X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1280px-Combination_enema_and_douche_syringe.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
      "College Basketball’s 2017-18 National Player of the Year Will Be One of These 18 Candidates"

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:30AM EST

Landry Shamet, Wichita State

Speaking of underdogs, everybody in the national college basketball media loves Wichita State. EVERYBODY. I’m probably overstepping my bounds here, but I value transparency so I’m going to say it anyway: You can’t get membership in the U.S. Basketball Writers Association without declaring your love for the Shockers first. It’s true. I was kicked out of the USBWA for three years because I wrote “Wichita State is OK, I guess” during the team’s run to the Final Four in 2013. Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart facing off in the 2011 Final Four was every college basketball writer’s wet dream made reality, and we were desperate to recapture that feeling after Stevens left Butler for the Celtics and Smart’s VCU empire fizzled out before he bolted to take the Texas job. Now that head coach Gregg Marshall (a.k.a. Bizarro Tom Crean) is returning basically his entire 31-win roster from last season—led by Shamet, who was a stud in the 2017 tournament—and the Shockers are playing in a power conference (sort of) following their move to the AAC, the Wichita State hype machine is in full force. That’s fantastic news for Shamet’s POY candidacy.
      I thought Billy Packer was retired.
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Read the entire article for context. He's got a tongue-in-cheek style. I thought it was pretty hilarious and appreciated the write up on us and Shamet.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
            Can you say “bitter”?
            Titus has been consistently negative about the Shockers. He also thinks he's smart and funny. Neither of which are based in fact.

Comment

• Comment

• rrshock
                rrshock commented
                Editing a comment
                If I read that correctly, when they were talking about Marshall, they referred to WSU as a blue blood. Did I miss something?

• Coach Marshall voted pre-season coach of the year by CBS Sports.

Comment

• @WstateU voted ‘pre-season fan of the year' by CoxSucks Sports. Sorry, can't post a link right now.

Thank you thank you!!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He's going to be covering the American. I'm torn on this. While it's nice to have someone that knows WSU so well covering it, he's so over the top he loses credibility at times and I was looking forward to a fully clean separation.
                  RH Notes: Dining with Mark Adams and More

Broadcaster Mark Adams is ready take the Shockers on a culinary tour of Cincinnati, his home, when they visit for basketball.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

RH Notes: Dining with Mark Adams and More

http://www.goshockers.com/news/2017/...-and-more.aspx
                    From the cited RH Notes:

On Nov. 16, Temple plays Old Dominion, picked fourth in Conference USA, to open the Charleston Classic. Their second-day opponent could be Indiana State.
                    All Indy State has to do is beat Auburn Thursday, 11/16, 10:30 AM Central Time. Even with the huge mess at Auburn right now, I con't think the Sycs can do that.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• "College Basketball Preview: Can Wichita State Make a Good First Impression in the AAC?" - Number Fire

Jesse Scudilla
                      Nov 9th, 2017

"The American Athletic Conference has a new member this year, and there's a good chance all charter members may dislike this decision. Wichita State basketball has joined the AAC for and will immediately be in the running for the conference crown.

The team with the best chance to keep the Shockers from going straight to the top is last season's runner up, Cincinnati. The Bearcats are returning their top three scorers in Jacob Evans, Kyle Washington, and Gary Clark from a team that went 30-6. They're the only other team ranked in preseason polls, securing the 12th and 13th spot in the AP and Coaches poll, respectively.

Other than those two, the door is wide open for teams to make a run. SMU and UCF both received votes in the AP poll, but SMU has some major losses to overcome. Meanwhile, UCF was an NIT team a year ago that lost their second-best scorer

Team to Beat: Wichita State Shockers
                      The last time we saw Wichita State, they were giving Kentucky all they could handle in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Their 65-62 loss to a team that saw three members become NBA Draft Lottery picks is a great indication of the direction the Shockers are headed.

Wichita State only lost one member from a team that ranked sixth in offense and second in defense, according to our metrics, and is loaded with seniors and experienced underclassmen. The most important underclassmen of this group is sophomore guard Landry Shamet, who we may be seeing later in this article.

What truly separates the Shockers is their ability to shoot and defend the three. They ranked eighth in the country in three-point shooting percentage offense, knocking down 40.3 percent of shots from beyond the arc. Defensively, they held opponents to a 31.1% success rate from three, good for 19th nationally.

