Hatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on Hatch

You are probably talking about AZShocker relative to when Kerr was at the U of A. However, I was there, too, and I remember him well. Hatch may be the type of shooter that has to come off a screen to shoot, but Kerr was also that kind of player, too. I'm not saying that Hatch will ever be as good as Kerry was, but if Hatch turns out to be a shooter, we'll all be happy! Actually, I was still in AZ when Hatch was in his Sr year at Mesa High. He was the leader of their team. I think they won the AZ state championship that year for big schools.

Comment

I think Hatch will be the type of player to make all the other players better.

Lots of players need a slight set time before shooting, or their release is not of the quick kind, and lots of players miss because they aren't properly prepared to shoot the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
        I think Hatch will be the type of player to make all the other players better.

Lots of players need a slight set time before shooting, or their release is not of the quick kind, and lots of players miss because they aren't properly prepared to shoot the shot.
        Is Hatch slow on his shot release or have slow footspeed? A person can not be quick (i.e. running) and yet have a quick release.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Here's the quote from the Lutz article that raised the question about quickness:

How much can Hatch contribute?

Hard to say. He's a smart player and an excellent shooter. But he admits to being a step slow.

He'll have to get by on perseverance and determination, two qualities he has an abundance of after two years of making the tough sell.

"I'm not the quickest or the most athletic," Hatch said. "But I can shoot the basketball and I can play smart. I've gotten stronger and I'll get rebounds. I think I can contribute."
          Sounds like foot speed is what they're talking about. Hatch's HS coach says Hatch was a tenacious defender, so any lack of quickness wasn't a factor at that level. Good footwork and hustle can overcome some lack of flat-out speed.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

How many players have we heard this about in basketball and other sports? They're not fast or very athletic. What they are, however, are players who play with determination and intelligence and simply know how to win. They play within their abilities and do not try and force things. From what has been indicated, Hatch sounds like he may be that type of player. I hope so!

Comment

To me Larry Bird is the epitome of a guy who wasn't particularly fast or athletic. But Holy Cow could that man play basketball.

I'm not comparing Hatch to Bird (wouldn't that be something), but Bird proves that you can overcome ahtletic shortcomings and still be an effective player (of course, in Bird's case not jus an effective player but a great player).

Graham is perhap the biggest mystery in a year full of mysteries going into the season. Shocker Madness will be here before we know it.

New Coach, many new players, new hopes! Really looking forward to Shocker Madness this year more than most.

:goshocks:

Comment

That brings up a memory from years ago:

I remember when Red Auerbach was in Wichita to scout Larry Bird (his senior year) and one of the comments that Auerbach made, while in Wichita, was that he did not know whether Boston would draft Bird or not, because Bird was slow. That was a case of either Auerbach being very truthful or being sly like a fox, or both. Now we know the rest of the story. Bird was quick enough to cash many checks.

Granted, Hatch is not Larry Bird, but athleticism does not guarantee success and lack of athleticism does not necessarily predict a lack of success! There are other intangibles that come into play (no pun intended).

Comment

Boston and Red drafed Bird when he, Bird, was a junior.

One of the ballsiest moves in pro sports over the last 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                    Boston and Red drafed Bird when he, Bird, was a junior.

One of the ballsiest moves in pro sports over the last 50 years.
                    He probably decided after seeing Bird (his junior year) that simply saying Bird was slow would not keep other teams from drafting him (Bird). And I'm sure he didn't want to give everyone another year to think about it.....

Besides those ugly green uniforms and low cut shoes made all of the Celtics LOOK slow... :D
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Oh yea, cause Bird said he wouldnt play for anyone but Indiana.
                      What do you have against the uni's of the greatest sports franchise ever in basketball?

I like this comparing Hatch to one of the top 3 best ever basketball players

Comment

Actually, while Larry looked slow, most people who played against him considered him one of the quickest and most athletic people they had to face. His athleticism was deceptive, but it certainly was there.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Larry Bird had a work ethic that was off the charts. I did not see him play here in Wichita. However, there may be some here on SN that did witness him draining shots from 21st and Hillside. Larry was a NBA impact player and turned the Celtic Franchise around his very first year in a huge way. This is rare.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Bird was 6'9" and a natural SG, SF or PF.

Magic Johnson was a 6'9" PG who could play any position on the court. That's what made the matchups between Johnson and Bird so special. Both guys could play anywhere on the court.

Sometimes my memory tricks me, but I seem to recall Cheese Johnson (as a Fr) playing in an NCAA game against Magic and late in the game Cheese made Fr mistake. Passed the ball out of bounds or stepped on the sideline making a pass or something like that.

We had a clue who Cheese was playing against, but didn't know the history that Magic would make over his career.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                              Bird was 6'9" and a natural SG, SF or PF.

Magic Johnson was a 6'9" PG who could play any position on the court. That's what made the matchups between Johnson and Bird so special. Both guys could play anywhere on the court.

Sometimes my memory tricks me, but I seem to recall Cheese Johnson (as a Fr) playing in an NCAA game against Magic and late in the game Cheese made Fr mistake. Passed the ball out of bounds or stepped on the sideline making a pass or something like that.

We had a clue who Cheese was playing against, but didn't know the history that Magic would make over his career.
                              I recall that game being against Michigan, not Michigan St.... so, I don't believe it was Cheese and Magic. Of course I could be wrong as my memory is suspect at times.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

It was 1975 and the guard for Michigan was Rickey Green who went on to play in the NBA and was a 1st round pick of Golden State in 1976. If my memory serves me correcty we had the ball and the lead with around :20 to go(no shot clock in those days) . Cheese got into the lane and missed a shot and Green threw in a leaping leaner at the buzzer to give Michigan the win by 1. They went on to lose to Indiana in the final as Indiana went undefeated.
                                "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                                which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Working...
                                X