Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going to cover the old ball coach's schedule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Turgeon was exactly what we needed at the end of Smithson's era.

Gregg Marshall is exactly what we need from this point forward.

Man, I'm excited.

PS--Notice that we're one of very few programs around the country that are actually talking college basketball right now. I think this speaks volumes for the potential of our program. Our basketball team is the who's who of Wichita. They don't have to compete with anything else.

Talk about a recruiting tool.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989
      If you guys think Turg's performance was worth his pay then Gene Stephenson should be paid about $200 billion dollars a year. :posterwsu:
      While I'm not sure that I agree with the first part of your post, I certainly agree that Gene deserves better than he is getting.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
        PS--Notice that we're one of very few programs around the country that are actually talking college VOLLEYBALL right now. I think this speaks volumes for the potential of our program. Our VOLLEYBALL team is the who's who of Wichita. They don't have to compete with anything else.
        :evil: ;-)
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

"PS--Notice that we're one of very few programs around the country that are actually talking college basketball right now. I think this speaks volumes for the potential of our program. Our basketball team is the who's who of Wichita. They don't have to compete with anything else."

I don't want to discredit the excitement for the upcoming season. Believe me, I can't wait for this season to get started. That's why I looked for discussion boards such as this one and valleytalk because I find myself on the internet everyday looking for any update on the basketball team. But most schools aren't talking a whole lot of basketball right now because they have a whole lot of football to get ready for. As I read further I am now realizing that your last sentence basically says that. I am stating the obvious now. OK so my first post isn't magnificant. I'm glad to be here though!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wushock41
            Man some of you have really low standards.

If one ncaa appearance in 8 years, NO conference tournament championships in 8 years (didn't even make it to the championship game in 8 years) and 1 regular season championship in 8 years in great. Than I would hate to see what you guys think is bad.
            And to refresh your earlier comments:

I think the FORMER COACH'S NAME should forever be banned from this board.

Any coach who would take a recruit wtih him to his new school does NOT deserve to be talked about on this board .

He got paid well for his poor performance here (he had one good year, a few mediocre years and a few bad years).
            Maybe you've forgotten how bad things were before he arrived and what he had to work with the first few years. Empty cupboard, outdated facilities, no winning momentum, etc. Yes, we should expect more now based on where our program is at but you have to put things in a little more perspective instead of coming across as the extremist of Shockernet. You certainly are entitled to your opinion but to say his name should never be mentioned here again? Idiocy at it's finest.

If I see Turg again, I'll shake his hand and thank him again for his time in Wichita.

:blink:

P.S. All my friends tell me it's not me who has low standards it's my wife... LOL

Actually It took Turgeon six years to get us to the ncaa tournament. I think if we had kept Randy and had given him the pay, budget and the facilities we gave Turgeon he would have gotten us there faster. WSU was trying to get by on the cheap during the Smithson era.

If it weren't for Paul Miller's leadership we would have been at best one and done in the dance. or more than likely back to the nit again. The things I remember most about Turg's coaching ability were games like the awful loss to Vanderbilt (we lost a game that was almost impossible to lose). And the horrible season last year after we started 8-0.

I think we do now have a better coach in Marshall. It's just too bad Turg left the team in such bad shape that it is going to take Marshall a few years to recover.

Comment

If one ncaa appearance in 8 years, NO conference tournament championships in 8 years (didn't even make it to the championship game in 8 years) and 1 regular season championship in 8 years in great. Than I would hate to see what you guys think is bad.

Any coach who would take a recruit wtih him to his new school does NOT deserve to be talked about on this board .

He got paid well for his poor performance here (he had one good year, a few mediocre years and a few bad years).
              Maybe you've forgotten how bad things were before he arrived and what he had to work with the first few years. Empty cupboard, outdated facilities, no winning momentum, etc. Yes, we should expect more now based on where our program is at but you have to put things in a little more perspective instead of coming across as the extremist of Shockernet. You certainly are entitled to your opinion but to say his name should never be mentioned here again? Idiocy at it's finest.

If I see Turg again, I'll shake his hand and thank him again for his time in Wichita.

P.S. All my friends tell me it's not me who has low standards it's my wife... LOL

Actually It took Turgeon six years to get us to the ncaa tournament. I think if we had kept Randy and had given him the pay, budget and the facilities we gave Turgeon he would have gotten us there faster. WSU was trying to get by on the cheap during the Smithson era.

If it weren't for Paul Miller's leadership we would have been at best one and done in the dance. or more than likely back to the nit again. The things I remember most about Turg's coaching ability were games like the awful loss to Vanderbilt (we lost a game that was almost impossible to lose). And the horrible season last year after we started 8-0.

I think we do now have a better coach in Marshall. It's just too bad Turg left the team in such bad shape that it is going to take Marshall a few years to recover.
              Wow, what short memories we have.
              I walked through Levitt's bowels after Mo Evan's first game and thought "This place is a dump. Who would want to come here and play in this hole."
              The facts are simple - MT took over a losing program, subpar facilities and no talent left in the cupboard. A lot of talented coaches would have shied away. However, MT did come and turned around a program that 3 previous regimes had left in shambles.
              I talked with MT several times and he was nothing but class each and every time. As Shocker fans, you couldn't have wished for a better coach. He was the perfect prescription at the time. However, I do agree it was time for him to move on.
              And he has.
              And so does WSU basketball.
              And in much better shape than it was 7 years ago.
              So thank you MT and staff.
              Now onto the next era. 8)
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Roster

Interesting...14 of 16 players for A&M are from Texas...mainly Dallas and Houston.

Denzel Bowles from Virginia one of the two from outside Texas.

