New Associate Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Associate Head Coach

WICHITA, Kan. – Chris Jans has been promoted from Special Assistant to Associate Head Coach, Wichita State head men’s basketball coach Gregg Marshall announced Wednesday.

The move follows the departure of assistant coach Greg Heiar, who will join Will Wade’s staff at LSU next season.

“We appreciate the six years that Greg Heiar devoted to this program and wish him the best of luck at LSU,” Marshall said. At the same time, we think this will be a seamless transition. In Chris, we are welcoming a guy who has been with us for nine of the 10 years in Wichita. He knows us intimately and has played an integral part in our rise.”

Regarded as one of the nation’s great basketball minds, the 48-year old Jans enters his 25th season at the collegiate level in 2017-18.

Jans was an assistant coach on Marshall's first WSU staff in 2007-08 and the pair worked in tandem for seven seasons, laying the foundation for the most successful stretch of basketball in Shocker history.

Following WSU's 2011 NIT Championship, Jans was elevated to Associate Head Coach and held the title for three seasons, during which WSU won two Missouri Valley Conference titles, played in a Final Four and recorded the first 35-0 start in NCAA history.

After a year as head coach at Bowling Green, Jans put full-time coaching on hold. Over the past two seasons, he’s played a valuable behind-the-scenes role for Marshall and the coaching staff, helping with practice preparation, film breakdown and scouting reports.

Jans took on the formal role of Special Assistant prior to the 2016-17 campaign, during which he helped the Shockers to 31 wins, the MVC’s regular season and tournament titles, and a trip to the NCAA Tournament’s Second Round.

Issued from the Sports Information Dept.

Comment

Hang on. Let me find my shocked face.

Comment

This is sweet. No brainer yes, but still sweet. Jans will have the American members wondering how the hell WSU was able to find each of their on-court weaknesses so fast. The American should be on alert. Conference domination starting year 1.

Comment

Very nice. =D

Comment

Excited to have Jans back in this role, sad to see GH move on. I selfishly hope Jans stays for a few years before his next HC job -- I have no grasp on how forgiving the landscape is to his Bowling Green incident, but I didn't anticipate him even being here this long.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
              Excited to have Jans back in this role, sad to see GH move on. I selfishly hope Jans stays for a few years before his next HC job -- I have no grasp on how forgiving the landscape is to his Bowling Green incident, but I didn't anticipate him even being here this long.
              Any chance this could be a "lifer" kind of deal? Meaning as long as tripleG is here than Jans would stay on as a 2 guy tag team. Pay him more than the average assistant with everyone knowing what he brings to the table in a special way. I don't know Jans or his personality to know if this would even be an attractive situation.

Comment

Legit Question: Shockernet seems to be very high on Chris Jans. Why? I don't pay too much attention to coaches other than Gregg Marshall. So I never really understood why this board value's Chris Jans so highly. All I know is that Chris Jans recruited Cleanthony Early, left for a Head Coaching Gig, slapped a woman's behind, lost his Head coaching Gig, and now works for Gregg Marshall again.

What specifically has Chris Jans done/does that has made him Shockernet's most highly regarded, Gregg Marshall-era, assistant?

Comment

Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
                  Legit Question: Shockernet seems to be very high on Chris Jans. Why? I don't pay too much attention to coaches other than Gregg Marshall. So I never really understood why this board value's Chris Jans so highly. All I know is that Chris Jans recruited Cleanthony Early, left for a Head Coaching Gig, slapped a woman's behind, lost his Head coaching Gig, and now works for Gregg Marshall again.

What specifically has Chris Jans done/does that has made him Shockernet's most highly regarded, Gregg Marshall-era, assistant?
                  Chris Jan's is an excellent game planner and adept at in game adjustments. He's very good at designing plays to take advantage of an opponents weakness.

Comment

He is a scouting (game prep) guru in both reputation and in acknowledgement by HCGM. Coach often comments in post game or on his coach's show the advice and counsel given to him by the assistant coaches during the game, Coach Jans seems to be the most often referenced.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Watch Coach Marshall during a game closely. See who he goes to first when he is looking for input. Easy answer.
                      Professional gas passer.

Comment

Every Captain needs a Sergeant First Class as a right-hand man and confidant to lean on. Jans is the ying to Marshall's yang.

Comment

While the off the court incident was stupid and set his career back, his on the court results at Bowling Green speak for themselves:

2 years before Jans
                          13-19
                          12-20

1 year of Jans
                          21-12

2 years since Jans
                          16-18
                          13-19
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

An assistant coach's number one job is to make the Head Coach's job easier. In any way possible. Not many do that better than Jans.

Comment

You also might want to check what he did at Bowling Green. A team that generally wins 12-16 games a year won 21 games the 1 year CJ was head coach. I guess you could say his coaching was worth an extra 5-9 wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X