No announcement yet.

Gardner Webb and Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta love college basketball in November!!
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I dropped by their Rivals site. It's 11:30 and there are over 7200 people on just the basketball message board.

Can you say, meltdown?

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
        Nice recap! UK embaressed by loss to Mid Major!
        Mid-major??? Garner Webb????
        You mean low-major. lol

Wow - that is embarressing for a proud Kentucky program. Wow.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

the stud on their team is from kansas.(JC transfer)

last year they had a JC transfer from kansas named Jake Sims.(dodge city i think) he played at Augusta High School.

they must like kansas Junior colleges.

then again, most schools do.
          veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker
            Mid-major??? Garner Webb????
            You mean low-major. lol

Wow - that is embarressing for a proud Kentucky program. Wow.
            That is one problem with playing those cupcake non BCS teams - sooner or later you take a real hit on the ego. Doubt UK has to worry about it but it certainly will not help the RPI either.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
              http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273110096

Nice recap! UK embaressed by loss to Mid Major!
              In all fairness, he just said he was embarassed to lose. Not embarassed to lose specifically to a mid major. I think it's great GW won and Gillispie even said you can't just show up on the court and think you're going to beat somebody because you wear a certain jersey. No ill will to the mids there.

Comment

I don't recall Gillespie ever being afraid to play the little guys when he was aTm. Maybe he will be now.

But this will give him a tool to work with his team now. Like he mentioned about the jerseys, I can see something like, "If you ever want to wear that jersey again, then you'll pull your heads out of your rears and play basketball."

So the classic is screwed up now for the media in NYC. Boo Hoo :)

Comment

Link to UK message board

Comment

Billy Clyde probably needed a drink after that one.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                      I don't recall Gillespie ever being afraid to play the little guys when he was aTm. Maybe he will be now.
                      He wasn't afraid to play the little guy.. AT HOME that is. The guy always loaded up on cupcakes AT HOME. I think 2 years ago they loaded up on like 12 non-con home cupcakes and no roadies.

Maybe now that BCS teams are losing at home to just about anybody, they'll start scheduling a few more road games at middies.. seeing how a road loss is less of a penalty and since they apparently have nothing to lose.. 8)
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Sounds like some of their fans think that UK was just going through the motions last night. Things will change in Lexington.

Comment

This is especially funny because they now have to sit and stew about this for almost 2 weeks, as they blocked off their schedule thinking they would be a part of the rest of the tourney in NYC.

They will be chomping at the bit for the entire two weeks, and could possibly lay another egg vs. Liberty when they return to action thanks to all the pent up aggression.

Is college basketball great or what?

PS. What is Tubby thinking right now? Probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Could G-Webb be this year's Butler?

Probably not, but they have a similar opportunity.

Comment

Is GW the same team that (if I recall) everybody gave fits to Drake (or possibly another Valley team) for playing (them) last year, or am I just reliving a bad memory?

Comment

On KGSO this morning, they were talking about how the UK players obviously thought they could just show up and GW would roll over. Made me think about that Eagle article on Sunday about work ethic (or lack thereof) with many of today's young-ins. Good article, which I think is still up at kansas.com I believe.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X