WSU IS A PROGRAM ON THE RISE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU IS A PROGRAM ON THE RISE

The last 2 years resulted in both the Mo Valley and WSU being more in the National Media Spotlight with some big wins. Now can WSU take this Program to the next level?

First let's remember the year of the Sweet 16. That year, we were picked around 5th in the Valley and I do not remember anybody picking Preseason Paul Miller to win the MVP in the Valley. If I recall accuratly, that was the year we just missed beating Illinois who took 2nd at the Dance the year previous. That game displayed that we were now a team that could beat any team on a given day.

Winning the Valley that year was huge. To do it, we had a big double OT win at home versus SIU where Miller scored 30. Then we beat Creighton at home with the clutch 3 point shooting by MB at the end. Next thing as we watch the Selection Committee Program on the tube, we witness 2 TV Sports Commentators belly aching about 4 Valley Teams reaching the Dance. Waaa Waaa Waa they exclaimed.

But hark, both Bradley and WSU reach the Sweet 16. Now was that supposed to happen? Was Bradley picked to rock KU to get there? Was WSU picked to :shock: Tennessee don't you see. What a su-weet year for both the Valley and WSU. Was it not grand to silence the critics (shhh) and shock :shock: the experts?

Then there was last Season. We were now expected to have another solid year. One publication rated our guards as the number 2 group in the Nation It started with the Canada trip, then we peaked very early with some huge road wins on National TV. Next thing you know, we are Number 8 in the Country which was higher then even our Sweet 16 year.

Next was Vegas, then we sputtured through with a dismal finish. Now we are wondering if we peaked too early, was this due to growing pains, did reality come knocking, blah blah, blah. Then our Coach heads South and we were losing some existing players and new recruits were dropping out of the picture.

But never fear, AD JS was here and saved the day just like the Lone Ranger. Presto, in walks a proven winner, new head Coach Gregg Marshall. He had most of us from hello so to speak. He walks into a hornets nest of issues. We have new recruits waivering about us. Then was the tragedy of losing Guy who truely wanted to be a Shocker. I share the words of SubGod22 who quotes: "Rest in peace Guy. You will forever be a Shocker."

Through it all, we now have much to be excited about. Sure, the experts so far have predicted WSU between around 4th to 7th. We do have several new faces so we need ample time to get our groove on as a team. However, this new Coaching regime is recruiting like there is no tomorrow and landing solid recruits which will result in a bright future. Coach Marshall is intense and our players are getting in tip-top shape running a mile faster then FSF runs a 100 yard dash.

The Chuck is now sold out and Shocker Madness is just around the corner. This fine City is excited in anticipating a fun year of chills and thrills. Yes, this is Shocker Country, our Program is on the rise, it will take time to develop this Team and we have to be patient---so let's get this party started and :shock: some people.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Interesting early morning take. I think a 17-win season is a plus this year. I am very bullish on the long term prospects of this team with Marshall at the helm. What hurt us last year, over the long run, was the lack of any real presence in the middle offensively or defensively. More than Turgeon's unwillingness to play zone, more than any internal personal turmoil, that was the problem. Our offensive success the year before was based on Paul Miller who demanded a double team in the post freeing up other players that could catch and shoot (Ogirri, Wilson). On defense, while Miller struggled with smaller quicker players, he held his own against other true bigs allowing more success in a true man to man perimiter defense. While Paul was not a shot blocker, he had to be considered if you were a guard or small forward beating your man off the dribble. Last year while Ryan Martin and Kyle Wilson played admirably, neither was a true "5" and were a stretch at "4." This year I don't see anyone who's going to step in and play that role for us. Without it, I think we're going to have many of the same troubles. That doesn't mean that Durley or Orukpe (if he's here) or a platoon of guys can't be successful in that role, I'm just saying that I haven't seen anything to prove otherwise. It also doesn't mean that Marshall's coaching style might not be hable to hide that weakness more than Turgeon's. I'm just reserving judgment until we get a few games. I think in July if you polled most Shocker fans with: "If we win 17 games this season, play hard, play exciting ball and improve over the season, would you take it?" that the answer would be yes.

I'm in agreement, that the program is on the rise, but I think we'll have some growing pains along the way. If we get consistent and respectable post play from Durley and Thomasson then all bets are off.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

17 is fine with me.

But to be honest if we finished/play better than last year its not going to surprise me at all.

like my ace boon Dj Kool would say at time like this "Ive got that feeliln that funky funky feelin!"

Comment

I agree with Bobb, and think we are on the rise, but Marshall has to cut his teeth first in the Valley. Marshall has already caused a lot of noise here, and I think he will continue to do so even more once he is on the court.

I think he is a smart savvy coach, and any mistakes or weaknesses will be corrected in very short order. He took a team that went 7-21 before he arrived to a 21-7 record his very first year at Winthrop. No coach does that without knowing how to play the game.

I, too, am concerned about the Center position this year and next. Other Valley teams have recruited some pretty tall players, and we have to be able to compete with them, let alone what we run into in post season play.

