Baylor message boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aargh
    Come on Shox fans, Baylor has the most long-suffering fans in the B12. This is the first year they've had a chance in BB since Bliss left. The fact that Drew turned it around so quick is amazing.

Baylor fans aren't "typical" B12 fans and they certainly aren't like KU or KSU fans who visit here.

BU fans are proud of their backcourt players. BU's backcourt is probably better than all but the elite teams in the B12. I've found several BU fans on their board who are familiar with all of WSU's perimeter players and the way ball is played in the Valley. There's no disrespect that wouldn't be expected on any opponent message board. There is optimism and hope for what BU's backcourt can do this year.

BU's backcourt is going to be like Wyoming's last year. 3 guys constantly moving and creating for themselves or each other. BU's backcourt is used to doing that in the B12. They're going to be a defensive challenge.

Please show some consideration for fans whose major programs have been either down or devastated in recent years. If ShockerNet continues to be a negative experience for our opponents fans, then we've become what we hate.
    Amen. While I have high expectations for this WSU team, early in the season I have to think that Baylor's experience makes them a clear favorite, and I think there are plenty reasons to think that a lose to Baylor won't look bad at all by the end of the year. They weren't consistent last year, but when they played well, it looked like they could hang with just about anyone.

As a side note, unless a team is your bitter rival, I have never understood bagging on a team that is on your schedule. Nothing good can come from going out of the way to say that your opponent is a bad team. If you lose, it makes the lose all the more embarrassing. If you win, by your own estimation you can't claim it as a quality victory. Baylor looks to be a very solid team and I am glad to be playing them, but even if they weren't, it surely wouldn't be in our best interest to say otherwise.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Great points by Aargh and MH.

I have really appreciated the information that the Baylor guests have provided on their players.

I think it is going to be a tough game and both teams have a lot of question marks to resolve in this early season game. I personally wish we were playing them later in the season.

Having said that, there is not a doubt in my Shocker mind that we will win. And I'm sure that is the same sentiment that the Baylor fans have as well.

I, for one, would like to see a home and home series.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
        Baylor has a lot to prove. Throughout the last 12 years of being in the Big XII, you could use the "we have experience" line over and over again. I think the Bears may be turning the corner, but it's hard to see after looking at the past. Until they prove it, I don't think it's a guarantee. Who can Baylor finish above in the Big XII this year? Colorado? Iowa State? Nebraska? Maybe Missouri?

It's nice that you guys are getting some votes in a preseason poll, but I wouldn't be bringing up the bubble talk quite yet.. :lol:
        you mean the experience 2 years ago when we didn't play a non-conference. a majority of our players last year were true freshmen, or sophs with 1/2 of a season experience.

Agreed that we have a lot to prove. That starts by beating WSU.

colorado, iowa st, texas tech, osu, ou, mizzou, nebraska, texas are the teams I see us beating. I'm not predicting a 4th place finish, but I do think we have to talent to beat any of those teams over a season.

Comment

Baylor fans, welcome to our board, and we do enjoy hearing your perspective about the matchup, and I would have to agree you are the favorite, but, we in the Valley sometimes get annoyed with the nuances of attitudes that

players in the B12 are always better talent than the Valley. Granted, recruiting for the B12 is probably not as hard as the Valley, but we do see
          many talented players come through, and we too, have many talented coaches. Please don't take it personal, but it does seem like a burr in our saddle sometimes.

You seem to have a pretty well balanced team this year, with some tall guys, which will probably give us some problems. You will be the first real test for our team, and win or lose, we will be a better team because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
            Baylor fans, welcome to our board, and we do enjoy hearing your perspective about the matchup, and I would have to agree you are the favorite, but, we in the Valley sometimes get annoyed with the nuances of attitudes that

players in the B12 are always better talent than the Valley. Granted, recruiting for the B12 is probably not as hard as the Valley, but we do see
            many talented players come through, and we too, have many talented coaches. Please don't take it personal, but it does seem like a burr in our saddle sometimes.

You seem to have a pretty well balanced team this year, with some tall guys, which will probably give us some problems. You will be the first real test for our team, and win or lose, we will be a better team because of it.
            I completly understand what your saying. We've grown very tired of the way the other Big XII teams treat us (in football and MBBall) and it does get very old. Of course in our case the treatment is justified, so you can understand how bad we want to be in the top 4 of the Big XII this year just to shut schools like oSu and KSU up...

