Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that like Ramon as this year's Big Surprise:

From Today's Eagle:

A taste of workouts under Marshall comes from this bit of action from a physical 2-on-2 game last week.

Ramon Clemente out-hustles his opponents for three offensive rebounds, muscles in a putback over a defender and lets out a yell. Marshall, enjoying the fierce effort, bellows, "Who's badder than you out there?"

"Nobody," Clemente replies.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
      Who is Bret M?
      From Today's Eagle:

Bret Michael will walk on with the men's basketball team, and he sees the non-scholarship duty as a dream come true.

Michael, a freshman guard, grew up in Wichita and attended Sunrise Christian Academy. The frenzied scene during games at Koch Arena, and the chance to play Division I basketball sold him.

"I love the atmosphere," he said. "They sell out every home game. Who doesn't love that?"

Michael (6-0, 175 pounds) made his introductions to former coach Mark Turgeon, and then kept himself in the picture playing with the Shockers during the summer. Now he is on the roster.

"I just want to work hard in practice and make them better," he said. "Playing time is not a big deal. I want the team to win."

Brett Burley, a forward from Canada and returner Lance Harris are also walk-ons.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Bret by our next Cam Ledford?

Comment

I would go with Gal or maybe Ramon. Im not that optomistic about Phil T... hopefully he proves me wrong. He seems to be one of those guys that has the ability but can't put all the pieces together.

Comment

I think Hatch, Ellis and or Burley. I think Hatch can probably stroke it. Ellis has basis for a all around player and Burley will be a blue collar hustle king.
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I think Hatch will suprise everyone on how much he contributes later in the season.

Comment

I think Phil will have a big year
              Someone on here said that last year Phil did good early in the season...then later in the season things slowed down...and the game slowed down and Phil didnt do as well....
              Phil does better in the fast paced game...and that is what Marshall likes

Comment

Based on BostonWu's report of HCGM's comments at rotary today, that J.T. has reported back to school in great shape, I may have to change by thinking.

J.T. could be a very effective inside player in the MVC.

Comment

My pick to surprise will be the whole team. They're gonna surprise everyone with their play and will stun many opponents. I'm not picking out an individual, because for this TEAM to play well, all must step it up and surprise us all every game.

Comment

If JT surprises me I'll be quite disappointed.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      Based on BostonWu's report of HCGM's comments at rotary today, that J.T. has reported back to school in great shape, I may have to change by thinking.

His outside shot isn't shabby by any means either! :D
                      Jocks & Jills
                      3236 N. Rock Rd
                      Wichita, KS 67226
                      316-260-9800
                      http://www.jocks-jills.com
                      http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                        If JT surprises me I'll be quite disappointed.
                        Took me a second... 8) ;-)
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by J&J-Ryan
                          Originally posted by 1972Shocker

His outside shot isn't shabby by any means either! :D
                          You are more than right about his outside shot.

I have seen him play in pick-up games quite a bit. It those games, he is not shy about putting the ball up from 3. Surprisingly to me, he is a pretty dern good shooter from 3.

Another surprise to me is he is pretty good in driving to the basket from outside and finishing. A big player will have a difficult time in guarding him on the outside.

Comment

I expect him to have a pretty big impact on this team and he should be the offensive leader in the post.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It seems to me that we suddenly have a bevy of outside shooters...and a certain PG will be a "Spark" on offense as well this year.
                              Jocks & Jills
                              3236 N. Rock Rd
                              Wichita, KS 67226
                              316-260-9800
                              http://www.jocks-jills.com
                              http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

If Durley can take what RDR reports from scrimmages to games (Preadom didn't), then here's how Durley shapes up (pun intended):

6'7" - 245
                                In shape - beefed up
                                Can shoot from 3
                                Has the handles to drive from the perimeter and finish
                                Can bang inside

I hate to have overly high expectations of first-year players, but if those characteristics and abilities show up in games, then Durley is looking like a shorter, somewhat more beefy, more athletic version of Paul Miller. The athleticism factor could result in faster progress than Miller had.

A year ago it was reported that Thomasson was "a beast" in pickup games and acrimmages. That didn't carry over to an entire season of game play.

Durley is starting to sound like a combination of the best of Miller and Wilson in a slightly shorter body. I will hope for that, but still think it's unreasonable to have expectations like that for a first-year player.

It's more pleasant to have player expectations surpassed then have thier game not live up to expectations.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X