No announcement yet.

The Rise & Fall of the Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sad thing is that the MVC has such negative inertia that they are bound for the proverbial @Ricky Del Rio: abyss

I doubt very seriously that Valpo will desire to jump onto a sinking ship but maybe if it is viewed as a transitional jump, why not?

Go Valley!

Go Shocks!!
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
      The sad thing is that the MVC has such negative inertia that they are bound for the proverbial @Ricky Del Rio: abyss

I doubt very seriously that Valpo will desire to jump onto a sinking ship but maybe if it is viewed as a transitional jump, why not?

Go Valley!

Go Shocks!!
      Listening to some, it appears we jumped on a sinking ship. So why not lol.

Obviously I don't feel that way. But still... ;)
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
        Listening to some, it appears we jumped on a sinking ship. So why not lol.

Obviously I don't feel that way. But still... ;)
        Maybe we did. But at least we aren't the only pump any more.

Comment

Agreed, at least now, we have a fighting chance.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

The Valley's downfall started about the time that Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, and Tulsa left the league. 40-some years ago, the Valley started on a one-way trip to where it is now. Those schools were replaced by schools no one had ever heard of who were transitioning from the "College" level to the "University" level. In today's terms, that would be somewhere below moving from FCS to FBS and somewhat above moving from D2 to D1.

That resulted in a lot of "teacher's colleges" and other schools with neither loyal nor well-funded alumni. When the cost of doing business in the NCAA went up, those schools didn't have the resources, donor base, or ticket sales to keep up.

The Illinois schools rely a little too heavily on state dollars to fund their athletic departments. Illinois is broke. The Iowa public schools have been asked to find ways to reduce their dependence on state dollars. Missouri State is looking for ways to cut $750,000 out of their athletic department budget.

In business terms, the Valley replaced a lot of well-capitalized operations with a lot of under-capitalized organizations. When times got tight, those hurting for resources had to scale back their operations.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              The Valley's downfall started about the time that Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, and Tulsa left the league. 40-some years ago, the Valley started on a one-way trip to where it is now. Those schools were replaced by schools no one had ever heard of who were transitioning from the "College" level to the "University" level. In today's terms, that would be somewhere below moving from FCS to FBS and somewhat above moving from D2 to D1.

That resulted in a lot of "teacher's colleges" and other schools with neither loyal nor well-funded alumni. When the cost of doing business in the NCAA went up, those schools didn't have the resources, donor base, or ticket sales to keep up.

The Illinois schools rely a little too heavily on state dollars to fund their athletic departments. Illinois is broke. The Iowa public schools have been asked to find ways to reduce their dependence on state dollars. Missouri State is looking for ways to cut $750,000 out of their athleticdepartment budget.

In business terms, the Valley replaced a lot of well-capitalized operations with a lot of under-capitalized organizations. When times got tight, those hurting for resources have to scale back their operations.
              Houston left in 1960 (or there abouts). Cinci left in the 60s. Memphis was only a member for about 6 years and left in the 70s. Tulsa left in the 90s. How could the Valleys downfall occur at "about [that] time?"
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                Houston left in 1960 (or there abouts). Cinci left in the 60s. Memphis was only a member for about 6 years and left in the 70s. Tulsa left in the 90s. How could the Valleys downfall occur at "about [that] time?"
                If you are so nit-picking to go to specific dates without realizing the point of the original post, then I might have to use the term "obtuse"- or possibly "anal".

My point was that the MVC has been on a collision course with where it is now for a very long time. So, it started 50-some years ago and continued through 20-some years ago.

Mext time I'll try to say "long ago".
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The beauty of all of this is that we are once again associated with Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, and Tulsa, plus all the other fine schools that comprise the AAC.

It's been a long time coming and I could not be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    If you are so nit-picking to go to specific dates without realizing the point of the original post, then I might have to use the term "obtuse"- or possibly "anal".

My point was that the MVC has been on a collision course with where it is now for a very long time. So, it started 50-some years ago and continued through 20-some years ago.

Mext time I'll try to say "long ago".
                    Sorry. I couldn't get past the opening sentence.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                      1) The relaxation of the scheduling mandate
                      2) Inability to pay and keep good coaches
                      3) Conference Realignment - Creighton/Loyola swap
                      4) Wichita State Leaving
                      5) The poor decision made this coming Sunday
                      I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the recent fall of the Valley. (I agree with others, that long term the fall began after the Valley lost Louisville, Memphis and Cincy). The recent fall started when the Valley relaxed the RPI scheduling mandate. The Valley was a regular multiple bid conference after the scheduling mandate was put in place. After it was relaxed, it became a 1 or 2 bid conference. Then schools couldn't keep coaches and couldn't increase their basketball budgets. So the downward spiral just continued. Once Creighton left, the downward spiral became a death spiral in my opinion.

Comment

Comment

Really hope they do some big moves that actually make these statements true.

"continuing investment in athletics," "grow and strengthen our league," "best possible position to compete on a national stage"

I guess we will see.

Comment

This could be the thing that really wakes them up, and schools start to seize the moment before them. I think UNI, ISUr and MSU (if they get rid of Lusk) have the foundation to be consistently good. I feel for the Valley beacause it's pretty hard maintaining high levels of success at this level with advantages P5 and other larger schools have over smaller schools. We've certainly lucked out by landing so many key pieces to make our success possible. It'll be interesting to see who they target.

Comment

Well, that statement is a tad more than a day late and a buck short. So much wrong/untrue.

"The Valley has always been resilient and progressive in the face of changes"? That's in response to "has undergone many changes in membership throughout our 110-year history". Well, maybe the first 60 years. Can't say much about the last 50. Had this really happened, maybe the Valley would not have gone from the top of college basketball to nearly complete irrelevance.

"...we have never been defined by a single institution". Does this mean they were actually trying to get us out of the Valley so the league can be defined by all the remaining schools' similar level of sports programs?

"We now have an opportunity to reaffirm our commitment to competitive excellence" / "best opportunities to grow and strengthen our league". Apparently, all the other schools that have left in the last 50 years didn't give them the opportunity we have.

"We will not waiver in our determination to put our student-athletes and teams in the best possible position to compete on the national stage". I guess I'll give them credit for determination, not so much for actual execution as that best possible position to compete on the national stage is just about nonexistent.

Sorry. I know that maybe I shouldn't be saying these things, but hey Valley, just don't put out this kind of malarkey. Skip all the rhetorical mumbo jumbo, or worse, falsehoods.

Rant over.

Comment

I'm shocked but not shocked Doug Elgin still has a job

Comment

Working...
                                X