No announcement yet.

Ehimen Orupke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't his meeting take place with the embassy happen soon? I would guess that would give us a good indication of what's to happen
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
      Doesn't his meeting take place with the embassy happen soon? I would guess that would give us a good indication of what's to happen
      Yes. 8)
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

And from the sounds of things, he needs to take along a suitcase full of money.

The statement in the article says it all:

"The coach, as of yet blissfully ignorant to the visa issues and money-hungry middle men that often complicated the final delivery of Nigerian players, shook Okwandu's hand and promised he'd see him soon, in America."

Comment

That is absolutely terrible how they make it so hard for them to leave. I would think that they would want their good basketball players to come over here with a chance of them going pro. It makes the country look better, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
            That is absolutely terrible how they make it so hard for them to leave. I would think that they would want their good basketball players to come over here with a chance of them going pro. It makes the country look better, doesn't it?
            Image means nothing in certain areas of the world. It's all about the Jack. 8)
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

It's the inverse over there:

One in the bush is worth many in the hand!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                It was suppose to happen in February.
                In the fast lane

Comment

I know he signed a Letter of Intent with WSU, but could there be any legs to a rumor I've heard from several sources (I'm not saying they are reliable sources and I DID call it a rumor) that several BCS schools are in on Orupke and he may not want to come to WSU now.

Comment

Letter of Intents are good for only one year. He is free to go anywhere he wants (if he can get out of Nigeria).
                    In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
                      I know he signed a Letter of Intent with WSU, but could there be any legs to a rumor I've heard from several sources (I'm not saying they are reliable sources and I DID call it a rumor) that several BCS schools are in on Orupke and he may not want to come to WSU now.
                      That would figure.

Comment

Yes, but wasn't it just last October or November that he actually signed his letter of intent?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                          Yes, but wasn't it just last October or November that he actually signed his letter of intent?
                          I think it's only binding for that (this) school year.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                            No, I believe it was last spring sometime. Remember, he was supposed to have already been here last November.

Comment

This was reported on Shockernet on May 17, 2007

"from goShockers.com:

Ehimen Orukpe Signs with Men's Basketball
                              Courtesy: Wichita State
                              Release: 05/14/2007

Send this article to a friend Print

WICHITA, Kan. – Seven-foot center Ehimen Orukpe, a native of Lagos, Nigeria, has signed a National Letter-of-Intent to play men’s basketball at Wichita State, Head Coach Gregg Marshall announced today.

“Ehimen is immediately a shot-blocker and a rebounder, and can run and jump, at seven feet,” Marshall said. “The potential for this young man at 18 years old is extraordinary.

“I had sent a representative from my Winthrop staff to Nigeria and when he returned Ehimen was our primary target amongst many targets that would be capable of helping us at Winthrop. Through the transition of coaching staffs, not only at Wichita State, but also at Liberty, where he originally signed then released from his NLI, we began to recruit him to WSU in earnest once that occurred.

“We knew of the talent and size that he possessed. As we continue to develop him offensively, and he gains strength and confidence, and learns to play in our system, he should be an impact player offensively and on the glass.”

Ehimen (A-hee-may) Orukpe (7-0, 220, C, Delta, Nigeria) played for the Ebun Comet, one of the elite amateur club teams in Nigeria.

Orukpe averaged 12.0 ppg and 9.0 rpg a game for Ebun. Orukpe’s coach, Ayo Bakare, coached the 1998 Nigerian National Team.

Orukpe was also recuited by Liberty, Auburn, Western Kentucky, Illinois State and Winthrop.

Orukpe joins Hillsborough (Tampa, Fla.) Community College forward Ejike Hart, a Monrovia, Liberia native; Paris [Texas] Junior College forward Ramon Clemente, a 6-foot-6, 215-pound forward and Queens, N.Y., native; and Three Rivers [Mo.] Community College forward Mantas Griskenas, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound forward from Rokiskis, Lithuania as Wichita State men’s basketball Spring signees."

His signing had to be around this point in time -- but I don't think it really makes that much difference if the LOI was only for this past season.

Comment

Well, why is Ehimen having so much trouble, if Frank Benjamin Eze coming from the same place was able to get out okay, and go to Arlington, Va to High School???

We used to have something now and then about what the DOBO was doing when we had the Aussie, but do not receive any information now since Okon is the DOBO.

Comment

Working...
                                X