How to make the product better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
    I used to have VIP tickets to the Chiefs. They would have a nice brunch set up under several heated tents with drinks (full bar), brunch and dessert. They would have a band play during the event which started 3 hours prior to the game. Seats were reserved and at each seat would be a small souvenir, different for each game. For example, a signed poster or KC wolf stuffed animal etc. They would also have a small raffle.

Anyway, it was always a great time and boy did it get you primed for the game.

They could do something like that in the practice facility and I bet it would sell out every time.
    Excellent idea. :good:

Comment

I like Capitol's idea. There were similar pre-game events when we played at the Colleseum for one season. Wonder if there's a way they could loophole alcohol into it? Because, like it or not, a tipsy crowd is a loud crowd.

How about we finally move Madness away from an Afterthought Production® and make it something special in and of itself? I don't even care that it's on a weeknight this year. But if I have to sit through something as embarrassing as last year's laser light show again, I might lose all hope.

I know the technical reasons have been given as to why it's not possible, but dimming the lights during Shocker introductions would be cool. Changing the music away from Jock Jams circa '95 would go a long way as well.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        Also a problem is a lack of a "training table".

Imho, the latter is the most important/most fixable/biggest bang for the buck at a reasonable cost thing we can do to improve the overall experience.
        Training Table?
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Training Table:

A specifically designated and designed program for the purpose of properly feeding all student athletes. Each program and each athlete has their own special needs and those needs are met through proper nutritional supplements and provisions. Teams would be able to eat together and would be provided the highest level of proper nutritional dietary needs.

I was surprised to find out that WSU has next to nothing in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
            Originally posted by Lisa
            Beer sales at Koch Arena.
            Except the little NCAA rule against on-campus alcohol sales prevents this.
            Colorado has sold beer at basketball games for years...just voluntarily decided this coming year to discontinue the practice.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

First and foremost seating must be expanded. We need to add as many seats as possible without losing the atmosphere or general configuration of the layout. Raise the roof, make the aisles steeper,.. whatever. There should be absolutely NO financial roadblocks because this would be a solid investment and would certainly pay for itself. This is no pie-in-the-sky idea, it is a serious demand fulfilment issue. Uncle Charlie just moved to #9 on Forbes at 17 billion so I think it's time once again for somebody to cough up a little pocket change and build Koch Arena II.

My following two suggestions are much less grand in scale...

FIX THE DAMNED SHOCKER MADNESS! Amateur hour has long worn out its welcome.

And finally, do whatever it takes to get the introductions more exciting. Turn the lights out, get sophisticated lasers, a little more bass in the sound system, etc. etc. No more excuses about the lights. This is a top-flight program now that is making serious money. It is the jewel of WSU and the city of Wichita and deserves an exciting (not vanilla) intro!

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                Training Table:

A specifically designated and designed program for the purpose of properly feeding all student athletes. Each program and each athlete has their own special needs and those needs are met through proper nutritional supplements and provisions. Teams would be able to eat together and would be provided the highest level of proper nutritional dietary needs.

I was surprised to find out that WSU has next to nothing in this area.
                Sean Ogirri is a good example of where a training table could be helpful. IIRC, Sean had a problem with sky high cholesteral. While, other factors can greatly influence that, I suspect Sean's diet didn't help matters any.

Good suggestion, Doc.

While Kerry Rosenboom does a great job with the strength and conditioning program, I sometimes wonder if the Shockers do enough in the area of flexibility and injury prevention training. A lot of guys will laugh, but a good yoga/flexibility program might be helpful here. Maybe this is being addressed. If not, I suppose the issue is where do you find the time to work something like this in.

Of course, the number 1 way to enhance your product is, has always been, and will no doubt forever be to "Just Win, Baby!".

:wsu_posters:

Comment

I wonder if we are more likely to see some kind of Pay-Per-View offering before we see another major renovation of Koch Arena.

Also, will the Shocks consider using the new downtown Arena in the future for some of their more attractive home games?

Comment

Wasting so much as a breath on seating expansion is lunacy.

It is not going to happen, period, end of discussion.

Comment

One thing I'd like to see (since I don't reside in Wichita):

is continued development of internet-based productions.
                      This includes goshockers.com and shockervision.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely thrilled that I can view the games live via shockervision, but the quality needs some major help.

I know and understand that the video feed from the jumbotron is used and they simulcast the radio broadcast, but A.) the camera crew must be amateurs B.) the replays are in slow motion (meaning we're missing live action on the next play) and C.) we have to witness all the animated Wu shots throughout the whole game.

There needs to be some improvement.

Also, many coaches realize this, as I'm sure Coach Marshall does, but we've got to be on National TV. We only have 3? scheduled for this year.

Comment

I don't know what it would take to improve the sound system, maybe just turning down the volume a little bit woudl help.

Maybe it is just me in my old age or maybe it is where I generally sit, but I have a hard time understanding a lot of the announcements. I really like Lambo's Lessons they are playing at the VB matches this year. Now if I could just understand what he was saying without trying to read his lips I might actually learn something to help me understand the game better.
                        Again, this just may be may own shortcoming.

Is this an issue with anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                          I don't know what it would take to improve the sound system, maybe just turning down the volume a little bit woudl help.

Maybe it is just me in my old age or maybe it is where I generally sit, but I have a hard time understanding a lot of the announcements. I really like Lambo's Lessons they are playing at the VB matches this year. Now if I could just understand what he was saying without trying to read his lips I might actually learn something to help me understand the game better.

Intelligibility is tough because there aren't enough bodies to muffle the sound from bouncing all over the place. When Koch is filled with bodies, it usually sounds great now that they've upgraded the sound system.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

Yes! I actually thought it was only me.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I agree the lighting system could be improved to allow a spectacular show during starting player announcements. However, I don't think it is possible to add seats.
                              Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

With every game sold out, what exactly are you trying to promote?

Comment

Working...
                                X