While Cincinnati should prove to be on Wichita State's level throughout the season, it is the Shockers' conference to lose....

Team on the Rise: UCF Knights...

Team on the Decline: SMU Mustangs...

Player to Watch: Landry Shamet
                      All things are pointing to a successful first season in the AAC for Wichita State. That comes in big part to their returning players, with potentially the most important one being sophomore guard Landry Shamet. While he's battling back from a broken foot that was suffered over the offseason, it is believed he should miss very little time, if any.

Shamet shot 43.9 percent from three while averaging 11.4 points and 3.3 assists per game in the 2016-17 season. His 132.9 offensive rating, ninth in the NCAA, would suggest those numbers will improve as he should be in line for an uptick in minutes over the 26.7 per game he logged last year.

In the Shockers' second-round matchup against Kentucky, Shamet went toe-to-toe with De'Aaron Fox and Malik Monk and scored the most points (20) of any player on either team.

Shamet will be instrumental in the success of the Shockers during their inaugural season in the AAC."

Comment

• "Times columnist Tom Jones offers up his Two Cents on the 2017-18 college basketball season." - Tampa Bay Times

Tom Jones, Times sports columnist
                        Published: November 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM

"My picks for the nation’s top five teams:
                        1. Duke
                        2. Michigan State.
                        3. Wichita State. The Shockers went 31-5 last season and return their top eight scorers. Experienced and well-coached by the underappreciated Gregg Marshall.
                        4. Cincinnati. I’m a little more bullish on the Bearcats than most. They won 30 games last season and return three starters from that team. They also add Cane Broome, a transfer from Sacred Heart where he was the nation’s eighth-leading scorer in 2015-16.
                        5. Kentucky....

Three things that popped into my head:
                        1. Once again, no team will go undefeated, but because of its schedule, Wichita State will make the best run at it...."

Comment

• Man what if we pulled an undefeated season and capped it with a Title.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                            "Times columnist Tom Jones offers up his Two Cents on the 2017-18 college basketball season." - Tampa Bay Times

Tom Jones, Times sports columnist
                            Published: November 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM

"My picks for the nation’s top five teams:
                            1. Duke
                            2. Michigan State.
                            3. Wichita State. The Shockers went 31-5 last season and return their top eight scorers. Experienced and well-coached by the underappreciated Gregg Marshall.
                            4. Cincinnati. I’m a little more bullish on the Bearcats than most. They won 30 games last season and return three starters from that team. They also add Cane Broome, a transfer from Sacred Heart where he was the nation’s eighth-leading scorer in 2015-16.
                            5. Kentucky....

Three things that popped into my head:
                            1. Once again, no team will go undefeated, but because of its schedule, Wichita State will make the best run at it...."
                            Wait, we will make a run at an undefeated season "because of" our schedule? We're going to play 25% of the big 12 before the Jayhawks play any of them. And taking on 3 teams projected to win their smaller conference.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                              "College Basketball’s 2017-18 National Player of the Year Will Be One of These 18 Candidates"

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:30AM EST

Landry Shamet, Wichita State

Speaking of underdogs, everybody in the national college basketball media loves Wichita State. EVERYBODY. I’m probably overstepping my bounds here, but I value transparency so I’m going to say it anyway: You can’t get membership in the U.S. Basketball Writers Association without declaring your love for the Shockers first. It’s true. I was kicked out of the USBWA for three years because I wrote “Wichita State is OK, I guess” during the team’s run to the Final Four in 2013. Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart facing off in the 2011 Final Four was every college basketball writer’s wet dream made reality, and we were desperate to recapture that feeling after Stevens left Butler for the Celtics and Smart’s VCU empire fizzled out before he bolted to take the Texas job. Now that head coach Gregg Marshall (a.k.a. Bizarro Tom Crean) is returning basically his entire 31-win roster from last season—led by Shamet, who was a stud in the 2017 tournament—and the Shockers are playing in a power conference (sort of) following their move to the AAC, the Wichita State hype machine is in full force. That’s fantastic news for Shamet’s POY candidacy.
                              Mark Titus wrote this. He is a graduate of the Ohio State University. Appears likely he still hasn't been able to accept the whooping his team received in the Elite 8. Ohio State fan's arrogance rival some fans I know that are much more local.

Comment

Working...
                              X