2017-2018 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
    It is easy to forget, as we root for Cincy, that they are competing with WSU on the S-Curve. As long as they are ahead of WSU, as they are currently, I'm rooting against them.

I've given up rooting that WSU will pass folks like Villanova, Virginia , or Purdue, but I'm rooting against pretty much anyone currently ranked between 10-30. These teams are the true competition for the Shox.

(Yes, I know Cincy is #8 in the polls, but most bracketologists don't have them quite that high, and also, WSU has a unique opportunity to catch them since they have 2-3 games head to head.)
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
      It is easy to forget, as we root for Cincy, that they are competing with WSU on the S-Curve. As long as they are ahead of WSU, as they are currently, I'm rooting against them.

I've given up rooting that WSU will pass folks like Villanova, Virginia , or Purdue, but I'm rooting against pretty much anyone currently ranked between 10-30. These teams are the true competition for the Shox.

(Yes, I know Cincy is #8 in the polls, but most bracketologists don't have them quite that high, and also, WSU has a unique opportunity to catch them since they have 2-3 games head to head.)
      Something I looked up today.

Cincy's defense is good, don't get me wrong, but from what I have watched. They have benefited from the other team missing LOTS of open looks. Maybe they weren't the looks they were hoping for, but they still were open.

In Cincy's first 8 conference games, only 1 of those games have come against a team that currently ranks in the top half of the AAC in AdjO (SMU). They obviously won that game, but they now have 7 of 10 against teams in the top half (WSU x2, Houston x2, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane) of AdjO. Will be interesting to see how their defense holds up. So far, the only 2 teams they have played that have anywhere near the AdjO of WSU (15) were Xavier (9) and Florida (19). Both of those were losses.

Comment

• Cdizzle
        Cdizzle commented
        Editing a comment
        Their schedule definitely gets tougher. So does ours. I think it's a mistake to play the "missed a bunch of shots" card. Teams have played that card after losses to WSU for 7+ years. Sometimes it's a coincidence, and teams really do just miss shots. But not when it's every game, as is the case with Cincy this year. They are for real.

They have also applied their defense to 2 teams twice already, Temple and Memphis, likely helping to destroy their AdjO numbers.

• Stickboy46
        Stickboy46 commented
        Editing a comment
        Like i said, their defense is good. But take the Memphis game for example. That was a very close game up until the last few minutes. If Memphis doesn't shoot 50% from the line on nearly 30 attempts ... it's a different game. Can't credit the defense for that. 3-17 from 3 didn't help and a lot were wide open.

• Cdizzle
        Cdizzle commented
        Editing a comment
        You can choose not to credit the defense. I will choose to credit the defense. Getting crushed by a defense all game becomes mental. Your few open shots become extremely important, and often rushed. Your free throws come on tired legs after you haven't seen the ball go through the hoop in 4 minutes. It adds up. If it didn't, WSU wouldn't have won 80%+ of its games the last 8 years, and I don't think that was on luck either.

• "Early February Projection of the Field of 68" - Bleacher Report

BY KERRY MILLER
      FEBRUARY 5, 2018

The Purdue Boilermakers have battled through several close calls recently, but they remain cemented on the No. 1 line in our latest projection of the 2018 men's NCAA tournament...

On the Horizon

SMU Mustangs: SMU has a couple of great wins over Arizona and Wichita State, but the bad losses to Tulsa, Tulane, Temple and Northern Iowa are the overpowering smell coming from this resume.

Last 5 In

2nd-to-Last: Temple Owls
      13-10, RPI: 42, KP: 88, SOS: 2

Remember, the bar for sneaking into the field has been lowered. If you find that hard to believe, just wait until we get to the First 5 Out slide.

Temple has several dreadful losses: George Washington, La Salle, Memphis and Tulane. Temple also has three extremely impressive wins: neutral-court games against Clemson and Auburn and a home game against Wichita State. Yes, 10 losses is a lot, but the Owls played one of the toughest schedules in the country, and Vanderbilt got in as a No. 9 seed with 15 losses in the same scenario last year. A 6-2 record the rest of the way should be more than enough for Temple.

