No announcement yet.

Hatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Michigan guard traveled as well on the play. Just good ol' BCS bs.

Comment

The year after Magic won the tournament, MSU came to Wichita and lost. Of course Magic was playing for the Lakers then but I want to say that Greg Kelser was still on that team but for some reason I think I am confusing "special K" with someone else.

Around that time (a couple of years before perhaps) WSU also defeated a Mark Aguire led DePaul team. The human pear was a freshman but still an exceedingly talented freshman.

2 games I remember from my very early days as a Shocker fanatic.

Comment

Magic and Kelser both went to the NBA in the 1979 Draft.
        By the way...which one's Pink?
        MTXE

Comment

Larry Bird and Hatch in the same sentence doesn't mesh well, but I'll take Chris Mullin and Hatch comparisons. :D

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerKhan
            It was 1975 and the guard for Michigan was Rickey Green who went on to play in the NBA and was a 1st round pick of Golden State in 1976. If my memory serves me correcty we had the ball and the lead with around :20 to go(no shot clock in those days) . Cheese got into the lane and missed a shot and Green threw in a leaping leaner at the buzzer to give Michigan the win by 1. They went on to lose to Indiana in the final as Indiana went undefeated.
            Cal Bruton outplayed Green the entire game. Green's shot was damn near desparation but it went in. He was along the lines of 4-17 from the field for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
              Larry Bird and Hatch in the same sentence doesn't mesh well, but I'll take Chris Mullin and Hatch comparisons. :D
              Bird was simply presented as the ULTIMATE EXAMPLE of a player with less than outstanding athleticism that made himself into an outstanding basketball player. I made the first mention of Larry Bird in this regard and specifically said I was not COMPARING the two. I don't think anyone is expecting Hatch to be a Larry Bird and probably not even a Steve Kerr or a Chris Mullins. I personally don't expect the NBA to be in his future.

However, the fact that he may or may not be the greatest athlete in the world doesn't mean he can't be an effective contributor on the basketball court. Which I think was the whole point of this thread in the first place.

Without having seen Hatch play one second of basketball, it would be pretty difficult to come up with a player to actually COMPARE Hatch to. Once we see him play, perhaps those COMPARISONS will come.

Comment

I would say CMullins had alot more athletic ability than Larry Bird.

but thats IMO and neither here nor there

Comment

Bird or Mullins........I'd take either one.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I wonder what Bird's game would have looked lilke if he was with Timmy H and Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      Bird or Mullins........I'd take either one.
                      I think they are a little old now. :D
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Since the subject has somwhat morphed into a who was an average athlete but good or great player discussion, who would you say firts that mold, if anyone among former Shockers.

Jamie Thompson comes to mind.

I'm sure there are a number of others. What say you Shocker historians?

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Jason Perez was my first thought. Although not athletically gifted he could anticipate things well in advance of every player on the court...thus IIRC he became the all-time steals leader.

Comment

Refocusing

Nice try to somewhat refocus the discussion here, 1972.

I mentioned Steve Kerr because I'm a Spurs fan and I remember his late-game sharpshooting for them as they won one of their championships a few years ago. But it's probably more sensible to stick with former Shockers who excelled despite being "a step slow," and your example of Jamie Thompson and Boston's of Jason Perez are both good choices.

If Graham Hatch manages to turn into the second coming of Jason Perez, I suspect everyone on this board would be thrilled.

Comment

If Hatch was 1/2 of Jason Perez I'd be thrilled.

Most people have no idea how special JP was on and off the court.

He was in a no win situation and still managed to be competitive.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                                If Hatch was 1/2 of Jason Perez I'd be thrilled.

Most people have no idea how special JP was on and off the court.

He was in a no win situation and still managed to be competitive.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu:
                                I dont know about off the court but as I have stated many times on this board Jason is easily one of if not THE most favorite shocker of all time for myself.

to bad cloning isnt legal. We could have been cloning another JP every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X