Shocker Fitness report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC Shox
    6.5 is weak! My grandma can do a mile in 6.5!
    I think I saw your grandma. Does she have grey hair and bolt out of Koch arena with 4 minutes left in every game? She was around 6 minutes a mile. :D

Comment

As a HS senior and cross-country runner, I recall running a 5:10 mile as an early-season "exhibition". I was maybe a little better than average runner. So, making the adjustment to basketball players, some of whom don't have "runner's" bodies, those are pretty decent times, if the ones over 6 minutes are the obvious ones.

Sounds promising!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        As a HS senior and cross-country runner, I recall running a 5:10 mile as an early-season "exhibition". I was maybe a little better than average runner. So, making the adjustment to basketball players, some of whom don't have "runner's" bodies, those are pretty decent times, if the ones over 6 minutes are the obvious ones.

Sounds promising!
        I agree. A five minute mile is impressive for basketball players. I doubt that I could run a 6 and a half minute mile right now. Maybe seven minutes.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
          Originally posted by KC Shox
          6.5 is weak! My grandma can do a mile in 6.5!
          I think I saw your grandma. Does she have grey hair and bolt out of Koch arena with 4 minutes left in every game? She was around 6 minutes a mile. :D
          Nah man, first, my grandmother does not have gray hair, she has blue. Second, if she did leave 4 minutes left in the game, it is only because at her age, she had to get a head start toward the gates. :D

Comment

i'm just gonna guess matt ran the fastest, i'm pretty sure he ran cross country in high school.

Comment

Sure it is a possitive sign, but I don't think we can really equate running one mile with running up and down a basketball court as far as endurance is concerned. If we were talking about 5 miles or more OK, but not a mile.

I'm 69 years old and still run consistent 6.5 to 7 minute miles for several miles, three days a week. But there is no way I could run up and down a BB court, stopping and starting, etc., without gasping for breath and wondering why in the hell am I out there.

Comment

5 miles? 5 miles you say? Now THAT is what cars are for.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                  I'm 69 years old and still run consistent 6.5 to 7 minute miles for several miles, three days a week.
                  I'm impressed. Do you want to run in the River Festival two mile run with me in May?
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

...I don't think we can really equate running one mile with running up and down a basketball court as far as endurance is concerned...
                    On a basketball court, you're looking for sprint speed at a maximum length of 20 - 30 yards. Guys with good speed at that distance often have a lot of trouble at longer distances.

Sprinters have enormous capability of converting oxygen and stored body energy into acceleration. Distance runners convert oxygen and stored energy more slowly and can run for distance better than they can handle repeated short-distance sprints.

People who specialize in short-distance bursts of speed have trouble building up their cardio to the point they can even run a mile. Their bodies use oxygen rapidly. It really requires some conditioning for them to run a mile at any steady pace.

From my own experience, I was a short-distance guy. I could handle 8 or 10 30-yard wind sprints when I couldn't make an entire mile.

Sprinting uses oxygen more quickly than distance running. Basketball players are more like sprinters than like distance runners. I think sprinters running good times in a mile is an indication they are processing oxygen effectively, which means they can run short sprints (30 yards or less) probably 10 or 12 times without a break before they are totally gassed.

I think the conditioning coming out of summer is exceptional. The players were pretty much on their own over the summer. The organized conditioning drills are just now beginning.

We were hearing reports of Durley getting gassed early even after Marshall was here. I think the requirements for PT were laid down early and hard.

I think the lungs and legs are going to stay fresher longer than we are used to seeing.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                      ...I don't think we can really equate running one mile with running up and down a basketball court as far as endurance is concerned...
                      On a basketball court, you're looking for sprint speed at a maximum length of 20 - 30 yards. Guys with good speed at that distance often have a lot of trouble at longer distances.

Sprinters have enormous capability of converting oxygen and stored body energy into acceleration. Distance runners convert oxygen and stored energy more slowly and can run for distance better than they can handle repeated short-distance sprints.

People who specialize in short-distance bursts of speed have trouble building up their cardio to the point they can even run a mile. Their bodies use oxygen rapidly. It really requires some conditioning for them to run a mile at any steady pace.

From my own experience, I was a short-distance guy. I could handle 8 or 10 30-yard wind sprints when I couldn't make an entire mile.

Sprinting uses oxygen more quickly than distance running. Basketball players are more like sprinters than like distance runners. I think sprinters running good times in a mile is an indication they are processing oxygen effectively, which means they can run short sprints (30 yards or less) probably 10 or 12 times without a break before they are totally gassed.

I think the conditioning coming out of summer is exceptional. The players were pretty much on their own over the summer. The organized conditioning drills are just now beginning.

