Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
    I was unable to attend.

I am a little confused about offensive play.

Will the ball be pushed up the floor or will it be walked up the floor?

Just exactly how much will this team run and gun? Not like NC, but more like Florida. (I started to say KU, but I caught myself for fear of being blasted right off the forum.)
    I think in a lot of ways the idea of fast play under Marshall has been overstated. A lot of what we do will still be oriented around getting into the half court and getting a good shot. We won't be pressing all game long or always looking to get a fast break instead of a half court possession.

The major difference is that Turgeon's defense focused on forcing missed shots. I think we will see a lot more pressure and attempts to create turnovers under Marshall. When we miss the steal, teams may get more dunks or layups than they did under MT, but we will also get more transition baskets of our own when we do get the steal.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Ellis and Hatch right now are the only two true first year scholorship players. Ellis looked a little tenitive at times and did not try to do more than he was comfortable with. His athletic talent is obvious and i hope his basketball talent kicks in by the last half of the season to become a valuable part of the team. I think ellis could develop into a special player for WSU. As someone said earlier, Hatch has a very good basketball body and a very fluid shot. Hard to judge from a 20 minute scrimage, but he seems quicker than i thought he would be. Not pj or matt quick but at least average quickness. Used his feet well on defense. Because of the 2 year layoff it may take him longer but i expect him to become a contributer by the last half to third of the season. He has a very pretty, smooth 3pt shot. very high arch.

Comment

• I don't see us red-shirting either Ellis or Hatch. Ellis seems to be bigger, stronger and more comfortable on the floor than Butler, so will AB even see the floor?

Hatch is physically mature and smart enough to learn the system, so why red-shirt him?
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
          I was unable to attend.

Just exactly how much will this team run and gun? Not like NC, but more like Florida. (I started to say KU, but I caught myself for fear of being blasted right off the forum.)
          RDR, here are some quotes from HCGM in today's Eagle that address your questions at least in general terms:

Offensively, we're not going to attempt to try to play real fast," he said. "We're going to attempt to play well offensively. We want to get a good shot every time. The defensive end is where we're going to extend pressure a little more instead of playing half court the whole game."

• The early practices are devoted to half -court offense and defense.

"Games are won in February and March by teams that execute the best in the half court," Marshall said. "You don't see too many teams playing late in the year that do a lot of pressure. In fact, Nolan Richardson and Arkansas did it about a decade ago. Name another one.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
            I was unable to attend.

RDR, here are some quotes from HCGM in today's Eagle that address your questions at least in general terms:

Offensively, we're not going to attempt to try to play real fast," he said. "We're going to attempt to play well offensively. We want to get a good shot every time. The defensive end is where we're going to extend pressure a little more instead of playing half court the whole game."

• The early practices are devoted to half -court offense and defense.

"Games are won in February and March by teams that execute the best in the half court," Marshall said. "You don't see too many teams playing late in the year that do a lot of pressure. In fact, Nolan Richardson and Arkansas did it about a decade ago. Name another one.
            I suspect Coach Marshall was talking about pressure in the opponent's backcourt. If he was talking about pressure in the opponent's forecourt, then I would name the Doggies.

Comment

• I got the impression from his interview the other day that the up-tempo bit had been take WAY too far. Sounded like most of the time we would be running a half-court offense, but by pressing a little more than we have seen, would try to create a few more easy baskets.

Comment

• Random Thoughts from a very short scrimmage:

JT was much better than I expected. He moves very well for his size and has a pretty soft touch.

It looked like RC was kind of a cross between Ryan Martin (positioning/game savvy) and Jamar (athleticism).

Hatch's lefty stroke is sweet but he kind of got lost in the scrimmage.

WP appeared to have more confidence than at any point in the past.

I thought AB looked a bit bigger and much stronger than last year. The team looks for any chance to lob to him but his range seems to be about 3' and in. His 8 foot jumper went about 10 feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                  I don't see us red-shirting either Ellis or Hatch. Ellis seems to be bigger, stronger and more comfortable on the floor than Butler, so will AB even see the floor?

Hatch is physically mature and smart enough to learn the system, so why red-shirt him?
                  He might Redshirt Hatch for the following reasons:

1. He hasn't played in a real game for 2 years.
                  2. He Couz, and Gal ahead of him at SG and we are loaded up at the 3.
                  3. With limited playing time I'd hate to waste a year just for some mop up minutes
                  4. He needs to get a little quicker on defense to play the 2.

Comment

• Who redshirts?

We have a sixteen man roster with orupke and Hawkins. RS canidates =

Hatch
                    Michaels
                    Burley
                    Ellis

Could we redshirt Butler twicw? j/k

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker22
                      Who redshirts?

Hatch
                      Michaels
                      Burley
                      Ellis

Ellis? I would be shocked to say the least.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• You won't get the chance. Ellis is going to redshirt right after I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          You won't get the chance. Ellis is going to redshirt right after I do.
                          Just putting all the Freshman out there...that's all.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker22
                            Who redshirts?

Hatch
                            Michaels
                            Burley
                            Ellis

Not sure you are serious, but the answer is no on Butler.

Comment

• Hatch could. Burley may if they really expect him to develop to a point where he may be able to help some. Other than that the only definite redshirt is Hawk.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu
                                You won't get the chance. Ellis is going to redshirt right after I do.
                                Ladies and gentlemen....our final recruit!

Was I the only one who was impressed with how poised Michaels was? He made 2 or 3 heads up plays. Out of everyone, I was most impressed with him.
                                Jocks & Jills
                                3236 N. Rock Rd
                                Wichita, KS 67226
                                316-260-9800
                                http://www.jocks-jills.com
                                http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

Working...
                                X