No announcement yet.

The First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely JT will be in the mix? Maybe he won't start but surely 8 minutes a game?

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
      Kennedy asked how Ellis might do guarding a 6'3" or 6'4" guy who might be pretty quick. Marshall said he'd have to see how that worked out.
      He also pointed out that said 6'4" player was gonna have a heck of a time trying to defend Ellis on the other end. I get the feeling we're not going to be hearing, "they went small, so we had to go small."

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
        Marshall never mentioned Durley in the mix at the post. He didn't seem happy to be using a 6'6" post, but Marshall discussed the rotations he would use when he moved Clemente to the post.

Marshall said - and I think I have this quote right - at least as right as Bob Lutz would get it, "Right now Durley is the only guy who doesn't really have his motor revving".

Either Durley will get into some games out of desperation and show that he's a better game player than practice player, Durley will bump up his efforts in practice, or Durley's game-time participation will be to make sure a chair doesn't levitate off the CKA floor.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
          Marshall never mentioned Durley in the mix at the post. He didn't seem happy to be using a 6'6" post, but Marshall discussed the rotations he would use when he moved Clemente to the post.

Marshall said - and I think I have this quote right - at least as right as Bob Lutz would get it, "Right now Durley is the only guy who doesn't really have his motor revving".

Either Durley will get into some games out of desperation and show that he's a better game player than practice player, Durley will bump up his efforts in practice, or Durley's game-time participation will be to make sure a chair doesn't levitate off the CKA floor.
          I wonder if Marshall's comments about Durley are as much part of an attempt to get that motor revving by embarrassing him in public as anything else. Hopefully JT figures out what it takes for him to play with the intensity that Marshall is looking for, because we could really use him in the post.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
            I wonder if Marshall's comments about Durley are as much part of an attempt to get that motor revving by embarrassing him in public as anything else. Hopefully JT figures out what it takes for him to play with the intensity that Marshall is looking for, because we could really use him in the post.
            I've waited to comment on this but this, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what's going on. They are using a different style of motivation with JT than with any other player outside of Arbry Butler. Whether this is the culmination of talks with JT's previous coaches and/or parents or even JT, I don't know, but the decision has been made to "ride" JT.

This has meant little to no mention of JT to the media.

My guess is that JT knows how good he is, but is tempted to rest on his god-given abilities. He seems to need "external" motivation to improve and put forth maximum effort. We've quickly found out how that sits with CGM.

I expect to see solid contribution from JT this year, just don't expect a lot of effusive praise from the coaching staff.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Well, I had concerns that I felt were valid when JT couldn't get in shape, he's 18 for petes' sake.

And I think I was pretty close when I said that Butler would be coming off the bench to relieve at the 4 spot. Now, with him out, CGM has to fill in the best way he can.

I don't get the rebounding at the rim bit. Is he saying our guys are going to be poised to rebound at rim level? What about the defending center that jumps a foot higher to get the ball. Seems like rather self-defeating to me, maybe I am not understanding it properly.

Ellis was listed at 6'8", and mentioned in an article that he was really 6'7 1/2", so he must have grown some more if CGM says he's 6'9". I am sure the players have already been measured and weighed, so Coach knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                I don't get the rebounding at the rim bit. Is he saying our guys are going to be poised to rebound at rim level? What about the defending center that jumps a foot higher to get the ball. Seems like rather self-defeating to me, maybe I am not understanding it properly.
                I didn’t listen to the show: Was there any mention of Butler's injury? Was it a tear or a sprain? In addition, how long will he be out? I am pleased that it seems Butler did improve enough to see some backup/spot minutes at the 4 no less. This is what I had hoped for but I have to admit it surprises me a little bit.

His comments about Durley are an obvious concern because it will force more players to play out of position if he cannot perform. However, from reading this thread it does seem to be an intensity issue and not necessarily a conditioning issue, which is probably a good thing.

Great news about Ellis. I am sure that CGM has had him attempt to guard PJ and Hawkins (when healthy) in practice. Despite being 6'9" Ellis should be able to guard smaller players – just needs to play smart, take a step back to negate any quickness advantage and use his length to contest shots. I think he will have issues at first with fouls but he will learn.

Snapshot9: CGM's rebounding approach is very smart. I am glad to see him adapt to his players even if it is not what he ultimately wants to do. If I had to guess by saying the team will be rebounding at the rim CGM is really talking about boxing out – hard – really putting a body on guys and getting them on your back. Basically, you are trying to create space and place the opposing player where you want them to be on the court – in a bad rebounding position. This would help to negate any height and/or leaping advantage the opposing player might have. Remember – Clemente and PT will probably be the starters at the 4 and 5 with GM and hopefully Durley providing some back up. CGM is probably going to be rotating in players at those positions that are no taller than 6'7".

