Eagle article on Turg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockair
    The quote that stuck out to me was the fact that he can take his family out to dinner without being disturbed or recognized and that no one is asking him for his autograph or taking pictures.

It sounds like basketball is not that important down there because Coach Marshall was recognized here in Wichita as soon as he walked on campus and when he is out in public and he certainly is very sociable.

I met Coach Marshall for the first time at a restaurant just after he and his coaching staff was hired and he was very cordial and even took the time to personally introduce himself and his staff to me.

:wsu_posters:
    Give it time, I am sure the attention will get a little old soon enough. But if he wants to coach at a basketball school, that's part of it!!
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by mulligan
      So Denzel Bowles is now bigger and more athletic because he went to A&M.
      Yes. It's called "B(C)S magic!!" ;-)
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
        I believe Maurice Evans was considered by most a top 25 recruit, definitely not a top 10 consensus. Not to say that possibly a site didnt have him up there. And while I could be wrong, i didnt think it came down to WSU vs. Kentucky.
        No, it wasn't WSU versus Kentucky, it was worse... it was WSU versus KU and KU was just down the road. WSU can land a five-star recruit and has proven that many times over the last 40 years.

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
          My point was strictly reinforcing the fact that it was time to move on. He obviously felt that at Wichita State he wasn't going to be able to recruit the level of recruit to go to the next level, and that attitude obviously affected the recruiting classes the last 2 years. HCGM felt that he could not go to the next level at Winthrop, so he realized it was time to move on also.

Both coaches made the same decision, and for basically the same reasons. Both saw the potential of the program the would be taking over, and the ability to recruit players with higher potential.

Many posters on here are curious how Turg will fare with DeAndre and the others at Texas A&M, just as many Winthrop supporters are curious how HCGM will do with Wichita State. The belief that they can now recruit anyone with a chance at convincing them to come to thier school is a large boost for any recruiting effort. It is an attitude that Turgeon had lost here, and HCGM was having a hard time dealing with at Winthrop. And while a 5-star, Top 10 nationally ranked player will NEVER choose WSU over Kentucky, those very good 3 and 4 star players that would have sat the bench behind those players might, and that could lead us to a level that Creighton and Gonzaga have achieved the past 7-8 years.

Attitude and passion are things that HCGM has excess of, and the players will see the impact he has had here, and believe they will go not only to the dance, but go with a chance to go to the second weekend and beyond.
          and that could lead us to a level that Creighton and Gonzaga have achieved the past 7-8 years.
          I'll let you off the hook on this one.. we'll blame it on the seasonal changes or lack of sleep...

T

...8)

Comment

Even though I totally bought into Turgeon (considering he AND SCHAUS rescued our program from the bowels of years of mismanagement), I never liked the idea that he came from KU and certainly didn't like his many public statements about our school's potential in relation to other BCS schools. He seemed to marginalize the "prowess" of our storied basketball tradition with his mouth at nearly every public opportunity. He had the "us versus them" mentality which was good, except in the end he believed we couldn't overcome. Marshall is more "blue-collar" than Turgeon and certainly isn't part of the "establishment". Marshall believes we can (eventually) sock those BCS-bullies directly in the mouth and that is why I love him before he has even coached his first game. I always thought that Turgeon with all his connections would be able to recruit some fantastic players but if my memory serves, the only benefit his mentors ever afforded him that appeared to have material effect was getting us into the NIT the first time. That was a direct call from Roy.

And finally, I certainly won't miss Turgeon's penchant for recruiting #### He loved the "nice" kids who didn't have a mean bone in their body. I'll take the mean players and the subsequent on-court intimidation factor versus Turgeon's alter boys who always graduate yet buckle under the pressure.

T

...8)

Comment

Jamar Howard was a ####?????????
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

He seemed to marginalize the "prowess" of our storied basketball tradition with his mouth at nearly every public opportunity
                This is factually wrong. No coach in WSU history did more to honor and welcome back past greats and players from every era.