Comment

I thought we had exhausted this topic shortly after MT left and before GM arrived, when naturally tempers and disappointment were running wild.

Regardless of what the soothsayers spout, MT will unquestioning go down as one of the Shocker's finest, and rightfully so. He took a poor program, righted it. Seems like we still have a few who conveniently forget that the most significant thing he achieved was that he brought us back to basketball respectability. And, abeit for a very short period of time last year, he even had us ranked among the country's elite.

Had he stayed who knows what would have happened. He certainly had what looked like a great freshman coming in. But, he didn't stay and took off for what I assume he thought were greener pastures.

The most positive thing that came out of all this is that it looks like we obtained one hellava new coach who is very likely to carry us even higher.

So we can either call MT a bum, cuss him, and belittle everytime he accomplished or we can appreciate what he did for WSU and wish him the very best.

Seems to be that the majority of us have chosen the latter.

Comment

Completely disagree with the above statement on same support and same results for Randy. That's purely hypothetical and Randy given the opportunity to produce did not live up to expectations.

The things I remember most about Turg's coaching ability were games like the awful loss to Vanderbilt (we lost a game that was almost impossible to lose). And the horrible season last year after we started 8-0.
                    MT should have ran out and tackled the individual that didn't follow his defensive assignment at the end of the Vanderbilt game.

Whether GM is a better coach or not is yet to be seen in a conference where you fight for your life night in and night out. He looks on paper to be that coach.

You're right Turg left the program in a terrible place from where he inherited it, that's why Marshall agreed to come coach here. Get real.
                    [/quote]

Comment

Someone made the analogy back in the spring as follows, which I liked:

MT came in and built the basic structure - poured the foundation, ran the plumbing and electrical, and finished the drywall.

Now, GM can come in with his polish and flair and put finishing touches on a solid structure.

Thanks, MT, and good luck at aTm, and with GM, I don't know how we'll fare in the W-L area this year, but it certainly won't be boring basketball.

Two months to the first exy game!
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by WiFi_Guy
                        Completely disagree with the above statement on same support and same results for Randy. That's purely hypothetical and Randy given the opportunity to produce did not live up to expectations.

The things I remember most about Turg's coaching ability were games like the awful loss to Vanderbilt (we lost a game that was almost impossible to lose). And the horrible season last year after we started 8-0.
                        MT should have ran out and tackled the individual that didn't follow his defensive assignment at the end of the Vanderbilt game.

Whether GM is a better coach or not is yet to be seen in a conference where you fight for your life night in and night out. He looks on paper to be that coach.

You're right Turg left the program in a terrible place from where he inherited it, that's why Marshall agreed to come coach here. Get real.
                        WiFi Guy,
                        Keep in mind the poster who is pointing the finger is the same one who stated PJ's busted thumb shouldn't have affected his performance last season. We're not talking about a lot of poster credibility here. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef

Wow, what short memories we have.
                          I walked through Levitt's bowels after Mo Evan's first game and thought "This place is a dump. Who would want to come here and play in this hole."
                          The facts are simple - MT took over a losing program, subpar facilities and no talent left in the cupboard. A lot of talented coaches would have shied away. However, MT did come and turned around a program that 3 previous regimes had left in shambles.
                          I talked with MT several times and he was nothing but class each and every time. As Shocker fans, you couldn't have wished for a better coach. He was the perfect prescription at the time. However, I do agree it was time for him to move on.
                          And he has.
                          And so does WSU basketball.
                          And in much better shape than it was 7 years ago.
                          So thank you MT and staff.
                          Now onto the next era. 8)

Will put ShockRef! :posterwu: 8) 8)
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

1989, you might be understandably bitter about how Turgeon left some things around here, but your revisionist's history of what he accomplished during his tenure as the leader of WSU men's basketball is borderline lunacy.

If anyone could have led WSU to the S16, why didn't they?

Randy's program was headed in the opposite direction from where it should have been. He had, arguably, two of the best WSU players in the last 20 years on his team in the same season, and he could barely manage a .500 mark.

The fact that Turgeon's teams showed near INSTANT improvement, and built on that every year until his final one, should disprove your argument alone.
                            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Mark Turgeon is just another Eddie Fogler. The only reason he stayed here longer than Fogler was because it took him so long to get the dance.

If we had been to the dance sooner, Turgeon would have left sooner.

It is hard to compare Smithson to Turgeon. As someone said WSU was trying to get by cheaply during the Smithson era.

Randy had a "dump" (as someone posted) for his recruits to see while Mark got a brand new facility, Randy had a small tight budget to try and get by on while Mark and his team got to fly on chartered jets. It is very hard to compare. We don't have apples to apples to go by.

We have a new coach now. It is time to support Marshall and forget about Mark what's his name.

Let's move on! GO SHOX!!! :wsu_posters:

Comment

Shocker3 - Mark is just another Eddie Fogler. The only reason he stayed here longer than Fogler was because it took him so long to get the dance.

If we had been to the dance sooner, Turgeon would have left sooner.

It is hard to compare Smithson to Turgeon. As someone said WSU was trying to get by cheaply during the Smithson era.

Randy had a "dump" (as someone posted) for his recruits to see while Mark got a brand new facility, Randy had a small tight budget to try and get by on while Mark and his team got to fly on chartered jets. It is very hard to compare. We don't have apples to apples to go by.

We have a new coach now. It is time to support Marshall and forget about Mark what's his name.

Let's move on! GO SHOX!!! :wsu_posters:

Yea, I can see where recruiting players while playing in the Cow Palace would really provide an advantage over previous regimes. I'm sure potential recruits were impressed with that Taj Mahal. No question about it. A definite recruiting advantage for MT and staff. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                X