• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newshock1234
    well we get SIU on our Senior night

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/auto_pdf/..._pdf/Schedule2
    I like it!

Comment

Here's what we currently know of the Valley schedule. We can piece it together as more get released today.

Sun 1/3/10- Bradley
      Sun 1/31/10- @ SIU
      Wed 2/24/10- @ Bradley (senior night)
      Sat 2/27/10- SIU (senior night)

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
        Here's what we currently know of the Valley schedule. We can piece it together as more get released today.

Sun 1/3/10- Bradley
        Sun 1/31/10- @ SIU
        Add CU @ WSU 1/10
        WSU @ CU 1/16 4:05PM ESPN2

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown

Sun 1/3/10- Bradley
          Sun 1/31/10- @ SIU
          Add CU @ WSU 1/10
          WSU @ CU 1/16 4:05PM ESPN2
          Nice, we get to hand creighton 2 butt whippings in the same week :good:
          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Both Creighton games within 6 days of each other, that's interesting.

Comment

I like the revenge senior night game against SIU at our place.

Ya, what is the deal with the sCUm in 6 days crap?

I noticed a lot of Sunday games so far... especially in January..
              Smart Valley scheduling with the NFL and all.. :roll:
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

During the NFL Playoffs it really doesn't matter if the games are on Saturday or Sunday because you will be competing with the NFL either way up until the conference championship games. If playing on Sunday gives the Valley a better chance of getting televised games I am all for it.

Comment

We drew a tough Valley opener @ Illinois State.

Tues 12/29- @ Illinois State
                  Sun 1/3- Bradley
                  Sun 1/10- Creighton
                  Sat 1/16- @ Creighton
                  Tues/Wed 1/26 or 1/27- Illinois State
                  Sun 1/31- @ Southern Illinois
                  Wed 2/24- @ Bradley
                  Sat 2/27- Southern Illinois

Comment

Just after their non-con schedule may be the right time to play them at home.

Comment

We drew a tough Valley opener @ Illinois State.

Tues 12/29- @ Illinois State
                      Sun 1/3- Bradley
                      Sun 1/10- Creighton
                      Sat 1/16- @ Creighton
                      Tues/Wed 1/26 or 1/27- Illinois State
                      Sun 1/31- @ Southern Illinois
                      Wed 2/24- @ Bradley
                      Sat 2/27- Southern Illinois
                      Sounds perfect - we will be their toughest test to date.
                      Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Some people I work with have been speculating about which game would be played in the arena. The prevailing thought was that it would be a Sunday game so it would be the Valley game of the week. If you follow that logic, it looks like the Creighton game will be in Intrust.

I hope I'm wrong on this, but with us playing in Omaha the next weekend and the Thunder playing at Intrust the weekend after that, the only Sunday games in January are against Creighton and Bradley and Bradley is probably too early in January.

We could get lucky and the game in the arena be a midweek game though.

Comment

I just did some number crunching as MVC teams are releasing their schedules. I looked at the average RPI of each team's non-conference opponents (for 2008-2009) and seeing how each one holds up. It would definately seem that it's time for Elgin to put back the "150 or better" RPI rule. Here is how the team's that have released their schedule so far stacks up:

(I am doing "best possible" and "worst possible" for those that have tourney's where some of their opponents are unknown. And I went ahead and calculated WSU's even though we have yet to know what 2 "cupcakes" we get for the KC tourney which will definately bring our avg down)

Best/Worst RPI

Bradley = 164/164

Creighton = 136/160

Drake = 153/153

Illinois St = 225/225

Missouri St = 178/178

SIU = 178/178

WSU = 177/183

Indiana St = UNK/181

Evansville = 186/186 **

Now obviously we don't know if the teams on everyone's schedule will be definately better or worse this year. However, this is how the Valley would look at it if the "150 rule" was still in place I believe. Pretty sad really. It would be REAL scary to see the results if you took out the exempt tourneys and just looked at actual "scheduled" teams.

Creighton's appeared a LOT better than it actually is because of the Old Spice tourney. However, they won't get to play the WHOLE field. The main thing with theirs is that they have 3 teams on their schedule that were 300 or worse RPI last year.

Bradley's is also dragged down heavily. They may play OSU (28), BYU (21) and either Illinois (24) or Utah (30).....but they also have 5 teams that were 200+ RPI last year.

Of course we already knew that SIU's and Illinois St's schedules weren't good.

Ours no longer looks decent....LOL

Indiana St's best possible average is definately unknown. It will all depend on the preseason NIT and how they do. So I left that as a "unk"

** Evansville's schedule hasn't officially been released. This is pieced together by their fans. So it is subject to change when the schedule is released. They do have a couple good teams on their schedule with Butler and W. Kentucky. However, they have SIU-E and Georgia Southern which weighs them down heavily.
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I agree ShockerFan but I seem to recall difficulty in scheduling, especially when the MVC teams started killing giants. MT often commented on this issue and complained about issues such as 2 away games and 1 home game for even a mid to low BCS program. LSU is one of those better cases with a 1-1-1 and we all know how that series turned out.

Perhaps tournaments are the best approach?
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan
                              I just did some number crunching as MVC teams are releasing their schedules. I looked at the average RPI of each team's non-conference opponents (for 2008-2009) and seeing how each one holds up. It would definately seem that it's time for Elgin to put back the "150 or better" RPI rule. Here is how the team's that have released their schedule so far stacks up:

(I am doing "best possible" and "worst possible" for those that have tourney's where some of their opponents are unknown. And I went ahead and calculated WSU's even though we have yet to know what 2 "cupcakes" we get for the KC tourney which will definately bring our avg down)

Best/Worst RPI

Bradley = 164/164

Creighton = 136/160

Drake = 153/153

Illinois St = 225/225

Missouri St = 178/178

SIU = 178/178

WSU = 118/127

Now obviously we don't know if the teams on everyone's schedule will be definately better or worse this year. However, this is how the Valley would look at it if the "150 rule" was still in place I believe. Pretty sad really. It would be REAL scary to see the results if you took out the exempt tourneys and just looked at actual "scheduled" teams.

Creighton's appeared a LOT better than it actually is because of the Old Spice tourney. However, they won't get to play the WHOLE field. The main thing with theirs is that they have 3 teams on their schedule that were 300 or worse RPI last year.

Bradley's is also dragged down heavily. They may play OSU (28), BYU (21) and either Illinois (24) or Utah (30).....but they also have 5 teams that were 200+ RPI last year.

Of course we already knew that SIU's and Illinois St's schedules weren't good.

Ours is actually looking decent if the teams we play can do well again this year. We only have 3 teams 100+ RPI last year (of course as stated that will go up by 2 when we find out who we play before heading to KC)
                              Great work!

What about UNI, Evansville and Indiana State?

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                                I agree ShockerFan but I seem to recall difficulty in scheduling, especially when the MVC teams started killing giants. MT often commented on this issue and complained about issues such as 2 away games and 1 home game for even a mid to low BCS program. LSU is one of those better cases with a 1-1-1 and we all know how that series turned out.

Perhaps tournaments are the best approach?
                                It is tough to get those games with certain schools. But bringing back the penalty would help improve and get rid of some of the RPI killers on the schedules. Why play so many if any 300+ RPI teams? Or even 200+? A few are fine early but some schools have too many. Not every team we can schedule will be a top 150 team, but by keeping the noncon opponents under 200 or so would go a long way.

Getting into some of these tournament can be a great help and hopefully more Valley teams will continue to do this.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X