New Associate Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Questioning Chris Jans' abilities is questioning 3G's ability to evaluation and value his assistants. When you are appointed Associate Head Coach the Head Coach is making a definitive statement of your value to him and his program. Perhaps you should ask 3G to put some kind of number on that for you.
    Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
    This. No other questions needed.
    Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
    He saw an NBA PG in a 2-sport kid from Scott City with barely any D1 interest.
    1972Shocker, is that all you got? I stated why I am asking a very fair question, of which most of the posters have answered honestly. It's a question to you that will enable fans like myself to know how to react when we lose Greg or Chris. Was X a huge part of our recruiting success? Can we replace him? Does Beyonce need to explain this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwViQxSJJQ

It's like this: If we lose FVV, should I be worried that might have a shaky offense with the next man up? Your response would be: How dareth thee question the Three G-ith!? An accurate response would be: Nah, we got our highest touted recruit ever to replace him in Landry Shamet. Same thing goes for Greg. Was he a big part of X's recruitment due to x,y,z?

Wushizzle: Now this is why I asked. I had no idea he got Bake. Now I can start to assume he is a good recruiter because he got 2 NBA guys. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      Right now, Kentucky has an assistant, who is earning $700,000. I assume it is the norm for very successful programs.

If Coach Jans can get to the $300,000 - $400,000 salary level, perhaps his roving eye might go away. Of course, it assumes he has a roving eye.
      Originally posted by wheathead View Post
      Using the words "roving eye" with the whole backstory on Jans' history......might there be a better choice of words to describe what you're trying to say?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
        1972Shocker, is that all you got? I stated why I am asking a very fair question, of which most of the posters have answered honestly. It's a question to you that will enable fans like myself to know how to react when we lose Greg or Chris. Was X a huge part of our recruiting success? Can we replace him? Does Beyonce need to explain this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwViQxSJJQ

It's like this: If we lose FVV, should I be worried that might have a shaky offense with the next man up? Your response would be: How dareth thee question the Three G-ith!? An accurate response would be: Nah, we got our highest touted recruit ever to replace him in Landry Shamet. Same thing goes for Greg. Was he a big part of X's recruitment due to x,y,z?

Wushizzle: Now this is why I asked. I had no idea he got Bake. Now I can start to assume he is a good recruiter because he got 2 NBA guys. Thanks!
        No, but other posters have given you numerous reasons and I saw nor reason to repeat what others have told you. However, you continued to push the issue. I thought I would put it in perspective for you in terms of how the guy who evaluates these coaches seems to set.

Comment

Your first post had an impression of skepticism. Then after numerous quality answers, your 2nd one felt a tad confrontational. When I read 1972's response, I was feeling the same way as he was.

My advice: bring it down a notch.

Don't be Raymond:

Comment

mini, you're kinda starting to sound like "mini-me." Just a tad demanding. It was a great original question though!! Group hugs all around!

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              Because he's a damn good coach. He puts together an excellent scouting report. He's a solid, well-connected recruiter. On top of that, he's just a good dude...and I will also add that he outkicked his coverage with his delightful wonderful wife.

As for the Bowling Green incident, Chris had a REALLY bad night and has seemingly learned his lesson from it.

I'm glad he is back as a full assistant to help with next year's national title aspirations.
              "He had a really bad night??" Seriously?? That's your justification for how he behaved? That wasn't the 1st or last night of drinking

Comment

Planning and In-game adjustments, scouting, recruiting. Got it. These are things I expect of all on Gregg Marshall's staff. My followup question would be: From what you guys notice/know/believe, why is Chris Jans any better than Greg H. or Isaac Brown? The answer I am getting from you all is that you appreciate Chris Jans more so than them because Gregg Marshall has made it seem he appreciates/uses him more than others. Fair enough. I was only asking because I didn't know how I should care when these folks leave. For Greg H as an example - he received praise for his working with our guys on dribbling and ball handling. I am disappointed we won't be keeping him for the assumption that his contributions helped turn Fred VanVleet into a guy who could drive left(see Ohio State), to an NBA pro. That to me is a HUGE recruiting tool. None-the-less I really don't know how much stock to put into a assistance 'recruiting' abilities. I mean, it's a mess for sure. But if we supposedly dump X assistant coach altogether, how much would it really impact recruiting when we have Gregg Marshall, NCAA resume, NBA resume, blah blah blah that may take precedence in recruiting. Does Cleanthony Early come here without Chris Jans? Does Landry Shamet some here without Greg H? Anyway, word salad.
                I'm not sure the fact about CJ recruiting Cleanthony Early is true. I believe he was recruited by GH. I could be mistaken

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerstalker23 View Post
                  "He had a really bad night??" Seriously?? That's your justification for how he behaved? That wasn't the 1st or last night of drinking
                  Would you want any of your nights of drinking to be public for everyone to pick a part? Dude screwed up. We all have at one point or another.

Comment

2 posts in and you are on ban hammer watch my friend. Tread lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
                      Would you want any of your nights of drinking to be public for everyone to pick a part? Dude screwed up. We all have at one point or another.
                      Fortunately, most of us were lucky not to have paid quite the price that Coach Jans did for his lapse of judgement. Hopefully, Chris has his life under better control at this point. I doubt 3G would have made this move if he had any concerns about that. Americans in The American like a good redemption story.

Comment

WuShock16 didn't justify anything.

WuDrWu is right. Creating an account to make those two posts makes it look like you have ax to grind. This isn't the place to do that.

Comment

I'm very glad for the friendships we have in our lives. I'm happy that Gregg Marshall knows Chris Jans well enough to know that it was a mistake and that he deserves a second chance. Marshall didn't hesitate at all to work with Jans because he knows him personally. We all need our friends to pick us up when we make mistakes. If some of our posters who are hinting that Chris is a bad man and doesn't deserve a second chance are right, then he will make another mistake and it will bite him again. If they are wrong, and he is a good man, then I'm glad that Marshall is able to see that. I like redemption stories. I cheer for Chris Jans to remake his career and get back to doing what he does best. The ball is in his court and I believe Marshall's friendship with him will be greatly rewarded. That means we fans will be greatly rewarded as well.

Comment

That last line sounds somewhat... confrontational. Makes it sound like you have personal proof of continued drinking to the point of being a problem. Better back that up. Perhaps it was other things that led to the "really bad night" of drinking. Unless you can prove your accusation of continued problem drinking, you should slow down.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              WuShock16 didn't justify anything.

WuDrWu is right. Creating an account to make those two posts makes it look like you have ax to grind. This isn't the place to do that.
                              No axe to grind just a woman in a man's world. Guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this site or disagree with anyone

Comment

No axe to grind just a woman in a man's world. Guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this site or disagree with anyone
                                My mother works in a male-dominated profession, so I have great respect for your viewpoint. I apologize that you thought I was justifying his behavior. He was an idiot for his actions on that night. If it was a repeated incident, I would understand firing him. I thought it was a little strange if it indeed was the first time something like this happened. I don't know.

That said, Chris has probably lost about half a million dollars of income in these last two years because of that mistake. If that isn't sufficient punishment, I don't know what is. We all screw up in our lives. Some of us do so in a higher-profile manner.

To me, that incident is water under the bridge. In my dealings with Chris (before and since), I have no reason to believe it was anything more than a bad night of horrible mistakes.

Moving on...
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X