No announcement yet.

2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was thinking about this classification of programs based on the conference they are in. If Gonzaga is a mid-major because of the Conference it is in then what defines a low-major. For example. Hawaii is show as the best mid-major in Hawaii but was 8-8 in the 29th ranked conference (by RPI out of 32) and Mount St. Mary's the best mid-major program in Maryland plays in the 30th ranked Northeast Conference.

So does that mean only the SWAC (#31) and the MEAC (#32) are the only low-major conferences? Or is Low-Major another term waiting on someone to attempt to define it so that programs can be properly branded and classified?

Comment

• Didn't know where to put this, but thought you'all might like to see it
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
        It's awfully fun to see WSU missing from a list full of strong Mountain West teams, A10 teams, WCC teams and MVC teams that I've come to respect over the years.

There may be debate about whether or not the American is a "power" conference or what not, but it doesn't seem to get mentioned on the same level as the very good mid-major conferences behind them either. The American tends to be largely included as a power conference with an asterisk rather than a mid-major leader. It may be unclear where to classify it, but it is not actively getting classified with the mid-majors in most of the national stuff I see.

I guess you would call it a major metropolitan conference that is simply not part of the P5. It is a unique distinction that only seems to include the American and the Big East at this point. Pretty fun.
        David, can't remember ever hearing or reading anything referring to Cincinnati, UCon, Memphis, Houston, SMU,Tulsa, SMU, or any of the other of our new conference schools as a Mid-Major?

Or are we already at the point that all schools not in one of the P-5 Conferences are technically, M&M's, Sugar Coated, but not really one of the boys?

Comment

• Interview with 3G on ESPN Radio yesterday.

"Insanely rich and insanely successful"

Comment

• Link to the podcast:

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
              Interview with 3G on ESPN Radio yesterday.

"Insanely rich and insanely successful"
              Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
              Another 5-Star interview... thanks!
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                Another 5-Star interview... thanks!
                Excellent!!! Had no idea that G3's son assisted him in coaching.
                SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

• I love the fact that he represents Wichita so well and only recruits players that will do the same. We're so damn lucky to have him!

Comment

• I've always thought there was a chance that 3G would retire as the WSU head coach. After listening to this interview, I feel like that is a more likely scenario than any other. They love it here. Wichita is a perfect place for him and his family, and he and his family are a perfect fit for Wichita.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Coach is just da bomb! Great interview as usual. Best in the biz!
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• There are bad coaches, there are good coaches, there are excellent coaches, and then there is standing right up there at the top level, is Mr. Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                          There are bad coaches, there are good coaches, there are excellent coaches, and then there is standing right up there at the top level, is Mr. Marshall.
                          he's a lock for the hall of fame pretty much already (winthrop? are you kidding me?). he develops such a good attitude on his players/teams, even while being hard-nosed (the anti, positive, bobby knight). too good to be true, it seems.. but, oh, it's true.

great interview, again, i would have never found if not for this board.

Comment

• Not a HoF lock yet. He's got a NCoY, a F4, and an undefeated regular season. It's going to take more than that.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Not a HoF lock yet. He's got a NCoY, a F4, and an undefeated regular season. It's going to take more than that.
                              Agreed. He is a helluva coach, but needs to get that 'Ship or a few more F4s to get the votes.

Comment

• I feel very good about his chances for the College Basketball Hall of Fame but do agree that he needs his One Shining Moment to go to Springfield, MA (as opposed to Springpatch, MO).
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X