The Team and Injury #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
    If he has torn it, couldn't he apply for a medical redshirt, giving him an additional year of eligibility? I have heard of several NCAA Football players doing it (some more than once) to recoup lost time due to injury.
    Yeah, he could get a medical redshirt, but the point is he worked his tail off to make his grades so that he could play this season and not get kicked off the team, and now this happens. It's gotta be tough to maintain motivation when you can't play for 2 years straight. I'd think that if he can play at all this year we should put him in to give him some confidence. Also, if nobody's expecting him to become a major contributor, having his scholarship on the books for another year might not be the best strategic move.

Comment

Well I hope it is a sprain and not a tear. On the positive side, the fact that Marshall is "not jumping to any conclusions" regarding a future without Butler may mean that he was improving and might have seen a few minutes early in the season. Now I did not expect a lot out of Butler this year but I do see this as a positive sign that the kid is working hard in practice. Hopefully, it is not a tear and he recovers quickly.

I do not know much about Marshall but I would think that given the intensity that he expects out of his players that he would really prefer a 9 or 10 man rotation – if he is going with an 8 man rotation it has to be out of necessity.

Comment

I beleive that one can ONLY apply for a 6th year AFTER he has completed graduation in 5 years. Is that right, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
          Originally posted by WuShockFan
          An eight or nine man rotation is fine. With the way Coach Marshall conditions his players, the guys won't get tired in an eight or nine man rotation.

PJ, Ramon, Mantas, Matt, Phil, Gal, Wendell, JT, and Aaron - that's a good nine man rotation. I don't expect Burley, Hatch, Michael, or Lance Harris to be in the regular rotation.

The way I see it, Mantas is big enough to play the 4, but will probably start at the 3. PJ can play the 3 or the 2. Ellis can play the 3. Matt, Gal, and Wendell can play the 1. Gal can play the 2. Ramon, Phil, JT, Mantas, and possibly Ellis can play the 4 and 5. There are plenty of players to fill the spots. There's more height in that rotation than last year. More athleticism also.

It's unfortunate that Butler won't be available to play, but I don't think it hurts us much right now.
          Okay, but I disagree with you on the 4 position. JT and Phil will be playing the 5 to start with, Gris will be a the 3, and Ellis, IMO, will come off the bench to relieve Gris. Now, who is going to relieve Clemente at the 4?

Granted, Ramon, I suspect, will play more minutes than normal, but someone will have to spell him now and then at the 4, and if Gris is at the 3, and Ellis spells him, then back to my original question, who relieves Ramon?
          If I had to guess, I think you are going to see a rotation between Clemente, Durley and PT at the 4 and 5 spots. Durley is really going to have to improve for this to work. Otherwise, you might see Gris there from time to time because if memory serves he was forced to play the 4 at the juco level.

Let's hope EO actually shows up in December and can play.

Comment

Originally posted by DCShockerFan05
            Also, if nobody's expecting him to become a major contributor, having his scholarship on the books for another year might not be the best strategic move.
            Just a personal guess, but, if we sign more players than available scholarships I believe Hatch and Butler would be the odd men out.

Edit: Assuming players do not leave early ie... Gal.
            Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
              I beleive that one can ONLY apply for a 6th year AFTER he has completed graduation in 5 years. Is that right, anyone?

I am pretty certain you are correct AND iirc, you must be in position to graduate or something along those lines.

Comment

That is how I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                  Also, if nobody's expecting him to become a major contributor, having his scholarship on the books for another year might not be the best strategic move.
                  Just a personal guess, but, if we sign more players than available scholarships I believe Hatch and Butler would be the odd men out.

Whoa, it's way too early to be making any predictions about Hatch. He's been seen in one scrimmage. At least Butler has been viewed in pickup games, individual workouts and a couple exhibitions last year.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Whoa, it's way too early to be making any predictions about Hatch. He's been seen in one scrimmage. At least Butler has been viewed in pickup games, individual workouts and a couple exhibitions last year.
                    Also Hatch appears to have a smooth shot from the outside and is still knocking the rust off after a two year Mormon mission.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Personally, I think it is far to early to make those sort of assumptions about any player.

Comment

Butler has really been improving and Hatch will be a player. If they want to be here then they will be here.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
                          If Butler doesn't play in any games at all then he will have another year of eligability I think. Ususally the medical redshirt comes into play for players like Funk that only played the first few games of the seaon before being injured. Every injury is looked at as a case by case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
                            I cant say for sure but I think that was an error not listing Durley. There is no way that he wont be in a rotation.
                            I agree. Coach was rattling off names and he just forgot one. Just a little oversight. Don't read too much into it.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
                              Originally posted by McShocker
                              If Butler doesn't play in any games at all then he will have another year of eligability I think. Ususally the medical redshirt comes into play for players like Funk that only played the first few games of the seaon before being injured. Every injury is looked at as a case by case basis.
                              But if he is in a position to come back with a good percentage of the season remaining, I don't think they will give it to him. Just keeping him out of games, even though he's healthy enough to play, probably won't fly with the NCAA.

Comment

I understand that it is too early to make predictions and shouldn't have. However, I do see that if roster turnover were to occur it would occur in the freshman class. I'm not going to get into the why Hatch question.
                                Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Working...
                                X