No announcement yet.

WSU V Arkansas Tech Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with the inside game is we didn't go inside enough. Even Marshall talked about that.

I don't have a problem with the 3's. They were open shots that just didn't fall.

Cooz is a freaking stud.

Mantas is an animal on the boards.

We missed too many bunnies inside

Many of the turnovers weren't bad really. Some communication issues and stuff. That'll be worked out.

Crowd really disappointed. I'd be surprised if there were more than 9k there.

There was a Stutz sign that made it on the screen many times. No chant.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

the fact that mantas grabbed 11 boards excites me.

First game jitters still got that W which is clearly important.

Yeah i will def be there on Thursday im kicking my self square in the grapes for tonight

Comment

"Crowd really disappointed. I'd be surprised if there were more than 9k there."

Yeah, that's about what I was estimating. Atmoshpere at last night's Volleyball match may of actually been better.

I don't have much to add regarding individual players.

I do think Shocker Fans will enjoy the style of play that Coach Marshall is bringing to town.

I also liked the new player intro video.

Garrett Stutz was sitting about 20 feet from me with his Mom and he had a big smile on his face when they showed the "Garrett Stutz Sign Here" sign on the Video Board.

Atmosphere could have been better but the Shocks really never got on a big roll.

Consider all the new players, coaches, systems and nervousness I think the guys did OK. A lot of the issues we did have this game are easily correctable IMHO.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

I'm not sure I'm much of a fan of the new home whites......

The blacks could be pretty cool if they'd be gold where the stripes would be. But if they go with white there I'm just not sure.

Sorry ASM. No pix from me.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I love the style of play that I see and the plays are beautiful the timing is off occasionaly but at this point in the season what do you expect. That had so many wide open looks they just didn't knock down. The guys that did finish are the guys that have played in that building before. First Div 1 game I think we saw a lot of firsts tonight. Theyll get more comfortable but we got ourselves a good coach. :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

The blacks could be pretty cool if they'd be gold where the stripes would be. But if they go with white there I'm just not sure.

The Uni's, well, they suck. Black and white accented by what was that gray?

Comment

Ellis was easily the tallest dude on the court (about 2 inches taller than PT)and he can play the 3. He has unlimited upside.

Gal looked GOOD. Decent D and an ankle breaker move that left his man on the floor while he drained an uncontested 3. He did get a little lazy and their quick little PG picked him for an easy layup.

Burley looked decent in his limited minutes. He didn't look lost like last year's end-of-the-bench bigs.

Ramon will be fine. He was in the mix but seemed to be a little too anxoius to finish.

Mantas has big time ups and is pretty smart with his positioning. His shot looks pretty, just didn't fall tonight.

Hatch got a few boards but he seemed a step slow on D.

PT looked like first part of the season PT from last year and he actually made a few free throws.

Matt looked very confident behind the arc.

PJ was just PJ. He will be fun to watch this year.

WP had a tough night. He looked much better in the scrimmage than he did tonight.

Comment

The fact that you thought of it is enough for me :good:

Comment

Originally posted by top20shock

I disagree... I thought hte new unis looked great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
                      Originally posted by top20shock

I disagree... I thought hte new unis looked great!!!
                      You might be the only one. I liked the design but I think they look off without the yellow. Nobody I sat with liked them.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

just like wushock the mascot, its gonna take time to get used to the change.
                        ________
                        Hotels In Mexico
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

I liked the new uni's. I do think they could have some yellow on it. From what I can see though I like the new look.

Comment

Originally posted by goshocks
                            just like wushock the mascot, its gonna take time to get used to the change.
                            He still needs a skirt... (No homo, ASM)
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Now that I'm home here are my random thoughts on the game.

Unis plain old sucked. The design wasn't bad, but no yellow. Reminded me of the old days when generic food wasn't "Food Club" or "Kroger" but just the black and white that said "Beer" or "Peas."

This year will be no different from next year if we can't get some post presence.

Gal's ankle breaker move to three-pointer was video game worthy as was his behind the back pass. Some of his bonehead work on routine plays was not. Typical Gal.

PJ's shot looked good from the outside.

Durley and Clemente will need to play well. We also need a true center. I know I'm not plowing new ground here.

Did anyone else notice the 3/4 press to zone we ran? Reminded me of Creighton.

The score was closer than the game really was. The outcome was never in doubt.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Some random thoughts as follows:

1. I liked the uniforms on balance. I would prefer larger lettering. Maybe the players can switch to yellow shoes, sorta like the Oregon Ducks.

2. On in bound plays by AT under the basket, the Shockers played man. I am surprised there has not been an outcry of outrage on this very board.

3. I liked the Shocker time out call with 14 seconds to go in the half. A play was set up. I assume it was to simulate a game winning shot. Gal's shot was blocked. Regardless, I am sure the game management folks are happy.

4. In the first half, Gal did not get his first rest, until the 12:30 mark. I found it very interesting. I am not sure why. Matt got his first rest at the 15:00 mark.

5. The crowd was almost lifeless. It was not the best of crowds with which to impress Mr. Stutz.

6. I have some grave reservations about the cheer leaders....er, cheer squad.

7. I was almost mesmerized by Aaron Ellis. When was the last time we had a 6-9 guy running around in shorts all over the court? Well, practically never. I sure hope he works out. If so, he will give fits to our opponents 3 and 4 men.

8. Hatch's only shot was pretty ugly. Nerves, I imagine.

9. I was surprised Burley played in the first half.

10. Mantas lost the ball on turnovers a couple of times. I imagine the speed of the game might have surprised him a little. Or he could have been careless. However, he doesn't seem like the careless typle.

11. If P.J. goes down, forget everything and including any optimism you might hold about the team's fortunes for this season.

12. PJ made 3 of 4 from 3, I think. One shot was his old shot - flat as hell. The others had more arch.

13. I could hear the audio portion from the video board just fine.

14. Surely there are some better ideas for half time intertainment. Maybe, we can bring back the Walking Waves. It could be a reunion of sorts. Ninety percent of Royal's fine readers are way too young to know about the Walking Waves.

15. I know it is expecting the impossible, but I hope E.O. can step off the plane and start clogging up the middle. We are in desperate shape at the 5. Beginning with UMKC on December 15, EO's first six games will be UMKC, LSU, UAB, Drake, Illinois State and Bradley. I cannot imagine Coach Marshall will red shirt E.O.

16. We played a lot of zone press and alternated between zone and man half court defense. I am sure this appeased many on this fine forum. Still, it is disturbing the Shockers played man on in bound plays under the basket.

17. If Matt goes down, we will be in trouble. Not as much as we would be, if PJ goes down, but trouble enough.

18. Pregame warm up drills were very interesting, particularly the emphasis on defensive play.

There is not any doubt, there is a new Marshall in town and I think we are gonna like his style very much. It might take a couple of years, but I believe we will have a top notch brand of exciting basketball at Koch. In the mean time, it will not be too shabby either.

(Yes, some of my remarks are tongue in cheek.)

Comment

Working...
                                X