Another Stutz discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Stutz discussion

We've all heard that GS is working his butt off in the weight room this summer. He definitely needs it. We've also discussed over and over again about how he could have or could still use a redshirt year.

I think the 2 best examples of similar style players we have to compare him to are Paul Miller and Greg Dreiling (McD AA). Both of these guys had the benefit of 5 years in college, although neither took a voluntary redshirt, yet it helped their careers exponentially. In looking at Garrett's stats versus Paul and Greg's from their freshmen year, while none were fanatastic, Garrett averaged about 1/2 as many points as both Paul and Greg (4.2 versus 8.1, 7.4, respectively) and less rebounds (2.6 versus 4.1 and 4.7). On the positive side GS had more blocks his first year than PM ever had in a year.

I know they are all very different players, but at the center position, I think this just further illustrates how much it can help an undeveloped big man to have that extra year. With JT and now Blair in the middle, maybe this is the year. What does everyone else think? Would Marshall really consider this type of action to prepare us for an outstanding 2011 season?

I think that time has come and gone.

Unless Garrett wants to take a year off, we'll have him for four years and enjoy the contributions he'll make to the program.

Going forward, the more we win, and the better recruits we land, will put us in the advantageous position of red-shirting more freshman.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
      I think that time has come and gone.

Unless Garrett wants to take a year off, we'll have him for four years and enjoy the contributions he'll make to the program.

Going forward, the more we win, and the better recruits we land, will put us in the advantageous position of red-shirting more freshman.
      Another solid post! :good: :good:
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If he redshirts it will be in 2010-11 when we have JT, Blair and EO.
        In the fast lane

Comment

And I find that very unlikely.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
            If he redshirts it will be in 2010-11 when we have JT, Blair and EO.
            Bank on it.

Comment

A freshman will struggle. Where is the clamoring for kyle's redshirt?
              The point is that both are playing, both are working through freshman struggles, both seem to be working hard this summer and both seem to have bright careers ahead of them as Shockers.
              Phi Alpha

Comment

I suspect Doc is right about Stutz taking a redshirt a year from now. There will be too few minutes to go around. Regarding Kyles, it might have been wise for him to redshirt last season, but it must be unamimous, and probably was not.

Comment

I've been watching the players compete this summer. I've noticed that GS is much more agressive that he was last year. This evening he was really banging around with his new weight tipping and grabbing rebound. Also when he was getting the ball down low he show a nice soft touch hookl shot with either hand. If they ever leave him unguarded he will drain a three on them. GS is improving and if he listens to the coaches he will have a good year.
                  Tonight was the first time I've seen Gabe Blair and he looked a little rusty on some of his early shots but was rebounding and playing defense pretty well.
                  The bright light of tonight scrimmage was Graham Hatch. He was draining threes, grabing rebounds, driving for layups and playing good defense. If keeps this up he will be a big time shot maker for the Shocks this year.

Comment

I forgot to mention that they will shooting around in the practice arena the rest of this week and will start around 6:30 or 7:00.

Comment

Originally posted by WSU Cowboy
                      The bright light of tonight scrimmage was Graham Hatch. He was draining threes, grabing rebounds, driving for layups and playing good defense. If keeps this up he will be a big time shot maker for the Shocks this year.
                      I noticed that from the clips shown on Channel 12 Sports last night. I think that GH hit two maybe three 3-balls in the short highlight film.
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu
                        Originally posted by WSU Cowboy
                        I noticed that from the clips shown on Channel 12 Sports last night. I think that GH hit two maybe three 3-balls in the short highlight film.
                        Garrett was sporting a 'new' goatee that actually made him look tougher.
                        :good: :good:

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                          I suspect Doc is right about Stutz taking a redshirt a year from now. There will be too few minutes to go around. Regarding Kyles, it might have been wise for him to redshirt last season, but it must be unamimous, and probably was not.
                          I really doubt this.
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

G Blair is not a center...I have heard he came here with the understanding he would not be made to play out of position...that he would be allowed to play his natural 4 position.......So at best we will have 2 true centers...GS and EO....I think JT would be better at the 4 , alongside a true center......Whether GS redshirts in a year is anybodies guess but seems unlikely to me

Comment

Originally posted by Overtime
                              G Blair is not a center...I have heard he came here with the understanding he would not be made to play out of position...that he would be allowed to play his natural 4 position.......So at best we will have 2 true centers...GS and EO....I think JT would be better at the 4 , alongside a true center......Whether GS redshirts in a year is anybodies guess but seems unlikely to me
                              That's my thoughts as well. I think JT would be better off as a PF with a true C to play next to.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X