Who Will Surprise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Will Surprise?

With a new, hard-charging Head Coach, a new system and a bunch of new faces to integrate this coming year will be very, very interesting.

The only two known commodities on this team are P.J. and Matt.

Players with somewhat high expectations would include Gal, Mantas, Ramon, Ehimen (if he's available) and possibly Aaron.

Guys that are either relatively unkown or have shown to have limitations in their games include Phil, J.T., Wendell, Graham, Arbry, Brett B, Lance and Bret M.

With a Coach that seems to value hard work, intensity and toughness would seem to open up an opportunity for some guys to step up and give us a positive surprise this year. Seems like we have more than a few candidates for that also.

Wendell, for one, might be the kind of player that Marshall would really like as a key role player and one who could respond very well to HCGM's approach to the game.

Shocker fans have had to endure a lot of turmoil since Mark announced his departure. But all in all, despite our lack of size, we could be a really interesting team this year (with or without Ehimen).

Who do the rest of you think will be our positive surprises this year?

I believe Phil will be a very pleasant surprise for us this season. He really floundered in our second half last season when the offense stagnated in ineffective half court sets.

Marshall's style of play will be much more conducive towards increased production from PT. I expect 25+ mpg, 9 ppg, 5 rpg, and less fouls. The playing time is certainly his for the taking.

Comment

I think Gal will tear it up in marshall's system.
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I think right now we have a better team than if Turgeon was still here. When turgeon was here, we would have had Bowles, Baker, Hatch, Guy (RIP), and probably Clemente. If we have them we are a young team. That is one juco guy. Marshall came in though and got guys who are ready to not only play but start.

Comment

Originally posted by RHshoxfan
          I think right now we have a better team than if Turgeon was still here. When turgeon was here, we would have had Bowles, Baker, Hatch, Guy (RIP), and probably Clemente. If we have them we are a young team. That is one juco guy. Marshall came in though and got guys who are ready to not only play but start.
          You forgot about Sampay. Also, Tristan Thompson has said he was set to come to WSU when the coaching change occurred. But don't get me wrong. I'm happy as can be about how things have worked out.
          In the fast lane

Comment

Thanks Trop, I had forgot about TT.

I am encouraged by SR's comments on PT. However I have been on the PT bandwagon for 2 years and I am going to have to see some consistency before I buy in again but the talent is there.

My first surprise will be PJ. You may say "but Doc, everyone knows he is the best player on the team....what are you on???" Well, I am fine and think most people are not going to believe how good PJ is going to be. He is going to dominate and if he stays healthy he'll be the best player in the league.

My other choices (at this point) would be that a couple of freshman will surprise. I'll admit a bias here......I have met them and walked away from the meeting EXTRAORDINARILY impressed with both young men. I am not saying they are going to start or lead the team in scoring but Bret Burley and Aaron Ellis are going to help us before the year is out and perhaps sooner than later.

Comment

Here's the deal. I think PJ will being shooting lights out and a solid leader on both sides of the court.. He will definitely be one of the very elite Valley players. I think both MB and GM will flourish in this system. I think Clemente may be a pleasent surprise and a Man on the boards.

I actually thought PT played better the 1st half of the year last season.. His interior defense and free-throw shooting concerned me last year. However, I look for him to have a nice year for us and his weaknesses are correctable. Durley needs to be sure he is in tip-top shape because he has quite an opportunity with his nice moves inside and scoring touch to get some nice minutes.

WP was hitting everything last year from the outside in the intra-squad scrimmage early on. However, That touch he had worked so hard on that summer seem to go by the wayside. At times I thought he played solid defense. Other times it seemed players were zipping by him too easy. WP will get some solid minutes and I look for his game to improve.

Overall, I think our Defense and quality depth will be better. I really hope we can get our Center in here in time. If not, I still think we will be a top 3 team in the Valley. However, we may have some learning curve issues early on. We should have a strong finish unlike last year.

Actually, I think the flood gates have opened for Burley to step in and earn a schollie for next year and something tells me he will do Just That. Can u dig it? I am really proud of Aubury Butler getting eligible and believe he will get his chance to shine. He can soar up above the square on the rim and run like a deer.

This will be an exiting and fun year. The more we win, the happier we all will be and the fewer melt-downs we will encounter. Let's get wild and crazy and let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wsu_posters:
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Doc,

Out of curiosity, on what basis are you forming your opinion about Burley's contribution to the team? He seems like an intriguing story ("late bloomer"). If his skill set is what has been reported and he continues to grow as his father projects, who knows what we might have as a gift player?

We are in for some interesting times this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Txlen
                  Doc,

Out of curiosity, on what basis are you forming your opinion about Burley's contribution to the team? He seems like an intriguing story ("late bloomer"). If his skill set is what has been reported and he continues to grow as his father projects, who knows what we might have as a gift player?

We are in for some interesting times this year!

As I said, I admit a bias. Sharp, intelligent, well mannered student athletes get a big boost in my book. Burley is a big kid that can shoot. If the game isn't too fast for him I think he will be a nice addition. My thoughts are only based on a little knowledge and meeting them. I'll report more when I see them play next week.

Comment

After watching PJ make pretty much every shot he put up Friday at the individual workouts, it would surprise me if he "DOESN'T" score 15-20 a game and compete for Valley POY.

I was caught asking myself, "how could he be any better?" He can shoot the 3, drive, finish, lockdown larger guys and he's all heart with a great attitude. Nobody outworks him, I just wish he would stay and coach after this year. He will make a lot of money as a professional player very shortly.
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

In my estimation Clemente will be the biggest surprise. He will be the solid inside player we need regardless of height and I think his relentless hustle and attitude will do wonders for us

Comment

I'm going with Clemente on this one. He is so full of determination, so I got to believe he will do wonders for us. He is starting to remind me of X.
                        In the fast lane

Comment

I think we will be asking a lot from Clemente, but he does seem like the guy that can handle it. He will become an anchor for the team.

I like the addition of Ellis. He seems like the perfect complement to Gris.
                          Both should be dangerous players.

How good our guards are will determine how well we will do. They have to be solid and good, with good shooting from the outside. I hope that Wendall gets his shot going this year. Matt and Gal stroke it pretty nice. I think Graham will be a pleasant surprise for the fans, and play better than what everyone is expecting. 20 is about when your determination catches up with your talent. I don't want to forget Lance, who showed some solid minutes last year, and he has a pretty good shot.

Like I mentioned before, Durley and Thomasson are question marks for me until I see them play. Burley sounds better than a normal walkon, and could get some solid time from him also.

Who is Bret M?

Everything is pretty new, and it will be an exciting season. Going up early against Baylor will put them right in the trenches, and test their toughness early on.

I hope Orukpe gets here.

Comment

I'm going to be hopeful and optimistic and go with Thomasson.

I think a year of experience coming off the bench will help. If he's a starter and the coaches have confidence in him that will help. Clemente will take some inside presure off of Phil - that will help. More height at the 3 will help.

There are a lot of reasons to think Phil will be more comfortable and confident this year. In my opinion, that's all Phil needs to have a breakout year. If Phil can get to 30 minutes, 9 pts and 6 boards - and not sucker for any and every head fake - I will be happy with his performance.

I was not happy to see him enter the court in the second half of last season. Please let that be just an unpleasant memory of a player adjusting to a new position in D1.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I gotta go with Brauer on this one. I think he will learn to drive and dish, especially in an up tempo fast break offense, and I think he has worked hard on his shot. Not to mention this is his senior year and you know that motivates a kid like him.

Comment

Working...
                              X