2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

But have we proven it though. Last year, our best win was Dayton.
    Last year, the players that Arizona, Duke and Kentucky are counting on this year had best wins over high school teams. You can't have it both ways.

Comment

Dayton was 7 seed playing in Indy. We also proved we could take Kentucky down to the last minute 2 days later. We're better this year.
      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 14, 2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

That's my point why I think the bottom half of the article is fair. Now I also totally agree with Cdizzle's point about double standards because their logic is NOT applied (the one just given in the article to WSU) to the big boys who haven't even played anyone of Charleston's stature yet. What makes me excited is we are in the American--we will have all January and February to PROVE it. Just like the big boys always lean on. We're big now also, and we'll prove it if we are in fact legit. (squirrel moment--"Too legit! Too legit to quit!" Sing it with me Hammer!)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

We also proved we could take Kentucky down to the last minute 2 days later.
          While it's true, I always hate to hear people use those types of examples. It reminds me of the childhood retort of "horseshoes and hand grenades".

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

While it's true, I always hate to hear people use those types of examples. It reminds me of the childhood retort of "horseshoes and hand grenades".
            If you hate that type of rationale you must have really hated reading all of the preseason projections, because that is primarily what was cited.

Again, we're better this year than the team that beat a 7 seed in Indy and won 31 games. We now have a legitimate backup point, unlike last year when sometimes Reaves had to play the point because we couldn't rely on Smith to beat a press.

Comment

If you hate that type of rationale you must have really hated reading all of the preseason projections, because that is primarily what was cited.
              Absolutely! Preseason projections while fun, aren't worth the bandwidth they're written on.

Comment

Dayton was 7 seed playing in Indy. We also proved we could take Kentucky down to the last minute 2 days later. We're better this year.
                that's the one thing this team has not yet accomplished, finishing and winning against an elite opponent (i.e. Top 25). The good news is we will get numerous opportunities to do that throughout the regular season (Maui, Baylor, Cinci 2x, maybe one other AAC team).
                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Absolutely! Preseason projections while fun, aren't worth the bandwidth they're written on.
                  I'm missing your point. Almost half of this team's rotation has participated in big wins over The Chickens, Indiana, Arizona, and 7th seeded Dayton (in Indy!) in the month's of March. We're overrated?
                  Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 14, 2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• All of our big wins have "mental asterisks" following them in the minds of writers with a bias toward BCS schools. That will continue until those writers forget that we ever played in the MVC.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'm missing your point. Almost half of this team's rotation has participated in big wins over The Chickens, Indiana, Arizona, and 7th seeded Dayton (in Indy!) in the month's of March. We're overrated?
                      The only rating I truly care about is the one at the end of March.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

They're actually not too bad as a predictor historically:
                          Our intensive research proved last year that the AP preseason poll is a solid predictor of postseason seeding.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post

They're actually not too bad as a predictor historically:
                            KenPom had an article about that one time. Basically, wins and losses, and not necessarily how a team plays (PPP with home court taken into account), color sportswriters' views too often and lead to teams that shouldn't be ranked higher jumping another team after a win for the former and a loss for the latter. I agree, the AP poll isn't a bad predictor. Sometimes the games provide noise that voters should cancel out, but don't.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              All of our big wins have "mental asterisks" following them in the minds of writers with a bias toward BCS schools. That will continue until those writers forget that we ever played in the MVC.
                              ... and it appears this is true in the minds of some Shockernetters too. Tsk tsk.
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 14, 2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Rece Davis on Espm College Gameday, just picked a team from Kansas as his Final Four favorite.
                                Hint: It was a team that wears the "Black and Yellow!!! :poster_wu:

Comment

Working...
                                X