Look, I know some of this is natural ( look at the A and M boards and they are all bashing Gillispie, for example) but come on. I will always be grateful to Mark Turgeon.

I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Sitter
                  He seemed to marginalize the "prowess" of our storied basketball tradition with his mouth at nearly every public opportunity
                  This is factually wrong. No coach in WSU history did more to honor and welcome back past greats and players from every era.

Look, I know some of this is natural ( look at the A and M boards and they are all bashing Gillispie, for example) but come on. I will always be grateful to Mark Turgeon.

I'm done.
                  I am appreciative for all the hard work that was done but that same work ethic is found in many coaches across the country. You should be eternally grateful to Jim Schaus for hiring a competent coach with an IQ above 30.

People who have followed WSU basketball for many years and also followed Turgeon's frequent blurbs, understand what I'm talking about when I say he often marginalized our prowess. I sincerely believe that Turgeon did not think of Wichita State as a sleeping giant, merely an ample springboard. For that, I will be eternally bitter. As everyone on here knows by now I don't accept the "reality" that we are a stepping-stone job when compared to other BCS jobs and there are a large silent contingent who believe as me.

Being grateful is for those who stand in line for soup at the Red Cross every night or SIU-C fans. I am not grateful, I am expectant for a complete return to once was...

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                    The intensity and fearlessness that Jamar Howard brought to a Shocker game stood out like a sore thumb on Turgeon's early teams. I haven't seen that intensity since until Shocker Madness the other night. So maybe lightening was going to strike twice with his recruitment of Ramon. Regardless, the many collapses that Turgeon's teams exhibited was due to mental and physical toughness. When I actually ponder about Turgeon following up a Sweet Sixteen year with a softie like Kyle Wilson as our only answer down low I just shake my head. "How in hell did we ever get in that situation"? Come to think of it, it was a miracle we ever got to the Sweet 16 with a softie like Paul Miller...

I want blue-collar steel workers on the post, not accountants or social sciences majors... bring on the angry mouth-breathers who can rest their elbows on the rim!

I can't wait for the new era to begin!

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                      The intensity and fearlessness that Jamar Howard brought to a Shocker game stood out like a sore thumb on Turgeon's early teams. I haven't seen that intensity since until Shocker Madness the other night. So maybe lightening was going to strike twice with his recruitment of Ramon. Regardless, the many collapses that Turgeon's teams exhibited was due to mental and physical toughness. When I actually ponder about Turgeon following up a Sweet Sixteen year with a softie like Kyle Wilson as our only answer down low I just shake my head. "How in hell did we ever get in that situation"? Come to think of it, it was a miracle we ever got to the Sweet 16 with a softie like Paul Miller...

I want blue-collar steel workers on the post, not accountants or social sciences majors... bring on the angry mouth-breathers who can rest their elbows on the rim!

I can't wait for the new era to begin!

T

...8)
                      You are on a roll.

dlm

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony2
                        Who recruited Ramon Clemente?
                        Who recruited Tyrone Shoelace? :D 8) :posterwsu: 8)
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Ramon Clemente was originally a Nebraska recruit for Scott Spinelli. I actually think SS was brought on to recruit the "athletes" and not the "choir boys".
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Spin did seem to be bringing in much better athletes.

Cold was on fire.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony2
                              Who recruited Ramon Clemente?
                              a lil turgeon Jim Schaus and a lot of Gregg Marshall

Schaus was talking to me at the madness about how he had to text message the recruits and said he would get texts from Clemente at like 2am.... i thought it was funny..

When MT left Jim Schaus went o crap i gotta do something to keep all these players from going.

So he started texting like a middle schooler at recess.

It sure was awesome to see that list on Ramons Cribs, with all those big name schools marked off.... one of them being aTm...
                              "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                              CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

^Mark Turgeon got OWNED!

Comment

Working...
                                X