2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    If Willis can be productive, even with scouting reports, it would be the equivalent of adding a 6'9" guy. Willis pretty much disappeared once it was known he could only go one direction and didn't play D.
    oh, ye of little faith.

Comment

• DW's production went down when he shifted to the 4 which coincided with Shaq's return to the starting lineup. He wasn't able to occupy the lane on his own against the slower "5's" found in the MVC. I think Paul's article is 99% correct, but I believe there is more to the story than just a better "scout."

I knew the DW scout after one preseason game - the opposition knew it as well when he had his five game run.

Comment

• DWill was way too sped up always. If the game slows down for him this year, which I believe it will, he'll show vast improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          Adding Wichita State helps AAC, but league needs UConn to improve

The author did make an error, stating WSU hasn't been past the round of 32 since our Final Four run.
          Called him on this by email.

"That has been an issue for the league in its first four years of existence. Since 2014, when UConn rolled to a national title and Louisville advanced to the regional semifinals, the AAC has yet to have a team advance beyond the Round of 32. In fact, although Marshall is one of just five D-1 coaches to reach the Round of 32 each of the last five seasons, the Shockers haven’t won a game past that level since their Final Four run."

His point was that since that time, the AAC and WSU have not WON a game past the round of 32. Of course, since that time, the AAC has not won a round of 32 game to even get to the S16. For us, his wording implied by association that neither had WSU. He did reply saying that he could have worded it better.
          Last edited by ShockTalk; July 12, 2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• One of those years we did win 2 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              Called him on this by email.

"That has been an issue for the league in its first four years of existence. Since 2014, when UConn rolled to a national title and Louisville advanced to the regional semifinals, the AAC has yet to have a team advance beyond the Round of 32. In fact, although Marshall is one of just five D-1 coaches to reach the Round of 32 each of the last five seasons, the Shockers haven’t won a game past that level since their Final Four run."

His point was that since that time, the AAC and WSU have not WON a game past the round of 32. Of course, since that time, the AAC has not won a round of 32 game to even get to the S16. For us, his wording implied by association that neither had WSU. He did reply saying that he could have worded it better.
              That's not what he was trying to say. He's just covering himself. Doesn't much matter though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                That's not what he was trying to say. He's just covering himself. Doesn't much matter though.
                Agreed.

He had updated his article once before, but not since he received my email.

Comment

• "Wichita State Basketball: Landry Shamet poised for a breakout season" - FanSided

by Lukas Harkins
                  07/15/17

Wichita State basketball will start the 2017-18 season in the top-10, thanks in large part to star sophomore point guard Landry Shamet.

"One of the best recruits Gregg Marshall has ever snagged for Wichita State, Landry Shamet has made a major difference in the program after just one full season playing with the team. Part of the Shockers’ 2015 recruiting class, which also included Markis McDuffie, Shamet was a three-star recruit according to 247Sports. After redshirting due to injury during the 2015-16 season, Shamet emerged onto the scene as the starting point guard this past season...."

Comment

• Shamet set himself up with a tough act to follow.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                      "Wichita State Basketball: Landry Shamet poised for a breakout season" - FanSided

by Lukas Harkins
                      07/15/17

Wichita State basketball will start the 2017-18 season in the top-10, thanks in large part to star sophomore point guard Landry Shamet.

"One of the best recruits Gregg Marshall has ever snagged for Wichita State, Landry Shamet has made a major difference in the program after just one full season playing with the team. Part of the Shockers’ 2015 recruiting class, which also included Markis McDuffie, Shamet was a three-star recruit according to 247Sports. After redshirting due to injury during the 2015-16 season, Shamet emerged onto the scene as the starting point guard this past season...."
                      i don't think van vleet or baker ever got reviews like that while still in college, even up to their senior years.

once again.. he should have been mvc mvp last year... which is probably good enough to get him aac mvp this year.. you know, like the experts are picking. sorry, oh-so-smart shocker realists.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                        i don't think van vleet or baker ever got reviews like that while still in college, even up to their senior years.

once again.. he should have been mvc mvp last year... which is probably good enough to get him aac mvp this year.. you know, like the experts are picking. sorry, oh-so-smart shocker realists.
                        The voters had to give it to Lee. Finally, a player stayed at IlSU for 4 years! That's quite an accomplishment.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I haven't seen this posted anywhere else (https://heatcheckcbb.com/2017/07/14/...iting-classes/) (and if it has been, I apologize), but now that we're in the heat of the recruiting season, I found this article to be of great interest to those of us here on SN. Of course, we all recognize the fact that 3G has a way to get the most out of the players he brings to WSU. Nonetheless, nice national recognition.

From the article:

The bottom 15 recruiting teams are a mixed bag. Two of the fifteen have reached a Final Four over the past five seasons (Wisconsin and Wichita State), and the other thirteen schools have combined to win one tournament game. This should shed more positive light on what Bo Ryan/Greg Gard and Gregg Marshall have accomplished rather than negativity among the underperforming teams. Creighton, despite having just one tournament victory since 2003, has turned in consistently solid teams as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                            Creighton, despite having just one tournament victory since 2003
                            :barbershop_quartet_
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Gary Parrish gives a shoutout. http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...biggest-story/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                                Creighton, despite having just one tournament victory since 2003
                                To be fair to Creighton (ew, did I just say that?), they have three tournament victories since 2003. One victory each for 2012, 2013, and 2014. Now that I feel truly disgusted with myself, I'll rectify this by saying that as a 3 seed in 2014, they got pounded into the sand by 30 points by 6 seed Baylor in the 2nd round during their best season ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X