The Team and Injury #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Team and Injury #1

With the article about Butler's injury, where will that put us???

Without anymore players or without Orukpe here, I think Burley has to come in for JT at the 4, or else, Ellis shifts to the 4, and Burley comes off the bench at the 3 to relieve Gris. (suggestion to shift Ellis is because he is 6'8" and Burley 6'7").

I can also see Richards getting some minutes down the line.

An 8 man rotation is not weak, but not strong either, and I think it would affect us in any post season play. I would prefer to have a 9 or 10 man rotation. Being too small or not enough guys on rotation tends to 'beat' a team down by the time the post season comes around.

I am sure that this will increase our efforts some to get Stutz for next year,
    and he is looking like a good fit for him and us. He would get plenty of playing time.

What do you think?

So Stutz originally considered a scholarship offer from K-State but rejected them because the coach hasn't had any success in D1 basketball - ouch.

Comment

I wasn't planning on seeing much help from Butler this year. What sticks out in the article is the lack of Durley in the group "that have some things they need to work on, but certainly have shown they can play." Reports from Shocker Madness gave hope that he was ready to play. Because of this, we need Orukpe more than ever. I still look for Mantas to big a big factor on the team and expect him to play more PF when we don't have Orukpe. I don't understand looking to Burley for immediate help when he isn't in the above mentioned group.

On the positive side, it is looking like Ellis will be a contributor this year which I wasn't counting on going into Shocker Madness. I think it will mostly be at SF. And, Clemente looks to be better than even expected.

A eight man rotation is fine. Hopefully it will be nine during the 2nd semester.

I believe our efforts to have Stutz as a Shocker have been 100% for sometime.
      In the fast lane

Comment

I cant say for sure but I think that was an error not listing Durley. There is no way that he wont be in a rotation.

Comment

Butler injury

If we were really going for an 8 man rotation, Butler would not have been in the mix anyway. He does have a lot of upside, but he needs to work at it. This is a tough break for Aubry.

I do think this does force Mantas to play some PF to back up Ramon in addition to Aaron. Durley will back Phil T and also for Ramon depending on match ups. PJ should get the most minutes anyway. With him playing some SF in addition to SG, this will give Gal more opportunities.

Comment

An eight or nine man rotation is fine. With the way Coach Marshall conditions his players, the guys won't get tired in an eight or nine man rotation.

PJ, Ramon, Mantas, Matt, Phil, Gal, Wendell, JT, and Aaron - that's a good nine man rotation. I don't expect Burley, Hatch, Michael, or Lance Harris to be in the regular rotation.

The way I see it, Mantas is big enough to play the 4, but will probably start at the 3. PJ can play the 3 or the 2. Ellis can play the 3. Matt, Gal, and Wendell can play the 1. Gal can play the 2. Ramon, Phil, JT, Mantas, and possibly Ellis can play the 4 and 5. There are plenty of players to fill the spots. There's more height in that rotation than last year. More athleticism also.

It's unfortunate that Butler won't be available to play, but I don't think it hurts us much right now.

Comment

From the article:

Marshall hopes to have at least an eight-man rotation. "We need a couple other guys to step up," Marshall said.
              Durley seems to be in the "needs to step up" group. Durley looked good at Shocker Madness. That was a scrimmage and pretty much a street ball kind of game. Perhaps Durley doesn't look as good in a more disciplined style of play.

With all the conditioning work, I was beginning to expect Marshall was looking for more minutes from players than we're used to seeing. A possible 8-man rotation isn't surprising.

Even if Durley is in the "needs to step up" group, I still think he's a likely backup for Thomasson at center. If Durley doesn't "step up", we could see Clemente getting some post minutes.

Griskenas and Ellis can play PF. Cooz can play SF. I think that type of rotation is more likely than Burley seeing anything but occasional minutes.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I had a "Grade 1" tear of my mcl on Labor day knee boarding at the lake. I didn't need surgery but you wouldn't have thought that as much as it hurt for a month.

The doctors and therapists told me that the mcl is significantly more painful than an acl injury. I'm guessing January sometime unless it's torn.

Not good.

Comment

I heard Marshall say once that he preferred a nine man rotation. He said that eight players were sometimes necessary but not the best and sometimes ten players could work but that could be too many also. It sounds to me from the article that neither Butler or Durley were doing what they needed to step up.

Comment

The timing really hurts because Butler is going to miss the games where he might actually get some valuable minutes. If Orukpe arrives (and probably even if he doesn't), this is basically a lost season for Arbry, I'm afraid.

Comment

I feel for arbry, he worked so hard to stay here and now he has this set back
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

The missed practice time is what is going to hurt AB. He wasn't going to see minutes this year, but this slows his development towards maybe being ready to contribute something by next year.

Comment

there are other things the kid can do though.

Yeah he cant run but go grab a chair sit it at the free throw line and work at that shot (move it back and forth accordingly)

He can also lift and work up his upper body.

This setback sucks goat testes. But in the end we will be fine.

Comment

If he has torn it, couldn't he apply for a medical redshirt, giving him an additional year of eligibility? I have heard of several NCAA Football players doing it (some more than once) to recoup lost time due to injury.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                              An eight or nine man rotation is fine. With the way Coach Marshall conditions his players, the guys won't get tired in an eight or nine man rotation.

PJ, Ramon, Mantas, Matt, Phil, Gal, Wendell, JT, and Aaron - that's a good nine man rotation. I don't expect Burley, Hatch, Michael, or Lance Harris to be in the regular rotation.

The way I see it, Mantas is big enough to play the 4, but will probably start at the 3. PJ can play the 3 or the 2. Ellis can play the 3. Matt, Gal, and Wendell can play the 1. Gal can play the 2. Ramon, Phil, JT, Mantas, and possibly Ellis can play the 4 and 5. There are plenty of players to fill the spots. There's more height in that rotation than last year. More athleticism also.

It's unfortunate that Butler won't be available to play, but I don't think it hurts us much right now.
                              Okay, but I disagree with you on the 4 position. JT and Phil will be playing the 5 to start with, Gris will be a the 3, and Ellis, IMO, will come off the bench to relieve Gris. Now, who is going to relieve Clemente at the 4?

Granted, Ramon, I suspect, will play more minutes than normal, but someone will have to spell him now and then at the 4, and if Gris is at the 3, and Ellis spells him, then back to my original question, who relieves Ramon?

Comment

Working...
                              X