Toure Murray verbals to Wichita State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OKLAHOMA STATE'S TROUBLES CONTINUE
    Sep 11, 2007 | 7:26AM | report this The offseason hasn’t been kind to Sean Sutton and Oklahoma State.

Obi Muonelo was arrested in June for being underage in a bar. Senior Marcus Dove was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence about a month later.

Now Cowboys junior big man Kenneth Cooper, who was expected to start in the middle, has left and transferred to Louisiana Tech.

Cooper’s numbers were modest a year ago at 4.7 points and 3.1 boards per game. He wanted to be closer to his home in Monroe, La., and the fact that Louisiana Tech head coach Kerry Rupp has former NBA star Karl Malone extremely involved in the program certainly helped get Cooper aboard.

Now Sutton, who also lost star forward Mario Boggan up front to graduation, will need one of his freshmen – Martavius Adams or Ibrahima Thomas – to step up quickly this season.

Oklahoma State should be solid in the backcourt and on the wings with returnees Muonelo, Byron Eaton and Terrel Harris – along with talented freshman James Anderson.

Dove may have to see extended time at power forward and Adams, Thomas and fellow freshman forward Marshall Moses will get plenty of opportunity to play right away.

NO SHOCKER

Gregg Marshall walked out of an in-home visit with Toure Murry with his first commitment in the Class of 2008.

The new Wichita State had targeted Murry, a 6-foot-3 combo guard out of Klein Forest (Texas), as his top guy coming out of July because of his length, versatility and ability to score in a variety of ways.

Murry, who knocked down nine trifectas in one game this summer, had no offers entering July and came out of it with 16.

While Marshall isn’t allowed to comment on kids until they sign, he did say he was happy with how hard his current group is working.

Marshall also told FOXSports.com that he will use one of his two hours this week to run a full practice.

``We have a new system and a new program with new guys,” he said. “We’re going to have a practice on Monday because the NCAA is allowing that after Sept. 15.”

Comment

Of his HS teammates last year:

- 6'10 Anthony Thompson to Bradley (Scout, Rivals 3-star)
      - 6'7 Alonzo Edwards to Nebraska (Scout 3-star)
      - The kid going to KU for football doesn't appear on Klein Forest's b-ball roster.

Of others in his senior class at Klein Forest:

- PG Chris Hines verballed to Utah over Purdue (Scout, Rivals 2-star)

So he's definitely had some talent on his HS team. Also, he was listed at 6'0" as a Jr. So it appears he's grown roughly three inches in under a year.

Comment

I did find a roster that included Jonathan Wilson, the player headed to KU for football. So that makes four D-1 athletes, not including Toure, on his team last season.

That same roster also listed him at 5'11". So that's potentially four inches in one year.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
          Originally posted by lawmaker
          stars?
          I assume as a Baylor fan you meant "bars", in which case the answer is "No, Toure doesn't have a criminal record."
          Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

After doing a little more digging, Murry's four-inch growth spurt occurred over a 5-month period.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              After doing a little more digging, Murry's four-inch growth spurt occurred over a 5-month period.
              I liked the 6" growth report better.

Comment

By that standard he will be 7-0 by the time classes start next year! Looks like we still need a guard!

That also gives reason for his thin frame.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                  Of his HS teammates last year:

- 6'10 Anthony Thompson to Bradley (Scout, Rivals 3-star)
                  - 6'7 Alonzo Edwards to Nebraska (Scout 3-star)
                  - The kid going to KU for football doesn't appear on Klein Forest's b-ball roster.

Of others in his senior class at Klein Forest:

- PG Chris Hines verballed to Utah over Purdue (Scout, Rivals 2-star)

So he's definitely had some talent on his HS team. Also, he was listed at 6'0" as a Jr. So it appears he's grown roughly three inches in under a year.
                  Makes sense now as I was scratching my head over his 10 points and 3-star rating.

Comment

If he had signed with Baylor, considering their success in men's basketball, he probably would have been reduced to a no-star player in every service.

Welcome Toure, keep growing your body and your game. We look forward to getting to know you.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                      If he had signed with Baylor, considering their success in men's basketball, he probably would have been reduced to a no-star player in every service.

Welcome Toure, keep growing your body and your game. We look forward to getting to know you.
                      While clearly being the worst team in the Big XII south the last few years, Drew has brought in a 5* guard, a couple 4* players and a few other 3* recruits. If Toure had signed with the Bears my guess is that he would be getting more attention from the recruiting services, not less. I guess it doesn't matter how bad you are, if you play in a BCS conference you're going to get love from Rivals and Scout.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Sounds like a good recruit with potential. He might even end up a wing if he keeps growing.

Comment

Sounds like GM got a good prospect. Doesn't suprise me at all. I'll be suprised if he doesn't bring in better talent than MT did.

Comment

not to start another of those long discussions, but all else being the same, he should be able to get a higher caliber of recruit given the higher profiles of both the valley and the shocks in the last couple years.

Comment

and here we go......

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngr
                                not to start another of those long discussions, but all else being the same, he should be able to get a higher caliber of recruit given the higher profiles of both the valley and the shocks in the last couple years.
                                I think GM's style of play is more attractive to recruits as well. Not that I think it's a good thing, but a lot of these kids want to play in an up-tempo, free-wheeling style that "showcases their game". With his success at Winthrop, it seems GM has been able to let guys play while limiting turnovers and bad shots.
                                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                                -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X