• Show
Clear All

• Realist checking in

Looking at this year and next year:

Post - Stutz/Durley
    PF - Clemente/Ellis/Blair
    SF - Hawkins/Ellis/Kyles (?)
    Guards - Hannah/Chamberlain/Murry/Kyles/Hatch/Manigault

Sorry, but Durley is a post player. A bit undersized, but he had about as good a Fr year as Randall Falker had. There aren't any minutes available for Durley at PF in the next 2 years. There will be minutes available at the 5.

I think Durley can learn some D and I'm claiming to be a realist. If Durley can play some D, he and Stutz are serviceable at post this year and could be nasty next year. Then there's the possibility that Orukpe comes in the year after that. How in the world do you recruit a post player into that situation?

I think a 6'5" - 6'7" SF is the most logical recruit for 2009. That position is the first long-term spot that needs a player. If we need to go small and quick, we've got that covered for years. If we need to go taller there, that's the recruit we need and could get.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

thank god. we need more realistic expections. there's many people on this site that have such unreasonable expections.

Comment

You forgot Mantas, I still have faith that he'll show the inside - outside threat that made him a JUCO AA.

But, I agree; I'd like to see us sign an athletic 6'5-6'7 SF.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

I just haven't seen much yet at SF in recruiting. Hopefully we can find someone but it's no guarantee. If we have to take another 6'4" guard I'll still be happy.

As far as Durley goes I only hope he finds the motivation to play D. I still believe he could be an All-Valley type of player if he wants it. Having him come in for Stutz isn't a bad thing.

Speaking of Stutz, Marshall loves this kid. I was talking to mvc champs today and he kept commenting on how much Marshall would go on about him and really thinks he'll be a special player. By the time the season rolls around who knows what he'll be capable of.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Anyone of at least three recruits we are after should make Aargh happy. J.J. Richardson and Jon Ekey are listed as combo forwards but are probably best suited for the 3 position. Richardson may be leaning to Oklahoma State or Pitt however. Jon's favorites are unknown but I think we have a good chance. Then there is the possibility of John Wilkins in 2008. He's a little tall for Aargh at 6-9 but he is very good on the perimeter. Another offer is for combo forward Tony Criswell but he projects better suited for the 4 and we are not on his favorites list.
          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
            I just haven't seen much yet at SF in recruiting. Hopefully we can find someone but it's no guarantee. If we have to take another 6'4" guard I'll still be happy.

As far as Durley goes I only hope he finds the motivation to play D. I still believe he could be an All-Valley type of player if he wants it. Having him come in for Stutz isn't a bad thing.

Speaking of Stutz, Marshall loves this kid. I was talking to mvc champs today and he kept commenting on how much Marshall would go on about him and really thinks he'll be a special player. By the time the season rolls around who knows what he'll be capable of.
            From this morning's Eagle http://www.kansas.com/250/story/489468.html

Speaking of work -- WSU sophomore forward J.T. Durley had surgery to insert a screw in his broken left foot on July 23.

A year ago, inactivity would have been cause for great concern. Durley struggled to get into top basketball shape during a redshirt season and in 2007-08..

He is not a perfect specimen yet, but coach Gregg Marshall likes the progress. Strength and conditioning coach Kerry Rosenboom calls him the "new J.T." His weight is down from 246 pounds to 232. His mile time in July was 6 minutes, 16 seconds (on a day when he had already done a 22-minute treadmill sprint), compared to 7:50 in August 2007.

"He's working better, he's doing better," Marshall said. "He's made some strides and wants to put some effort into all aspects of his life."

When Durley hurt his knee as a freshman in 2006, Rosenboom said he disappeared from the weight room. This summer, Durley is a regular, before and after the broken foot
            "He's just been a leader, especially when we had the new guys here," Rosenboom said.

Durley may be able to resume running and cutting by mid-to-late September.

• Forward Mantas Griskenas is scheduled to be cleared to play basketball on Aug. 18. Griskenas, a senior, missed the final month of the season after tearing ligaments in his right knee.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

I like JT.
              veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Now we can only hope he puts that type of effort into improving his D. If he does, he'll be hard to keep off the floor.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I hope this is a positive sign for JT. I have to keep reminding myself that he was only a freshman, but with the loss of EO he will be that much more important. To go along with the original post, I would like to see anyone in the 6'4 to 6'8 range sign in the next period.

Comment

Gabe Blair is that guy you're talking about,quick enough to play on the perimerter and big enough to go inside with the bigs.The kid is a beast in waiting.

Comment

I like JT as well. I liked him before this Article. I am willing to give him the same chance that has been given many of the other eventual stars of the past to become great. I predict he will start showing this even more this year. Even defensively.

Comment

Re: Realist checking in

Originally posted by Aargh
                        Looking at this year and next year:

Post - Stutz/Durley
                        PF - Clemente/Ellis/Blair
                        SF - Hawkins/Ellis/Kyles (?)
                        For 2008-9:
                        Post - Stutz/Durley
                        PF - Clemente/Ellis/Gris
                        SF - Hawkins/Ellis/Kyles

For 2009-10:
                        Post - Stutz/Durley/Orukpe
                        PF - Ellis/Blair
                        SF - Hawkins/Ellis/Kyles
                        :D
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Comment

Re: Realist checking in

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

For 2008-9:
                            Post - Stutz/Durley
                            PF - Clemente/Ellis/Gris
                            SF - Hawkins/Ellis/Kyles
                            Guards - Hannah/Chamberlain/Murry/Kyles/Hatch

For 2009-10:
                            Post - Stutz/Durley/Orukpe
                            PF - Ellis/Blair
                            SF - Hawkins/Ellis/Kyles
                            :D
                            Corrected :D
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                              You're missing Blair from that list. He very well could be a starter both years he's eligible.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X