Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle article on Turg

I think that he makes a good point:

Turgeon has already had his eyes opened by what Gillispie left for him in the cupboard.

"When I first moved here, athletically was the biggest (surprise)," Turgeon said. "It was, 'Wow! What a jump from what I had, from what I was able to recruit at Wichita."'
    But having seen the group that GM was able to put together in a very short time frame, I think it very much was mind over what mattered. He felt the Toure Murrays and AJ Hawkins of the world would rather go somewhere else.

You have to believe in yourself and in what you are trying to accomplish to get other people, especially kids, to buy into it.

And Eric Wedge is Bobby Knight's next-best friend after Tony LaRussa.

Comment

But I wonder if Bobby knows that Wedge was a WSU grad?

Comment

"When I first moved here, athletically was the biggest (surprise)," Turgeon said. "It was, 'Wow! What a jump from what I had, from what I was able to recruit at Wichita."'
        And he's trying to make a positive case for not being the big deal around town? ROFL

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ Turgeon!

T

...8)

Comment

When I read that quote I knew it would be taken wrong.

He's talking about the size and athleticism mix.

A few of you really have got to stop looking for things to complain about. There is a difference between big conference school kids and other programs and that even includes Gonzaga. That's not a knock on the MVC, WCC, WAC, and others...it's just the way it is. Does that mean that they are actually better athletes...no. Does that mean WSU couldn't or wouldn't beat aTm et al if given the chance...no. We all know what a good program is possible of.

Comment

There is no way that quote can be taken wrong. Personally, I expect Kentucky (for example) to get better playes than us.

Comment

When I read the quote this morning, to myself I said, "Oh my God! ShockerNet is gonna have a field day with this statement."

It does not bother me, regardless of the words uttered by Coach Turgeon or its meaning as inferred by TurFin.

It is not any different than an NFL coach saying, "My players are bigger and faster then those I coached in college."

However, the delta between tier 1 and tier 2 college basketball teams is much narrower than the delta between pro and college football teams.

Just because a power conference team has better athletes, it does not mean it has better players. WSU proved that last year in spades. And the year before for that matter.

Athleticism is only a part of the winning formula. Other factors are coaching, discipline, hard work, heart, toughness, teamwork, camaraderie, attitude and probably a host of other factors.

Comment

well im just happy we have a coach now that can recruit better athletes.
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Who is this Turgeon guy?!!

Comment

My point was strictly reinforcing the fact that it was time to move on. He obviously felt that at Wichita State he wasn't going to be able to recruit the level of recruit to go to the next level, and that attitude obviously affected the recruiting classes the last 2 years. HCGM felt that he could not go to the next level at Winthrop, so he realized it was time to move on also.

Both coaches made the same decision, and for basically the same reasons. Both saw the potential of the program the would be taking over, and the ability to recruit players with higher potential.

Many posters on here are curious how Turg will fare with DeAndre and the others at Texas A&M, just as many Winthrop supporters are curious how HCGM will do with Wichita State. The belief that they can now recruit anyone with a chance at convincing them to come to thier school is a large boost for any recruiting effort. It is an attitude that Turgeon had lost here, and HCGM was having a hard time dealing with at Winthrop. And while a 5-star, Top 10 nationally ranked player will NEVER choose WSU over Kentucky, those very good 3 and 4 star players that would have sat the bench behind those players might, and that could lead us to a level that Creighton and Gonzaga have achieved the past 7-8 years.

Attitude and passion are things that HCGM has excess of, and the players will see the impact he has had here, and believe they will go not only to the dance, but go with a chance to go to the second weekend and beyond.

Comment

The quote that stuck out to me was the fact that he can take his family out to dinner without being disturbed or recognized and that no one is asking him for his autograph or taking pictures.

It sounds like basketball is not that important down there because Coach Marshall was recognized here in Wichita as soon as he walked on campus and when he is out in public and he certainly is very sociable.

I met Coach Marshall for the first time at a restaurant just after he and his coaching staff was hired and he was very cordial and even took the time to personally introduce himself and his staff to me.

:wsu_posters:
                      "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."
                      --Head Coach Gregg Marshall

Comment

The quote doesn't bother me at all. I will always be a Turg fan and wish him well.

On to 2007-2008 and the Marshall era !

Comment

Actually the quote that most stood out to me was MT throwing Fran under the bus. Allison and Smithson even made mention of it this morning.

Comment

If it's the "pressure is on coach Fran" comment, I only took that to mean that it's football season and the pressure is on the football coach.

Comment

Originally posted by TurFin
                              When I read that quote I knew it would be taken wrong.

He's talking about the size and athleticism mix.

A few of you really have got to stop looking for things to complain about. There is a difference between big conference school kids and other programs and that even includes Gonzaga. That's not a knock on the MVC, WCC, WAC, and others...it's just the way it is. Does that mean that they are actually better athletes...no. Does that mean WSU couldn't or wouldn't beat aTm et al if given the chance...no. We all know what a good program is possible of.
                              Whatever.......Last year during the b12 bb tourney he was interviewed on Jayhawk basketball radio (before he left). He made it a point to belittle the MVC vs the B12 as far as players go. I can't remember the specifics but I do remember that it wasn't like there was an opening for the comment but rather he just threw it out.

Turg was great why he was here and good luck to him. But all that "this place is special" blah blah blah crap that came out of his mouth was total bull crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X