And that my friends......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derrick Rose should'nt have eaten so many gummy bears the day before

Stay up-to-date with the latest sports news and scores from NBC Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      Originally posted by rjl
      I agree that Memphis should have fouled in that circumstance. I believe KU inbounded the ball with a shade over 10 seconds left, took the 3 point shot with about 3.5 seconds left, giving Memphis the ball with about 2 seconds left.

It would of been a 'last play of the game' affair.

That said, let me play devil's advocate and say that KU had only hit 1 or 2 three point shots all game up until that point, and, knowing all you have to do is defend the three, you might think you've got a pretty good chance of stopping them from tying the game by just letting the clock run out without fouling.
      Your point about the way KU shot and the feel of the game is accurate and makes sense except that all it takes is one lucky shot and you're tied, you've lost all the mo' and you are in deep.

If you chase the dribbler and foul before he shoots or after he passes off (assuming you don't get the horrible carrying call) then in the space of 5 seconds (or likely less) you have to make 1 Ft, get the board (highly unlikely) AND score to tie. Or you go to plan B, make both FTs (speculative) and foul quickly (if you can) and hope the other team misses 1 or 2 (even for a bad team that's highly unlikely to miss both) and then you've got less than 5 seconds (maybe a lot less) to execute an even tougher shot. Also if it's still 3 (very possible) then you are going to get fouled AGAIN by me and have even a more remote chance to score 3 points.

KU needed 1 thing to go right for them to get to OT. In my plan, several things have to go right and more than 1 is out of their hands. Why so many are against this play boggles me.
      I'm with you, Memphis needs to play the percentages and foul his ass. How do you think Tennessee beat Memphis for their only loss of the season. Tennessee fouled to prevent Memphis to hit the tying three and ended up winning by 4. You would have thought they would have learned from that game huh?

Comment

1. I'll say it, I like how KU plays and I'm glad they won tonight.

2. Words to Calipari: Free Throws

3. I agree with Doc, you foul under 5 seconds and prevent the three. Who says 6 foot guards have trouble getting shots off in D1?
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Yeah, if your 6 foot and built like a fire hydrant. We don't have someone like that, I wish.

Comment

I saw quite a few 6'2 and 6'3 guards getting shots off, 6'6 and 6'7 having trouble getting shots off, and 5'11 Collins really only get one good look to get a shot off...and he made it.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
              Yeah, if your 6 foot and built like a fire hydrant. We don't have someone like that, I wish.
              How did we miss on Josh Young?
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                Except late game fouling for that purpose is widely excepted and everyone does it.

The fouling when up three is much debated and it appears most coaches prefer not to do it.
                I agree. Although it's legal and everything, I think there should be some kinda rule against it ( I know that'll never happen).

When it catches on, you'll never see a long, 3-point buzzer-beater ever again and that's one of the best things about basketball.

I too think it's cheap.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Although I can't stand the majority of KU fans for their arrogance, I'm glad Self won a title. He's a good guy and a great basketball coach. He deserved the win.

I think KU was probably the most complete team in the nation this year and deservingly won the title. Congrats to them.

Now, give me 24 hours of KU coverage and I may take it back.. :roll:
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
                    Originally posted by rjl
                    Good grief, guys. KU won that game.

I'm not a KU fan or apologist by any means, but you all read like a bunch of jilted lovers.

KU boned their way through parts of the end of regulation. Driving for a heavily contested layup, down by 2 points, with over 16 seconds on the clock comes to mind.

But anyone who takes away that unbelievable comeback is just looking at it with some seriously slanted glasses.
                    Oh no, I agree with you. They earned it. You know, most games like this come down to a play here, and a play there--this was no different. As I said, they did what they had to do and earned it.

I'm just not a KU fan at all, but I sure respect them tonight for sure.
                    they bought it.
                    and thats not speculation
                    thats self admited fact.
                    "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                    CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                      Although I can't stand the majority of KU fans for their arrogance, I'm glad Self won a title. He's a good guy and a great basketball coach. He deserved the win.

I think KU was probably the most complete team in the nation this year and deservingly won the title. Congrats to them.

Now, give me 24 hours of KU coverage and I may take it back.. :roll:

After watching the Channel 12 news tonight I am already sick of the KU coverage.

They couldn't even find 10 seconds to mention the Shocker baseball team at all. The Shox only moved up to #5 in a couple of the major polls today. They also play K-state tomorrow in Manhattan.

Oh Well I guess they couldn't find a few seconds of time to cover the Shockers in a 35 minute newscast devoted almost entirely to KU basketball.

I guess I shouldn't expect a Lawrence TV station to give the Shox any coverage, oh wait a minute, this is a WICHITA TV station.

Comment

Chris Douglas-Roberts is quoted in today's Eagle as saying "Calapari told us to foul"

Comment

Calipari made a mistake by not calling a timeout when 10.9 seconds were on the clock to setup with firm instructions to foul, so everyone was on the same page.

Reminded me of Turgeon against FSU with 12 seconds left, remember?

Comment

I was in New Orleans when KU lost the NC by virtue of shooting sub 50% at the free throw line. They deserved to lose, because that is part of the game. Same goes for memphis.
                            Unleash Brett Burley, let all tremble before him!!!

Comment

Two things I had not seen mentioned much:

KU 14-15 FTs, including 8-8 in the last 3:30 of regulation and overtime. UM missed them, and KU made them.

Sherron's steal of the inbound pass and three-pointer to cut it to four. Huge play.

Memphis played an outstanding game, and in many ways KU was lucky to win, but I don't think you win this Tournament without a lot of luck. Amazing. The atmosphere in Lawrence last night is something I'll never forget.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                                Sherron's steal of the inbound pass and three-pointer to cut it to four. Huge play.
                                Play of the tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X