WSU ranked #64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU ranked #64

Shocks picked to finish 4th in the MVC and go to the NIT.

Overall, nice preview of the Shocks. I can say that I would be pretty happy if his scenarios play out (of course the goal is an NCAA birth); but there are definitely some question marks.

Not sure why he had to this shot at Cooz, though...

Couisnard is not the greatest shooter in the world, or in Kansas, or on the team for that matter, but he will be the heart and soul of this year’s squad.

Comment

Re: WSU ranked #64

Originally posted by sekshoxfan
      http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/story/2007_08_wichita_state_basketball_preview41078

Shocks picked to finish 4th in the MVC and go to the NIT.
      Decent knowledge and analysis compared to many. I believe we have a better than even shot to be an NCAA tournament team but I am more than happy not to be picked as one. I think WSU will fly under the radar early on and that this will be a good thing.
      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Check out the last snippet under Drills, titled...
        Embracing the Excitement

While many predicted the demise of Conference USA when Louisville and Cincinnati left the league, Memphis has staved off elimination by becoming one of the best teams in the country. Can the rest of the league follow?

That is the attitude I want at Wichita State.

Comment

Nice article by Joel Welser and he is getting warmer to the real world of this coming Season versus much of what we have read thus far. PJ will have a much improved shot from the outside this year in my opinion. Remember how PJ lit up Tennessee from the outside like a Christmas tree at the Dance a few years back?

Joel's synopsis of Orupke had me lickin my chops. Let's just get this young man here and the sooner the better. His starting line-up was interesting. He described M. Griskenas as a player that can't be left on the bench long but omitted him from his projected starting 5.

I just wonder if our early Lineup will be as follows:---MB, PJ, MG, Clemente, and PT?
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I find it interesting The Bayou Bengals are one notch above us

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
              Nice article by Joel Welser and he is getting warmer to the real world of this coming Season versus much of what we have read thus far. PJ will have a much improved shot from the outside this year in my opinion. Remember how PJ lit up Tennessee from the outside like a Christmas tree at the Dance a few years back?

Joel's synopsis of Orupke had me lickin my chops. Let's just get this young man here and the sooner the better. His starting line-up was interesting. He described M. Griskenas as a player that can't be left on the bench long but omitted him from his projected starting 5.

I just wonder if our early Lineup will be as follows:---MB, PJ, MG, Clemente, and PT?
              That's my early starting 5 too, but if Orukpe gets here, I see him replacing Phil on the starting lineup at some point, and Phil coming in to play 4/5 position.

My best hopeful hope is that we will finish the season in the 40-45 range for a first year under Marshall.

Comment

The part I like the best about that is..

"This group has a ton of potential and it all falls on Coach Marshall to pull the troops together and get them playing his brand of basketball. When that happens, nobody will want to face the Shockers."

Im not going to say how good I think we will be but I do believe we will be better than 64

Comment

wouldn't #65 and above be the NCAA tournament according to these rankings?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
                    wouldn't #65 and above be the NCAA tournament according to these rankings?
                    No. With auto bids and all that I could see where you won't get much until the top 40 or so really. There are only 33 or so at-large picks. The tournament isn't made up of the top 65 teams.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That's some pretty good respect for the program right there. # 64?

I'll take that for now. New coach, only a couple returning starters, 5 players from last season and a bunch of untested incoming talent. The guy did some nice research and justified #64 pretty dog-gawd well! :good:

Let's Go Shocks!!! :goshocks:
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I bet he is all wet on the starting five.

Comment

Speaking of starting line-ups, it is difficult so early-on to prognosticate until we actually see the new players in action. However, based on what we read, have seen, and think, what do you Shocker Fans think will be the early starting 5 and then the new 5 as the season progresses. My early one is listed above. As the season continues, if Orupke gets here, I think he will repace PT as a starter in due time.

Others who could earn some starts could be GM, Durley, and Ellis.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

That is a pretty good write-up. But I thought some of the player evaluations, particularly Orupke's, sounded like they came direct from an interview with the coaches. If Weiser has the contacts that have seen Orupke play, then he needs to get hired at ESPN to displace some of those ya-hoos.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                              Originally posted by forevershockerfan

That's my early starting 5 too, but if Orukpe gets here, I see him replacing Phil on the starting lineup at some point, and Phil coming in to play 4/5 position.

My best hopeful hope is that we will finish the season in the 40-45 range for a first year under Marshall.
                              I am curious about his prediction of the starting five (and other things).

Let see:
                              Mantas Griskenas, 6'7", 220, 1st-team Juco All-American, Region XVI POY
                              Ramon Clemente,6'6", 215, 3rd-team Juco All-American

He makes a big deal of the fact the Clemente is a 3rd-team Juco All-American and doesn't mention that Griskenas is a 1st-team Juco All-American and was Region XVI POY. Did that strike anyone else as a bit strange?

My guess for the starting lineup (as of 1/08 ) is
                              PG: MB or GM
                              SG: PJ
                              SF: Griskenas
                              PF: Clemente
                              C (or 2nd PF): Orupke or Thomasson

I have no confidence that Thomasson will be successful. (I hope I am wrong.) Matt will probably start at PG in November. I'm not sure he will be the starter at the end of the season. I know lots of people love him and his speed might play well in Marshall's system but he is short and can't finish a drive to the basket when it is defended. Against strong defense (i.e. SIU) he was not a factor:
                              01-01-07 at Carbondale 22 minutes, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 2 steals, 1 rebound, 1-2 shooting, 2 points
                              02-03-07 at Wichita 23 minutes, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 0 steals, 3 rebounds, 1-6 shooting, 5 points
                              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X