We were hearing reports of Durley getting gassed early even after Marshall was here. I think the requirements for PT were laid down early and hard.

I think the lungs and legs are going to stay fresher longer than we are used to seeing.
                      Ok Aargh, no disrespect intended but everything you just said is well...wrong. Its not every day that I get to use big words...or my education for that matter (dang my job is boring) so here we go.

Sprinting does not use oxygen. It is an anaerobic exercise which by definition literally means without oxygen. When beginning a bout of exercise the first 3 seconds (give or take a second or two), energy is supplied to the working muscles by adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP) which is stored in a limited quantity within the muscle. When these stores are exhausted the phospho-creatine (PC) system kicks in and all is good for another 7 seconds or so. The supplement "creatine" works in this energy system. As the ATP and PC systems are becoming depleted Anaerobic Glycolysis is ramping up. Simply put, stored sugars are being broken down and turned into ATP to supply energy to the working muscles. This system works for 3-5 minutes. After the initial 3-5 minutes of exercise, oxidative phosphorylation becomes the primary energy system. This is aerobic exercise. Now oxygen is actually being used to assist in the production of ATP and the supply of energy. When your running (or in my cases almost jogging) and you begin to feel like your about to die after only 5 minutes, but then after another minute or so you feel good again, that is your body switching from anaerobic systems to aerobic systems.

So based on this time frame of energy systems, Basketball is very much an aerobic sport where the athletes should be able to run longer distances for conditioning purposes. However sprinting should also be a major part of their training. Muscle fiber type also plays an important roll in how they train, but we'll save that for another lecture.

Now remember to read chapter 10 and there will be a quiz next week.
                      That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ

Ok Aargh, no disrespect intended but everything you just said is well...wrong. Its not every day that I get to use big words...or my education for that matter (dang my job is boring) so here we go.

Sprinting does not use oxygen. It is an anaerobic exercise which by definition literally means without oxygen. When beginning a bout of exercise the first 3 seconds (give or take a second or two), energy is supplied to the working muscles by adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP) which is stored in a limited quantity within the muscle. When these stores are exhausted the phospho-creatine (PC) system kicks in and all is good for another 7 seconds or so. The supplement "creatine" works in this energy system. As the ATP and PC systems are becoming depleted Anaerobic Glycolysis is ramping up. Simply put, stored sugars are being broken down and turned into ATP to supply energy to the working muscles. This system works for 3-5 minutes. After the initial 3-5 minutes of exercise, oxidative phosphorylation becomes the primary energy system. This is aerobic exercise. Now oxygen is actually being used to assist in the production of ATP and the supply of energy. When your running (or in my cases almost jogging) and you begin to feel like your about to die after only 5 minutes, but then after another minute or so you feel good again, that is your body switching from anaerobic systems to aerobic systems.

So based on this time frame of energy systems, Basketball is very much an aerobic sport where the athletes should be able to run longer distances for conditioning purposes. However sprinting should also be a major part of their training. Muscle fiber type also plays an important roll in how they train, but we'll save that for another lecture.

Now remember to read chapter 10 and there will be a quiz next week.
                        Bee's are on the what now?
                        Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

i might have to take up this new trend called yogging

Comment

I guess this is one time that observation is unlikely to provide the correct conclusion.

If oxygen isn't used for the first 3-5 minutes of exercise, then why are people who run sprints (100 m - 400 m) gasping for breath at the end of their races?

Why do a couple of breaths from an oxygen tank almost immediately clear the heads and alleviate the overall discomfort of someone who has run a sprint and has "rubber legs" at the end of the race?
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I guess this is one time that observation is unlikely to provide the correct conclusion.

If oxygen isn't used for the first 3-5 minutes of exercise, then why are people who run sprints (100 m - 400 m) gasping for breath at the end of their races?

Why do a couple of breaths from an oxygen tank almost immediately clear the heads and alleviate the overall discomfort of someone who has run a sprint and has "rubber legs" at the end of the race?
                              Because the large amounts of oxygen that the muscles will be needing after the switch to aerobic need to get into the bloodstream to start the journey to the muscles. The air you breath doesn't make it to the muscles of your extremities immediately after you breath it, even during strenuous exercise. It has to take the same route (for the most part) that it does when you are sitting in your lazy boy.

The brain gets oxygen very soon after absorption, which is why pure oxygen can "clear the head" quickly. The muscles don't get it so fast.

Comment

Thanks for the invite, Spangler. If I lived in Wichita I'd be honered and would enjoy joining you in the River Festival two mile run in May?

Keep up the jogging and conditioning through the years. It and a number of other things help us to stay young. Or al least, allow us to think we are still young.

Comment

Working...
                                X