Comment

I'm sorry if I came across as being harsh, but I am used to people from Big 12 schools coming on here and being asses. My perception of Baylor is what it is, but best of luck to you after we play you.

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that Wichita State should enter a game with Baylor or any other member of a BCS program with something to prove.

I think it's important to remember that attitude while playing the game.

Prove that we belong.

Comment

Baylor suuuuuuucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Saulbadguy
                    Baylor suuuuuuucks.
                    Oh Lord, did you have to post that? :(
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
                      Originally posted by Saulbadguy
                      Baylor suuuuuuucks.
                      Oh Lord, did you have to post that? :(
                      And point proven.

Comment

Baylor will get some good wins in the conference this year and shouldn't be taken lightly. The Bears have too much perimeter talent not to shoot their way to some wins. I don't think they'll finish in the top half of the league, but they won't be last. Iowa State has that cellar all to itself this year. Regardless, it will be a huge win if WSU can come out on top, due to the new system and players.

Saul, did you forget 72-70 this quickly? Surely not. They outrebounded you 55-40. :good:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Wow I am just reading this thread and laughing. As you know I am a WSU fan (family season tickets since the early 50s), but also a baylor fan.
                          Reading this thread it seems like the Shocks have been world beaters. R u kidding me? Am I missing something? The shox have been to the NCAA's once in what 25 years?
                          They have gone through what 5 coaches in the last 25 years (Cohen, Thompson, Smithson, Turgeon. and now Marshall).
                          Trust me I know Baylor has been horrible, but we have been to the NCAA's once in the last 25 years and been through about the same amount of coaches (also had a killing etc.) But saying WSU's program is by far and away better than Baylor's is ridiculous. I will leave you with this:Published: October 25, 1992
                          Wichita State will offer a money-back guarantee to basketball season-ticket holders.
                          "We're getting a number of people who have expressed tremendous disappointment in the quality of play the last three years," Athletic Director Gary Hunter said today. "They've indicated they don't want to sit through another season like last year."
                          That's why Hunter will offer the money-back guarantee in letters next week to alumni in Sedgwick, Butler and Harvey Counties.
                          But Hunter doesn't think many people will take him up on the offer, what with a new coach, Scott Thompson, running the team. Thompson replaced Mike Cohen, who resigned after last season.
                          "We've decided we'll let the season-ticket holders be the judges of whether or not we are making progress," Hunter said.

Ouch.....

Comment

With fans like you, who needs assholes?

Why do I have this sudden urge to invite KCShox over to give him my tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker
                              Wow I am just reading this thread and laughing. As you know I am a WSU fan (family season tickets since the early 50s), but also a baylor fan.
                              Reading this thread it seems like the Shocks have been world beaters. R u kidding me? Am I missing something? The shox have been to the NCAA's once in what 25 years?
                              They have gone through what 5 coaches in the last 25 years (Cohen, Thompson, Smithson, Turgeon. and now Marshall).
                              Trust me I know Baylor has been horrible, but we have been to the NCAA's once in the last 25 years and been through about the same amount of coaches (also had a killing etc.) But saying WSU's program is by far and away better than Baylor's is ridiculous. I will leave you with this:Published: October 25, 1992
                              Wichita State will offer a money-back guarantee to basketball season-ticket holders.
                              "We're getting a number of people who have expressed tremendous disappointment in the quality of play the last three years," Athletic Director Gary Hunter said today. "They've indicated they don't want to sit through another season like last year."
                              That's why Hunter will offer the money-back guarantee in letters next week to alumni in Sedgwick, Butler and Harvey Counties.
                              But Hunter doesn't think many people will take him up on the offer, what with a new coach, Scott Thompson, running the team. Thompson replaced Mike Cohen, who resigned after last season.
                              "We've decided we'll let the season-ticket holders be the judges of whether or not we are making progress," Hunter said.

Ouch.....
                              WTF was that?

You're bringing something up from 15 years ago into your "argument"? I dunno if that's even legal in the rules of internet arguing.

Comparing Baylor and WSU's basketball history is laughable. I honestly can't believe you're serious. When's the last time Baylor made the NCAA's? What's the mighty Bears average attendance numbers over.. say the last 15 years?

That post was just.. well.. :cry:
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker
                                As you know I am a WSU fan (family season tickets since the early 50s), but also a baylor fan.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Working...
                                X