I am looking forward to this year, and the years following though, under Marshall, because I think he can take us up to the Gonzaga level.

Comment

Marshall was such a good hire for you guys and for the Valley, too. Great publicity.

I don't know how you'll fare this year but I suspect the future is bright for Wichita State.

Comment

It would be huge to get EO in here yet this Semester. Clemente will be solid at PF. I like JT--he has nice moves and a shooting touch and he is now in great shape. PT could flouish in this System and showed positive flashes last year that could become more consistant.. A.B. is a super athlete and is learning the game. Our guards are tough, and we are really set at the S.F. position. Burley will probably be much better then an average walk-on and I hope he earns a scholly next year.

Therefore, without EO, we will be fine, and I still think a better record than last year. With EO, I think it becomes a better year than most people may think. It sounds as though he can really D up, rebound, and has NBA potential. The depth chart would then impress me at each position. We will be in the great shape, with more depth in the past, more athletic than last year, and wait until we witness that stingy DEFENSE and even some full-court-pressing!!! Bring it!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

MSNSaluki---about where to you think the Shockers will finish in the Valley this Season? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                MSNSaluki---about where to you think the Shockers will finish in the Valley this Season? Just curious.
                My guess is that MSNSaluki answers "In the top ten." :lol:
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                  I'm not a politician ...

Forevershockerfan - I'm a big believer that teams that do well in the Valley are teams with experienced players. If I'm not mistaken, SIU, UNI and Missouri State each have three returning starters but I really love what Marshall did at Winthrop and I believe he can work his magic in Wichita.

Will I get skewered if I say fourth or fifth? My pick is only because WSU has a lot of new guys coming in. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Shockers finish higher.

Comment

Originally posted by MSNSaluki
                    Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                    I'm not a politician ...

Forevershockerfan - I'm a big believer that teams that do well in the Valley are teams with experienced players. If I'm not mistaken, SIU, UNI and Missouri State each have three returning starters but I really love what Marshall did at Winthrop and I believe he can work his magic in Wichita.

Will I get skewered if I say fourth or fifth? My pick is only because WSU has a lot of new guys coming in. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Shockers finish higher.
                    LOL you don't have to tread so softly. I would say 4th or 5th is pretty darn reasonable. Most feel that anywhere from 3rd - 7th just because of how much change the Valley has gone through this season.

Also, that 5th spot treated us pretty well last time we were picked there....so I wouldn't mind being picked 5th :D
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I'm very optimistic about WSU's chances this year. I can see WSU challenging for a top-3 finish this year. It's going to take a lot of things to come together really quick to get a 3-4 finish.

Valley coaches are excellent at exploiting weaknesses. That was part of WSU's collapse last year. WSU has a weakness at post and new players at 3 and 4. There's reason to be optimistic about Clemente and Griskenas. If either of them struggles, WSU could find itself in the play-in at Arch Madness.

I expect WSU will come in around 6 in the pre-season media polls. The Shox can be better than that, but they're going to have to prove it on the court before anyone believes it.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The Shox will again struggle with size issues. However, I think that Marshall will be better capable of catering the O to what he has and use the speed to his advantage. I am pumped for this year, just to see some new creativity in that regard. I have no idea where we'll finish, but will not be surprised at anything. Well, okay, I'll be surprised if we lay a big egg this year.

Shox are definitely on the rise, just need to get the players in here for what Marshall wants. And I have a feeling that we are going to land us a blue chip stud in soon who is going to take us to another level.

Go Shox.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Under Mark the Shocks defended. We protected the basket and for the most part we did that well.

With HCGM leading the way there is going to be a transition from just defending our goal to attacking the other team's offense. Certainly this will mean we will surrender some easy baskets but I think the easy scores that the defense will create will more than make up for it.

Let's take the fight to them, gentlemen.

Like ShockerPrez says, I'm not certain that we have the personell in place to succeed at the highest level this season, but I have no doubt that IF we do not that problem will be rectified very, very soon.

I read a comment somewhere that similar to when WSU hired Mark (or SIU hired BW) that it would take time to recover and rebuild and that WSU was a couple or more years away from that recovery. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is no "recovery" for our program. Last year was a 1/2 season fault. The entire program is in excellent shape. It is financially sound, well supported and extraordinarily well managed from AD to office assistant. The athletic cupboard is hardly bare. We have two 4 year starters that return with sweet 16 experience and a MVC Championship under their belt (only SIU can say that). Yes there are some holes to fill but we will start not 1 but 2 juco All Americans in a month or so and while there is a ton of youth on the team so there is also a ton of talent. All of it probably won't surface right away but it's almost a certainty that some of it will.

I pray that these kids are picked low and overlooked. On a team with plenty of "piss and vinegar" already, a little outside motivation will only mean a closer and more tight knit and hungry group of young men.

Comment

very well said, DrWu
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I have one concern - MVC refs. Gregg does not know how they call games and his aggressive style may result in many foul calls. I just don't trust the MVC refs to have a clue.
                              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X