No announcement yet.

Gardner Webb and Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guarantee that most consider upsets like this the reason why college athletics is so exciting. It's now called parity but in fact it should be called mediocrity. A game like this is just disgusting and makes me want to puke because it's a complete mental let down. Unless you're just a Kentucky hater, this game should make you sick. Kentucky is a joke and yes I would fire the coach immediately! There is NO excuse for a game like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerDawg
      I guarantee that most consider upsets like this the reason why college athletics is so exciting. It's now called parity but in fact it should be called mediocrity. A game like this is just disgusting and makes me want to puke because it's a complete mental let down. Unless you're just a Kentucky hater, this game should make you sick. Kentucky is a joke and yes I would fire the coach immediately! There is NO excuse for a game like that.

interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        Could G-Webb be this year's Butler?

Probably not, but they have a similar opportunity.
        I think there will be more games like this around college basketball this season than ever before. Every year the little guys get better and better. There is enough talent out there that just about anyone can beat anyone on a given night.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

I think there will be more games like this around college basketball this season than ever before. Every year the little guys get better and better. There is enough talent out there that just about anyone can beat anyone on a given night.
          At least until the Big Boys start screaming and crying and whining and complaining that they're not getting enough love and attention, and a fair share of opportunities to play for a NC.

It used to be that the Big Boys could put a team, bench, coaching, fans, etc. out there and that would be enough to separate them from [most of] the rest of us.

I wouldn't put it past them to try and change the rules as much or as often as it takes to try to create a more artificial separation.

LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE!!

Comment

Mediocrity? No. Smaller programs are getting better every year. Follow basketball a little more and you will see that this is an increasing trend. Parity is at an all-time high. Did you not see the preseason upsets DII teams had? Ohio State, Michigan State, Baylor, etc. These are solid DI teams. Should all those coaches be fired, too? GMAFB. Matta? Izzo? Drew? Gillispie? Wow, what awful coaches! Kentucky will be a very good team this season and Gillispie is one of the best young coaches in the game. I won't argue that UK had a mental letdown and never should have lost, but these things happen. One thing rational people should not do is overract to them, like you have done. The Kentucky kids will learn from it, and will probably be a 4-6 seed in the Tourney. November games are virtually meaningless by March anyway.

Comment

Was it not SO-CRATES that once said "Be aware of underestimating your foe, or the Webb you weave could suddenly appear like the Atlantic Sun and maul you like the Runnin' Bulldogs did the Wildcats."
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Maybe the NBA vs. International effect is trickling into the college game.

All the "NBA" types at the elite schools are having trouble with fundamentally sound, experienced, team-oriented players.

Of course, a good shooting night always helps the little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by shox8498
                  At least until the Big Boys start screaming and crying and whining and complaining that they're not getting enough love and attention, and a fair share of opportunities to play for a NC.

It used to be that the Big Boys could put a team, bench, coaching, fans, etc. out there and that would be enough to separate them from [most of] the rest of us.

I wouldn't put it past them to try and change the rules as much or as often as it takes to try to create a more artificial separation.

LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE!!
                  What?

Look at the teams in the Final Four every year. The "Big Boys," as you put it, are doing just fine.

BTW, how would the "big boys" change the rules? I'm curious. They are moving back the three-point line next year, but since everyone knows this, I don't think it's a conspiracy.

Comment

The top end big boys will do OK, its the mid and lower pack of the "big" conferences that will feel a sense of entitlement just because of their conference affilitation.

Go earn it on the court.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      Maybe the NBA vs. International effect is trickling into the college game.

All the "NBA" types at the elite schools are having trouble with fundamentally sound, experienced, team-oriented players.

Of course, a good shooting night always helps the little guys.
                      I agree, and I think the "little guys" are as good as they've ever been.

I think the AAU circuit has something to do with it, too. The kids without the recruiting stars that still play on these AAU teams face great competition, meanwhile the five-star blue-chippers hear from day one how great they are. These little guys have needed to focus on the little things since day one to compete, but these uber-talented kids have just gotten by on talent alone. All the sudden Duke is playing VCU they choke one down the crapper.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

interesting.
                        Dennis' little brother.

Comment

Just to add some things from someone who lives in Kentucky..

Ok, I'll admit, after being a Shocker fan, UK is the team I grew up with. Last night we lost, but most people forget, that this team, with the exception of the freshmen, was geared to Tubby ball. I'm not making excuses for him, and neither is he, but a couple of weeks ago coach G said that they would either win by a bunch or lose by a bunch. I just hate that 2 games in UK fans are already up in arms! Give the guy some time to get his system in place. Also, it doesn't help when a starter and your sixth man are still recovering from off-season knee surgeries as well. Just give the man some time, he'll come around.

Comment

Here are some interesting stats from that game:

FG%
                            GW - 53%
                            UK - 35%

3FG%
                            GW - 47% (8/17)
                            UK - 32% (6/19)

Rebounds (off/def)
                            GW - 37 (6/31)
                            UK - 29 (11/18)

Turnovers, Points off turnovers
                            GW - 17, 18
                            UK - 12, 14

Assists
                            GW - 16
                            UK - 8

Points in the Paint (Isn't this what separates the UKs from the GWs?)
                            GW - 30
                            UK - 22

Fast break points
                            GW - 10
                            UK - 2

That's a pretty thorough domination by GW.

Comment

Nice work Royal.

The most amazing stat to me in that list is the rebounding. Who would have thought that a team with a bunch of little guys would be able to outrebound the bigger and much more athletic UK team.

Maybe its not so necessary to have a seven footer at the 5 after all.

I watch the entire game and was impressed with how GW thoroughly dominated the entire game. They crashed the boards and back-doored (insert joke here) UK to death. GW also knocked down every open shot. I think the closest the game ever got was something like 8 points.

Comment

Bit harsh dont you think!
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X