Comment

AB: severe sprain, no surgery, out 5 weeks

The comment regarding rebounding was just that we don't have the personnel to outjump teams consistently for rebounds. If we aren't going to outjump them, we have to block them out. He wants the block outs to be good enough that we could rebound it off the floor if we have to.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                    Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                    I've waited to comment on this but this, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what's going on. They are using a different style of motivation with JT than with any other player outside of Arbry Butler. Whether this is the culmination of talks with JT's previous coaches and/or parents or even JT, I don't know, but the decision has been made to "ride" JT.

This has meant little to no mention of JT to the media.

My guess is that JT knows how good he is, but is tempted to rest on his god-given abilities. He seems to need "external" motivation to improve and put forth maximum effort. We've quickly found out how that sits with CGM.

I expect to see solid contribution from JT this year, just don't expect a lot of effusive praise from the coaching staff.
                    If he wont be accountable to his team in practice, hold him so in the public eye.

This is one of the things that I really like about Coach GM, he believes that the players must be accountable to the University and fans as much as they are to their teammates.
                    That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

At least 90% of all rebounds are gotten below the rim. CGM is trying to stress we need to box/block out to rebound.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
                        Originally posted by shocker22
                        Also it sounds like Butler was going to get alot more PT then we all thought as CGM stated with him going down Mantas goes from 3 to 4 PJ 2 to 3 and Gal 1 to 2. Surprising that he had that big of an impact. CGM must have liked his athleticism.
                        Is anyone else getting the buzzing feedback... "CBS Radio Network?"
                        It's very annoying and I'm about to toss a cold one through my monitor screen.
                        Yes, the audio had voice overs as well as the buzzing sound.

Just standard stuff for those folks. It has been like so for years.

Comment

I think another impression is worth adding.

Marshall pretty much said WSU doesn't have the personnel to rebound above the rim, so WSU would be rebounding at the rim and then explained how he was coaching players to rebound at that vertical level.

Marshall also made a point of saying WSU would have players in the future who could rebound above the rim and he would coach those rebounders differently.

My opinion: Orukpe, the recruitment of Stutz, the continued Nigerian connection...One way or another Marshall is going to bring in taller players with some ups. The apparent intention to use Butler as a backup for Clemente indicates Marshall likes players who play above the rim.

I'm starting to get a hint of the players I think Marshall likes. What we think of as underweight for frontcourt doesn't bother Marshall as much as us - if those players can jump and run.

Marshall likes height and athleticism at every spot on the court. Marshall is convinced he's going to get that at WSU. PG doesn't have to have height. Marshall has been heavily recruiting some 5'8" - 5'11" PG's, but the guys who have committed are long and athletic.

Marshall intends to put a WSU teaqm on the court that looks like what we see in the BCS schools in post-season. He's absolutely convinced he can do that at WSU.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'm starting to get a hint of the players I think Marshall likes. What we think of as underweight for frontcourt doesn't bother Marshall as much as us - if those players can jump and run.

Marshall likes height and athleticism at every spot on the court. Marshall is convinced he's going to get that at WSU. PG doesn't have to have height. Marshall has been heavily recruiting some 5'8" - 5'11" PG's, but the guys who have committed are long and athletic.
                            I have to disagree on one point. Marshall seemed to like Mekel a lot, even though Gregg said Gal was not as fast as some other players. My guess is that Gal has the inside track on starting at PG. I didn't get to hear the last bit of the discussion and perhaps something additional was said about the PG position??
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

It's pretty simple really:

Matt - consistency of performance, good outside shooting, really fast.
                              Gal - pretty solid, not as consistent as Matt, real good creativity, pretty good shooting, but not up to High School stats yet.

I think Matt will turn in a good year this year in all respects. (sometimes people forget how well he can shoot the ball), and Gal is primed to have
                              a breakout season that shows off his talents.

CGM wants the reliability of Matt at PG, but doesn't want to sacrifice having Gal's creativity on the court, but Gal could step in at PG anytime he is needed there. But this situation also poses a bit of a problem for coach in that PJ is suppose to play the 2 in order to prepare him for the future, and that's what PJ has been dedicating hisself towards.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                                But this situation also poses a bit of a problem for coach in that PJ is suppose to play the 2 in order to prepare him for the future, and that's what PJ has been dedicating hisself towards.
                                If three of them rotated and played equally, that is 26.6 minutes each. PJ and Kyle played about 28 last year, so not much difference.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X