A "major commitment"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charter Flights

Since Maggie asked about whether or not WSU has Charter flights, here is the status of that as I know it. WSU has had charter flights for at least the last 2-3 years to away games. Funding for them comes from the annual golf tournament held in late May. MT had this tournament for the past 2-3 yrs & it was held again this year, but it quickly became the GM tournament instead. I'm not sure if they have charter flights to every single away game. It might not be necessary, for example, for a game with Mo State.

I first became aware of these golf tournaments 3-4 yrs ago while still living in AZ. Former Shocker BB great, Lanny Van Eman, told me about them while we were playing in a WSU Alumni golf tournament in Phx. Lanny has participated in several of the fund raiser golf tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by shockall
      Perhaps there are some thoughts about moving to the new arena in a few years... :goshocks:
      Uh, I doubt the University would shell out all that money to renovate the arena just to move less than 10 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        Originally posted by Maggie
        There is no way they are adding more seats right now and WSU is not moving to another conference in the foreseeable future.
        Like I said, far-fetched, but they did come to mind.

In addition, WSU has no direct control over television exposure.
        Why not? IIRC, KSU has their own deal with FSN. Maybe there is something in the works in this regard.
        I know you wrote far-fetched, sorry I came across as a little to blunt. I was not aware of the T.V. deal that IIRC and KSU has with FSN – can you explain?

Increasing charter flights for CGM, while it does not have a direct impact on a potential recruit, it does show a serious commitment by the administration. That is something you can sell to a player. If I were a recruit – it is something I would consider.

Also, I hope they never move the arena away from campus. Of course, I am very partial to that building – I think the basketball atmosphere is unique.

Comment

The day we hired Gregg Marshal is the day we became Majorly Committed
          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Re: Charter Flights

Originally posted by xazshox
            Since Maggie asked about whether or not WSU has Charter flights, here is the status of that as I know it. WSU has had charter flights for at least the last 2-3 years to away games. Funding for them comes from the annual golf tournament held in late May. MT had this tournament for the past 2-3 yrs & it was held again this year, but it quickly became the GM tournament instead. I'm not sure if they have charter flights to every single away game. It might not be necessary, for example, for a game with Mo State.

I first became aware of these golf tournaments 3-4 yrs ago while still living in AZ. Former Shocker BB great, Lanny Van Eman, told me about them while we were playing in a WSU Alumni golf tournament in Phx. Lanny has participated in several of the fund raiser golf tournaments.
            If I recall correctly, I think last year it was stated that there was only one away game that WSU did not fly charter to. I guess it would either have been MSU or CU.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I know you wrote far-fetched, sorry I came across as a little to blunt. I was not aware of the T.V. deal that IIRC and KSU has with FSN – can you explain?
              IIRC = If I recall correctly. :)

I believe KSU negotiated it's own TV deal with FSN for games that aren't a part of the Big12 deal. Just like WSU does with KWCH.

Comment

I thought about an athletic dormitory, but that's not specific to men's b-ball.
                I believe NCAA prohibit strictly athletic dorms. I believe the equal opportunity for all students criteria is the basis.

Comment

IIRC = If I recall correctly. :)

I believe KSU negotiated it's own TV deal with FSN for games that aren't a part of the Big12 deal. Just like WSU does with KWCH.
                  IIRC -- if I recall correctly -- whoops. You learn something new everyday.

Comment

I really believe that it is a WSU team jet. It only makes sense. It is the next logical step to put us ahead of others in the recruiting battles.

"Hello potential WSU recruit, please step onto our team jet, would you like a beverage?" SOUNDS NICE!

Comment

I hope they wouldn't want to move to the new arena (I'm pretty sure they wouldn't since we just renovated). Koch is great! Sure it would be nice to have 12,000 or 13,000 people in a bigger arena. But look at Creighton's arena. They get 15,000 people there (which we would be able get that attendance too) but it feels like you're at an NBA game. There's an intimacy factor at Koch that makes it an amazing place to watch basketball.

Comment

It may have simply been a misunderstood statement, i.e. "The university is making a major committment to basketball..." or "is commtted to making major committments..." or something of that nature.

Or, it may be that we have decided to pony up and grease whatever Nigerian palms are out there in order to get Orupke here by mid December!
                        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

If the comment is 100% correct or even partially true as the great ones (President Beggs & Mr. Schaus) say "It's a great time to be a Shocker!" :good: :yahoo:
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                            I thought about an athletic dormitory, but that's not specific to men's b-ball.
                            I believe NCAA prohibit strictly athletic dorms. I believe the equal opportunity for all students criteria is the basis.

AFAIK, you're right, athletes cannot make up more than 49% of any dorm.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                              It may have simply been a misunderstood statement, i.e. "The university is making a major committment to basketball..." or "is commtted to making major committments..." or something of that nature.

Or, it may be that we have decided to pony up and grease whatever Nigerian palms are out there in order to get Orupke here by mid December!
                              Maybe we are opening a WSU extension campus in Lagos. :yahoo:
                              The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by RockChalkWUShock
                                I really believe that it is a WSU team jet. It only makes sense. It is the next logical step to put us ahead of others in the recruiting battles.

"Hello potential WSU recruit, please step onto our team jet, would you like a beverage?" SOUNDS NICE!
                                Cessna did have the newly created video on the jumbotron during pre-game last night....
                                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                                X