No announcement yet.

The Team and Injury #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senior PT has a solid Senior year=very good---that's good-that's good!

1st SN poster with Amnesia followed by the famous DD kick=very bad and very painful.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
      All this talk and nary a mention of PT. I will be collecting a whole wheel barrow full of crow in a couple of months. Just remember this chatter come say, January. The first one who claims selective amnesia will get a kick square in the grapes. 8)
      I not only agree that we need Phil to play well to be a good team, but I too expect him to have a big year. Between adjusting to the style of Valley officiating (as Kyle did after his first year in the Valley) and the fact that Marshall seems to be exactly the kind of coach Phil needs to keep his head straight, I see him being much more consistent. We all saw is ability early last year. This year I think we will see it all season long.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
        Originally posted by McShocker
        I am sure we will get torched at some point by a really good big guy, and when we do, I am prepared to hear about it, but the majority of the time we are going to be fine.
        And it will be at a time we can least afford it to happen. That's why the size thing will bite us in the rear more than once this year.
        It will very likely happen more than once this year. I don't expect to be unbeaten, and I don't think our losses will usually be due to guard play. I am saying that we have more size, athleticism, and depth than last year, and that we will not get beat inside over and over again like we did last year. Last year we depended on a 6'8" finesse guy, a 6'5" warrior, and a 6'7" guy that lost it midway through the season. I think we will be much better inside this year.

Comment

I've been predicting a good year from PT since about the end of last season.

Last MVC season when PT came into games and the Shox were up by 4, I turned to my wife and said, "Watch this, we'll be down by 4 within 4 minutes". That was true almost every time.

PT has more talent than that. He does need to learn not to sucker for head fakes. He got eaten alive by that last year in the Valley.

I imagine that Marshall or assistants have reviewed film of every foul MVC officials called on Phil and are working with him on what gets called.

Griskenas is a "natural" 3, but he made 1st team NJCAA as a 4.

Durley is likely to get some "ready or not" minutes at the 5. If the "or not" becomes a factor, Clemente can probably hold his own in the paint in Valley play.

Even after Orukpe gets here, WSU will have trouble with 6'9"+ athletic post players. Just like every other team in the nation. 2" or 3" only matters if the taller guy is as athletic and skilled as the shorter guy. Athletic and skilled guys 6'9"+ are a scarce commodity.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

WSU obviously needs PT to have a solid year. But he needs to play stronger and smarter. While the team is more athletic than last year, I am still concerned about post defense. I agree that Clemente will probably grab the most boards; however, if PJ is next then PT, Durley and to a lesser extent GM/Ellis are not doing their jobs. PJ grabbed a lot of boards for a 2/3 last year but I would like to see him be able to release more after the shot and possibly get some easy baskets in transition. But for that to happen the players at the 5, 4 and 3 will have to step it up.

Comment

I am glad to read all of the optimism about the 5 spot.

Until E.O. arrives and plays, I am less than enthused.

We play UMKC on the 15th of December, will E.O. play in the game? Just wondering.

He will be getting off the plane in KC and going straight to the locker room.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                WSU obviously needs PT to have a solid year. But he needs to play stronger and smarter. While the team is more athletic than last year, I am still concerned about post defense. I agree that Clemente will probably grab the most boards; however, if PJ is next then PT, Durley and to a lesser extent GM/Ellis are not doing their jobs. PJ grabbed a lot of boards for a 2/3 last year but I would like to see him be able to release more after the shot and possibly get some easy baskets in transition. But for that to happen the players at the 5, 4 and 3 will have to step it up.
                My concerns rival yours, and I don't think PJ will be getting near as many boards this year especially if he is shooting a lot from the perimeter area,
                as the middle will already be congested with players. If he takes to the hole, maybe. I just don't think he will be 'in a position' to get that many boards this season playing at the 2 position.

But, I did like what I saw of Clemente and JT at the Madness. JT was pulling down boards, sometimes taking it back, and Clemente showed me some finesse moves that were good. Phil, IMO, is a toss-up on how he can end up playing this year.

Gris/Ellis and the guards are 'unknowns' at this point as how big a role they will play on rebounds.

But, PJ will be especially dangerous taking it to the hole, and he can dish it off if he doesn't see a finish. In addition, Gal should be the assist leader this year, and you can't forget Matt who turns in consistent performances on shooting and assists.

And I am betting that Orukpe shows up before Dec. 14th, maybe a couple of weeks before.

Comment

Snapshot9,

I think you are correct but I guess I don't necessarily want PJ to have to get as many boards. I want the players at the 4 and 5 to go aggressively to the glass.

As you pointed out, I think PJ will have the freedom this year to create off the dribble – which he can do effectively. That will leave, at times, good shooters like MB, GM and from what I am told Ellis open. Breaking down the perimeter defense is the key to beating a team like SIU – it puts a lot of pressure on their defensive rotations (which they excel at doing). Mekel showed he could do it last year and I am confident PJ can do the same.

I was pleased about the positive reviews about Durley – I hope Clemente's attitude rubs off on him – he could really take up a lot of space down low. MG, if I recall had respectable rebounding numbers at the juco level. At the D-1 level, I suppose his success or lack thereof will depend upon how aggressive he his. He has the size and the athletic ability so the only question is his desire to get on the glass. Your guess is as good as mine is about Ellis.

Whether Mekel will lead the team in assists will depend largely upon how much time he gets at the 1 spot. While I would like to see him starting, I do not think that is going to happen and I know MB won't give up his starting spot easily.

I am approaching this season as if Orukpe never shows up. I just can't bring myself to get excited about a freshman center from Nigeria – not matter what the coaching staff or the media says about him. Anything that kid brings this team in the second half will simply be a bonus.

Comment

Even with PJ being more aggressive this year, I could see him leading the team in assists. He'll definitely be up there in that category. As he attacks he's going to find a lot of open shooters outside or some nice dump offs to the big men.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Maggie's right about MB not giving up his starting spot easily, but he hasn't won the position yet either. If he had, Marshall would of put him in the "belongs on the floor category" with Ramon and PJ. More than ever, I think the starting spot will be Gal's in the near future. But either way, the in-house competition will make us stronger.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

Could Gal see time at 1, 2 and 3?

Comment

I'm sure most of will say 3 is out of the question. 1 and 2 for sure.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Any results known about Arbry's MRI today?

Comment

Working...
                            X