No announcement yet.

The First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see the advantages of doing that. But personally I like the idea of them getting out there in a game situation and going at it like that. But that's how I feel. On the bonus side of that they get some exposure to the atmoshpere while they're doing it and get a little experience under their belt before the real games start. I think there's something to be said about game experience that you just don't get in a practice or scrimmage (Glorified Practice). At least, that's how I've always seen things. I know I always learned more about myself and my teammates through games.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The exhibitions are a must for one big reason: $$$$$$$$$

The scrimmage vs exhibition argument is really pretty compelling on other levels, but in the end it is a moot point. It would be tens of thousands of dollars of lost revenue to lose the exhibitions. Game over.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I thought the $$ would be the ruling situation and I can understand that. The coach did not seem too concerned about not doing it like at Winthrop. I thought it was an interesting idea and showed me some creativity on his part (or at least someone's part) to try and improve the opportunities to prepare the team.

Did anyone talk about the mention of the team going to the Maui tournament in two or three years?
        It would be fun to see them there in the small gym trying to keep from slipping on the wet flooor and getting leg cramps.

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread, but the $$ situation shouldn't be a big deal, unless they reduced the price of season tickets. Remember, they are all season and student tickets.

The only potential revenue is from non-redeemed student tickets (maybe $5000 worth) concessions, souvenirs and advertising. But then there are labor and utility costs, too. Pep band, video crew, ushers, parking people, statisticians, etc.

Comment

It would be interesting to see the numbers, but I am pretty sure that

Game day income - ticket sales > expenses

Comment

But the question is, how much more?

I hope we don't need to go against the wishes of the head coach for a measly few thousand dollars. Don't forget, we also have to pay the guarantee, which I would bet is more than anything we'd have to pay or incur to scrimmage another D1 squad.

So maybe this is a better formula to question:

Is . . . resold tickets + concessions + souvenirs + advertising > expenses + opponent guarantee ?

Comment

Regarding the exhibition game issue I emailed ADJS and received a reply.

Basically, exhibition games do produce a "pretty decent amount" of revenue, and it is above expenses. So that is one factor.

He also said there is merit in considering having one exhibition game and one scrimmage.

The women's team scrimmaged at Texas Tech this year and JS said the experience was "excellent".

Comment

Royal,
                  Thanks for the note from ADJS. This is something to be looking for in years as we go forward.
                  :goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Basically, exhibition games do produce a "pretty decent amount" of revenue, and it is above expenses. So that is one factor.

He also said there is merit in considering having one exhibition game and one scrimmage.

The women's team scrimmaged at Texas Tech this year and JS said the experience was "excellent".
                    Nice job. thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

I think many of us would agree that one exhibition would be more than enough to satisfy our appetites (as fans) until the season begins. And if the Head Coach feels he could get more out of his team (as far as preparation) in a controlled scrimmage against another D1A team then I say go for it.

Comment

Does anybody actually do this?

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                            Well, scrimmaging another Division I team would hardly be an option if no one else did. :D
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                              This fall, Georgia scrimmaged Clemson and Baylor scrimmaged SMU.

Comment

So who would WSU scrimmage then? I ccan think of a few I would like to see. Also, do people get to attend these things?

Comment

Working...
                                X