Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going to cover the old ball coach's schedule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan
    Originally posted by shox1989
    I think the FORMER COACH'S NAME should forever be banned from this board.

Any coach who would take a recruit wtih him to his new school does NOT deserve to be talked about on this board .

He got paid well for his poor performance here (he had one good year, a few mediocre years and a few bad years).
    He had a winning record every year except his first (picked to finish last and finished 9th) and his second (finished .500). This is after 10 years, three coaches, and one year above .500. His highlights (top 10 ranking and a sweet 16) were the best this school has seen in over 20 years. After all of that a top 10 team in a BCS conference asked for his services. I would hardly call that a poor performance.
    Agreed on accounts, except that he could have left on better terms, and people from Wichita would have loved him forever.

Comment

Any coach who would take a recruit wtih him to his new school does NOT deserve to be talked about on this board .

He got paid well for his poor performance here (he had one good year, a few mediocre years and a few bad years).
      This reminds me of a billboard i noticed last week in Chicago. " Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid."

:roll:

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle 41
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
          Originally posted by shox1989

He had a winning record every year except his first (picked to finish last and finished 9th) and his second (finished .500). This is after 10 years, three coaches, and one year above .500. His highlights (top 10 ranking and a sweet 16) were the best this school has seen in over 20 years. After all of that a top 10 team in a BCS conference asked for his services. I would hardly call that a poor performance.
          He did a lot to bring this program up. But you have to admit he disappointed and/or underachieved while here. He did have one very good year, and a couple of alright years with a couple of disappointing years. He was paid well and did take a recruit with him when he left. It's the last one that gets me. I really have no more interest in aTm now than I did while he was here. It could actually be a little less as I was always interested in how BG built that program to compete with the top of that conference.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
            Agreed on accounts, except that he could have left on better terms, and people from Wichita would have loved him forever.
            They should love him forever regardless. MT was AWESOME for WSU for 8 years! Total revival, now look what we got! Another very good coach who may not have come to the midwest had it not been for what MT accomplished! :)

Anytime someone leaves to go somewhere else...everything in that move isn't going to be necessarily considered "good terms". Its just how it is...
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I love how some people say that MT underachieved most of his time at WSU...WHAT? By whose exact standards? Compared to previous years prior to his arrival? Creighton's coach and a majority of their fans would give their left you know whats for a Sweet 16 and would have thrown a few of their conference tourney champs in to boot.

Regardless of how you want to see the program it was still growing when the building blocks of the revival were on campus (Randy, Jamar, Rob, and even Paul the year previous to the Sweet 16) The teams they were competing with in our league such as Creighton, SIU and even SMS had an established track record of winning. UNI had the perfect storm of suprising talent and a coach that got maximum out of his players. That said...they one a tourney to get in one year and got selected for the dance the second year even after they finished behind us in the standings and lost earlier in the conference tourney...go figure.

The departures of some of the recruits was inevitable with the change. Ask Jeff Capel how many of Sampson's prized recruits showed up on campus once the change was made there. It happens with any change of the head man. Bowles had decided he wasn't coming to WSU, Turgeon or no Turgeon, so to say he stole him or took him isn't reality. Was it an ideal situation...No...but it wasn't a shady deal in the dark either.

Guy would have been here, Hatch is here and Clemente (MT and staff did the legwork on this one I believe) is here. Baker dug his own grave and Sampay did what he wanted.

Some people need to be happy about the new coach and stop trying to come up with reasons to hate the old coach. All he did was change the status quo for the previous 15 years and try to build something you could be proud of. That at the very least should garner your respect as a WSU fan.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker
                Total revival, now look what we got! Another very good coach who may not have come to the midwest had it not been for what MT accomplished! :)

Truer and more fair words may never be spoken again.

Comment

Everyone is entitled to her/his opinion of Mark Turgeon. I don't really care what anyone else thinks of MT; to me, he isn't WSU's coach any more and I don't really think about him.
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I wish Turg all the success in the world until his team plays a Valley team. With his knowledge of the Valley I dont expect that anytime soon, especially after KU's showings against Bradley and SIU. :wsu_posters: 8)
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Man some of you have really low standards.

If one ncaa appearance in 8 years, NO conference tournament championships in 8 years (didn't even make it to the championship game in 8 years) and 1 regular season championship in 8 years in great. Than I would hate to see what you guys think is bad.

The guy was paid big money and had only mediocre results at best. That is realty. In fact I am not sure how much credit he deserves for the Sweet 16 run, Paul Miller is the one who provided the senior leadership to carry the team to the Sweet 16. Turgeon just took Paul's ride to the bank.

If you guys think Turg's performance was worth his pay then Gene Stephenson should be paid about $200 billion dollars a year. :posterwsu:

Comment

Man some of you have really low standards.

If one ncaa appearance in 8 years, NO conference tournament championships in 8 years (didn't even make it to the championship game in 8 years) and 1 regular season championship in 8 years in great. Than I would hate to see what you guys think is bad.
                        And to refresh your earlier comments:

Maybe you've forgotten how bad things were before he arrived and what he had to work with the first few years. Empty cupboard, outdated facilities, no winning momentum, etc. Yes, we should expect more now based on where our program is at but you have to put things in a little more perspective instead of coming across as the extremist of Shockernet. You certainly are entitled to your opinion but to say his name should never be mentioned here again? Idiocy at it's finest.

If I see Turg again, I'll shake his hand and thank him again for his time in Wichita.

:blink:

P.S. All my friends tell me it's not me who has low standards it's my wife... LOL

Comment

What's that saying? Oh yeah, "Hell hath no fury like a lover scorned".

All the best to the Turgeons and his staff. May we soundly defeat you in the Dance :good:

Go Shocks!!!!
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                            Truer and more fair words may never be spoken again.
                            Just think guys, if it weren't for what Mark accomplished, ICT316 could be our coach.

Seriously though, I wish him all the best until his guys run into us. Mark and Ann were really good to my store, and have kept in contact since they left. I know it was really hard for the family to leave, and I hope they are happy in TX.

It's a new era in Shocker Basketball!
                            Jocks & Jills
                            3236 N. Rock Rd
                            Wichita, KS 67226
                            316-260-9800
                            http://www.jocks-jills.com
                            http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

If you guys think Turg's performance was worth his pay then Gene Stephenson should be paid about $200 billion dollars a year.
                              Go ask Schaus if he thinks MT was worth his pay. Better yet, go ask him when he counts the money from his season ticket holders. Stop by President Beggs office too and talk about the marketing publicity and overall donations to the school after that Sweet 16 run. He also was here for 7 years, not 8. Three straight 20 win seasons and 5 straight winning seasons and 6 straight non-losing seasons after the previous decade and then some and what he had to work with facility wise when he showed up. I think you'd here them sing a different tune then yourself.

Be unhappy that he left and even indifferent to A&M and what they're doing, that's understandable, but to degrade him for the job he did while he was here is absurd.

Comment

If not for what Turgeon was able to accomplish here, we'd be hiring an unproven assistant, not an experienced, successful HC like Gregg Marshall.

Comment

Working...
                                X