• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "BC-BKC--T25-Holiday Hoops-What We Learned" - Q&A Online

AP Basketball Writer John Marshall in Lahaina, Hawaii
    Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 2:44 am

http://www.oaoa.com/news/us_news/art...021d4964c.html

"...Notre Dame, Villanova and Wichita State have serious potential for deep March runs.

...UPPERCLASSMEN CAN PLAY

Notre Dame: The Irish have great senior leadership in preseason Associated Press All-American Bonzie Colson and Matt Farrell, along with multiple scoring options and plenty of grit. The Fighting Irish rallied from 16 down in the Maui final to beat Wichita State in Lahaina, Hawaii, and made every needed big play late.

Colson (25 points, 11 rebounds) can do it all, while Farrell — the tournament's MVP — is the perfect point guard for this group.

Wichita State: The Shockers have veteran talent, though their Maui letdowns — trailing big against California , squandering the lead to the Irish — offer plenty for coach Gregg Marshall to work from in practice. Still, the Shockers are good at both ends, ranking in the top 12 of KenPom's adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency numbers through Saturday's games.

Worth noting: The Shockers nearly won in Maui without Markis McDuffie. Last year's top scorer and rebounder is out until next month with a stress fracture in his foot, so there's room to grow...."

Comment

• "College Basketball Watchability Rankings: 5 games to watch in Week 3" - FanSided Sports

by Nathaniel Reeves
      posted:11/27/17, 6:00pm CST

"Here are the five best college basketball games to watch in week three of the 2017-18 regular season....

1. Seton Hall vs. Texas Tech, Thursday 6:30 p.m. ET

2. Wichita State vs. Baylor, Saturday 2:00 p.m. ET
      Wichita State is being tested heavily before its first run through the AAC and will get a chance to pick up a huge road win at Baylor over the weekend. Behind a combination of depth, experience, and great talent, the Shockers opened the season ranked No. 7 and look like a legitimate threat to win the national championship. Minus arguably their best player in Markis McDuffie, the Shockers got off to a 4-0 start with a win over Marquette before falling 67-66 to Notre Dame in the Maui Invitational final.

Shaq Morris has picked up the slack in McDuffie’s absence with 15.6 points and 5.4 rebounds per contest, well up from his previous career highs. Landry Shamet leads Wichita State with 15.8 points per game, guiding the nation’s No. 5 offense in adjusted efficiency per Ken Pomeroy. Scott Drew appears to have yet another outstanding Baylor team, as the Bears are off to a 5-0 start and rose all the way to No. 16 in the AP Poll. The Bears turned in an impressive showing in last week’s Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City, topping both Wisconsin and Creighton in hard-fought victories.

Jo Acuil presents a difficult matchup down low at 7-0, and is averaging 14 points plus 11.2 rebounds per contest. Baylor’s top four scorers are all underclassmen, including senior guard Manu Lecomte, who is piling up a team-high 19 points per contest.
      Even with the move to an improved conference, picking up a ranked road win could be huge for Wichita State’s seeding come March. The Bears have to travel to Xavier on Tuesday, and winning both contests would prove they are a legitimate Big 12 title contender.

3. Cincinnati vs. Xavier, Saturday 12:00 p.m. ET

4. Miami vs. Minnesota, Wednesday 9:15 p.m. ET

5. Notre Dame vs. Michigan State, Thursday 7:00 p.m. ET..."

Comment

• Glad to see people noticing the effect McDuffie will have on this team. LS is a great player. McDuffie is a natural born motivator and leader. His energy level spreads when he is on the court, we arw better as a whole when he plays. Even in Maui he was the firat to stand and cheer that energy amd excitment carries onto the court.

Comment

• Great article on The Athletic on Landry: "With two (healthy) feet to stand on, Landry Shamet has the tools to be the next great guard at Wichita State."

Link: https://theathletic.com/167242?shared_by=93040

Comment

• Another one from The Athletic - referencing our win over Cal:

"Gregg Marshall doesn't make substitutions. He sends in auxillary forces."

Link: https://theathletic.com/161533?shared_by=93040

Comment

• Originally posted by sdshox View Post
              Great article on The Athletic on Landry: "With two (healthy) feet to stand on, Landry Shamet has the tools to be the next great guard at Wichita State."

Link: https://theathletic.com/167242?shared_by=93040
              He has several opportunities over the next few weeks (and beyond) to show that point guard excellence. Starting with the Irish, the Shockers will be playing teams with smart, good, leaders at the point. Saturday he'll be matched up against another good point in Lecomte.

I think the difference concerning the loss in Hawaii wasn't the zone...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

I think the difference concerning the loss in Hawaii wasn't the zone...
                I don't think it was completely about the zone, but are you trying to insinuate that it was because Landry wasn't as good as the opponent's point guard? Seriously?

"You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably not, although he definitely doesn't seem to be as good at banking in desperation threes. Those banked threes seem to be a bad omen for WSU in close games against quality opponents.

Seriously, though, it probably is fair to say that Landry needed to do sooner what he did at the end in terms of penetrating the zone and creating a shot.

• ShockingButTrue
                  ShockingButTrue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Couldn't agree more. Watching the game in real time, with about 6 to 5 minutes left to play, I wanted to see how Landry would respond, and felt pretty good about the Shocks chances because he's our leader.

Wasn't comparing our point guard to their's at all. My point is if we are a top 10 type team, it will be because our point is indeed the 2nd or 3rd team AA, which has been the consensus of most. If that's true or not we don't know right now. We will however have many opportunities to find out if this is the case, mostly against teams who have outstanding point guards that our point we will matched up head to head against.

Ferrell deserved the MVP trophy that he was awarded.

• Beyond the Streak is now available at all Barnes and Noble stores in Kansas except the one in Wichita, who just told me they weren’t interested in carrying KU basketball books. Lol. Wichita fans can get it at Rally House or https://t.co/EcQzY8lkZb
                Didn't know where to put this.. but looks like our home town Barnes and Noble is refusing to sell a KU basketball book by Jason King. Guess I'll be shopping there more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Didn't know where to put this.. but looks like our home town Barnes and Noble is refusing to sell a KU basketball book by Jason King. Guess I'll be shopping there more!
                  While I love this if true, but I actually like Jason King he may cover KU often but his analysis of Shox is pretty spot on every time as well as the rest of college basketball. No canned information you can tell he follows the Shox and respects the hell out of Marshall. I have no interest in this book but I’m a King fan.
                  If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Rlh04d
                    Rlh04d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Completely agreed. I sent King an email several years back, thanking him for some thoughtful writing on the Shockers at a time when national media couldn't spell our player's names right or recall who was coming back the next season. He responded and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. He's always covered the Shockers with accuracy and treated the program with respect.

• Double post
                  If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Gregg Marshall wrist shake references will never stop making me chuckle.

Comment

• Wichita State, with its unrelenting defense, rebounding and 3-point shooting, has a variety of ways to win that should propel it to a high NCAA seed.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• I know this is old but after watching it again it still gives me goosebumps. Thought I would post it again in case others would like to remember the feeling. Hopefully we will be making a similar video this year!

Comment

• One huge advantage of joining the AAC is now we get our games covered by media in Memphis, Florida, Philly, Houston, Dallas, etc. That reaches a lot more people than Peoria, Normal, Springfield. This isn't so much "media Love", but now we're getting non-con games covered in Houston.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• If you’d have told people five years ago that the Wichita State men’s basketball team would be a national contender in 2017 with a chance to return to the Final…

Comment

Working...
                            X