No announcement yet.

And that my friends......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except late game fouling for that purpose is widely excepted and everyone does it.

The fouling when up three is much debated and it appears most coaches prefer not to do it.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11
      Originally posted by rjl
      Good grief, guys. KU won that game.

I'm not a KU fan or apologist by any means, but you all read like a bunch of jilted lovers.

KU boned their way through parts of the end of regulation. Driving for a heavily contested layup, down by 2 points, with over 16 seconds on the clock comes to mind.

But anyone who takes away that unbelievable comeback is just looking at it with some seriously slanted glasses.
      It was a good comeback, KU played well, yes.

But I'm not going to take you seriously if you tell me that Memphis blew that game. How many free throws did they miss?
      What does it matter how many they missed or not? That's part of the game. Those who put the ball through the hoop more than their opponent whether at the line or from the field wins the game.

If KU would have lost they would have been discussing how they choked on the layup they forced and missed blockouts on rebounds.

Bottomline is KU made the run and hit tough shots, Memphis didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
        Originally posted by Shoxfan11
        But I'm not going to take you seriously if you tell me that Memphis blew that game. How many free throws did they miss?
        How many 3 point shots did KU miss the whole game?

If Memphis had won, would you say that KU "blew the game" because they couldn't hit one from behind the arc?

Memphis played as Memphis is. They haven't been a good free throw team all season. KU, on the other hand, has been a good 3 point shooting team all season. Knowing that, who would you really say blew the game?
        If a team relies on the three and has an off night, I wouldn't say blowing the game. IMO, blowing the game is missing all of your free throw attempts late in the game when you have your chance to put it away, and slowly letting your opponent back in the game.

Comment

And it was their better FT shooters....
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Regardless of my (or anyone's for that matter) affiliation, I don't really think you can watch that game objectively and feel that anyone but the best team won.

Memphis is supremely talented but I do not think there is a lot of doubt that KU was the better team.

But Memphis should still have won the game. Repeat after me, in that situation the ONLY correct play is to foul. If you prepare, you execute and you win.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Regardless of my, or anyone's for that matter, I don't really think you can watch that game objectively and feel that anyone but the best team won.

Memphis is supremely talented but I do not think there is a lot of doubt that KU was the better team.

But Memphis should still have won the game. Repeat after me, in that situation the ONLY correct play is to foul. If you prepare, you execute and you win.
              I do think KU was the better team, no doubt. I've thought from the start of the season that they were the best team in the country.

Still, I do believe that Memphis should have won that game once they were up by 7 or so that late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                Regardless of my (or anyone's for that matter) affiliation, I don't really think you can watch that game objectively and feel that anyone but the best team won.

I agree that Memphis should have fouled in that circumstance. I believe KU inbounded the ball with a shade over 10 seconds left, took the 3 point shot with about 3.5 seconds left, giving Memphis the ball with about 2 seconds left.

It would of been a 'last play of the game' affair.

That said, let me play devil's advocate and say that KU had only hit 1 or 2 three point shots all game up until that point, and, knowing all you have to do is defend the three, you might think you've got a pretty good chance of stopping them from tying the game by just letting the clock run out without fouling.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

So out of the following who is on the KU sideline next year:

Arthur?
                  Rush?
                  Collins?
                  Chalmers?
                  Self?
                  Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane
                    So out of the following who is on the KU sideline next year:

Arthur?
                    Rush?
                    Collins?
                    Chalmers?
                    Self?

No
                    No
                    Yes
                    Yes
                    Ginormous question mark........but if were betting I'd say yes because he's getting a big raise, either way.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                      Good grief, guys. KU won that game.

I'm not a KU fan or apologist by any means, but you all read like a bunch of jilted lovers.

KU boned their way through parts of the end of regulation. Driving for a heavily contested layup, down by 2 points, with over 16 seconds on the clock comes to mind.

But anyone who takes away that unbelievable comeback is just looking at it with some seriously slanted glasses.
                      Oh no, I agree with you. They earned it. You know, most games like this come down to a play here, and a play there--this was no different. As I said, they did what they had to do and earned it.

I'm just not a KU fan at all, but I sure respect them tonight for sure.

Comment

I said in January that KU was the best team in college basketball and had a great shot to win it all. I picked them to win it all. Them winning it all doesn't surprise me. But Memphis shouldn't have lost that game.

I love ya Doc, but I still don't foul.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Calipari seemed to say in the post game interview that they were trying to foul in the last possession in regulation. At least, I think that's what he was trying to say.

I agree the better team won. Cal now has to eat his words that poor FT shooting wouldn't cost them.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                            I agree that Memphis should have fouled in that circumstance. I believe KU inbounded the ball with a shade over 10 seconds left, took the 3 point shot with about 3.5 seconds left, giving Memphis the ball with about 2 seconds left.

It would of been a 'last play of the game' affair.

That said, let me play devil's advocate and say that KU had only hit 1 or 2 three point shots all game up until that point, and, knowing all you have to do is defend the three, you might think you've got a pretty good chance of stopping them from tying the game by just letting the clock run out without fouling.
                            Your point about the way KU shot and the feel of the game is accurate and makes sense except that all it takes is one lucky shot and you're tied, you've lost all the mo' and you are in deep.

If you chase the dribbler and foul before he shoots or after he passes off (assuming you don't get the horrible carrying call) then in the space of 5 seconds (or likely less) you have to make 1 Ft, get the board (highly unlikely) AND score to tie. Or you go to plan B, make both FTs (speculative) and foul quickly (if you can) and hope the other team misses 1 or 2 (even for a bad team that's highly unlikely to miss both) and then you've got less than 5 seconds (maybe a lot less) to execute an even tougher shot. Also if it's still 3 (very possible) then you are going to get fouled AGAIN by me and have even a more remote chance to score 3 points.

KU needed 1 thing to go right for them to get to OT. In my plan, several things have to go right and more than 1 is out of their hands. Why so many are against this play boggles me.

Comment

Comment

WuDrWu > John Calipari

AND I'm far less arrogant.

Comment

Working...
                                X