5th-to-Last: Houston Cougars
      17-5, RPI: 41, KP: 35, SOS: 104

Houston missed out on a huge opportunity against Cincinnati Wednesday, but the Cougars did win a road game against UCF. Compared to every other team that was within a few spots of the previous edition's cut line, that's one heck of a good week. They still play SMU twice, host Cincinnati and play at Temple, so there are a few opportunities remaining to improve this resume.

​​​​​​​Midwest Region: Dallas

No. 3 Cincinnati vs. No. 14 UC Santa Barbara

No. 6 Florida State vs. No. 11 Arkansas

South Region: Charlotte, North Carolina

No. 1 Virginia vs. No. 16 UNC-Asheville

No. 8 Wichita State vs. No. 9 Texas A&M

Comment

• I would NOT want that. Hope we go west or Dallas

Comment

• Im hopeful we can get back to the 6 seed line. Gonna have to beat Cincy, obviously.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• ESPN Bracketology

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology

Posted: 02/015/18

SOUTH REGION
            #5 - Wichita State vs #12 - Louisiana in Boise, Idaho

#3 - Cincinnati vs #14 - Belmont in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

EAST REGION
            #11 Houston vs #6 - Seton Hall in Dallas, Texas

FIRST FOUR OUT
            SMU

Comment

• CBS Bracketology

By Jerry Palm
              UPDATED: Feb 05, 6:20am

CBS Sports is helping you get ready for March Madness with the latest news, picks, and predictions for the 2024 NCAA Basketball Tournament Bracket.

WEST REGION
              #8 - Wichita State vs #9 - New Mexico State in Detroit, Michigan

MIDWEST REGION
              #3 - Cincinnati vs #14 - Montana in Dallas, Texas

EAST REGION
              #11 Houston vs #6 - Michigan in Nashville, Tennessee

LAST TEAM IN
              #11 SMU Play-in game in Dayton, Ohio

Comment

• Boise and Detroit. Gross.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Facepalm knows you're reading -- that's why he called it as he did.

• NBC Sports Bracketology

UPDATED: February 5, 2018

FIRST FOUR PAIRINGS – Dayton (First Round)
                11) Houston vs. 11) Kansas State | Midwest Region

EAST REGION
                3) CINCINNATI vs. 14) VERMONT in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

SOUTH REGION
                8) Wichita State vs. 9) TCU in Detroit, Michigan

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  Boise and Detroit. Gross.
                  You can't get much worse than that.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Brad Evans, college sports expert at a Yahoo Sports, was interviewed on Omaha sports radio today and commented about the Shockers. Said if tournament was today they are 6-9 seed and probably 6-7. Said he thought the bones of the resume’ are good and the brand-name could help them with seeding. Said it would help them if committee uses metrics other than RPI such as Sagarin, Kenpom, etc.

Comment

• I may be bucking for a promotion to Captain obvious, but I will rest easier once we take our first game against Cincy.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I just want to win tonight. How we play tonight may go a long ways about what this team is made of.

• The 2018 Bracket Matrix

Bracketmatrix 12/1 1/1 1/15 1/20 1/30 2/7
                      Seed 1 1 2 1
                      Seed 2 10 8 19 12
                      Seed 3 10 8 26 24 2
                      Seed 4 2 13 18 20 8 4
                      Seed 5 1 10 12 14 32 10
                      Seed 6 4 2 12 42 20
                      Seed 7 1 1 1 5 13 26
                      Seed 8 1 6 21
                      Seed 9 2 1 1 12
                      Seed 10 5
                      Seed 11 1 2
                      Not Rated 1
                      Totals 25 46 80 90 105 101
                      Seed 1 4% 3% 1%
                      Seed 2 40% 17% 24% 13%
                      Seed 3 40% 17% 33% 27% 2%
                      Seed 4 8% 28% 23% 22% 8% 4%
                      Seed 5 4% 22% 15% 16% 30% 10%
                      Seed 6 9% 3% 13% 40% 20%
                      Seed 7 4% 2% 1% 6% 12% 26%
                      Seed 8 1% 6% 21%
                      Seed 9 4% 1% 1% 12%
                      Seed 10 5%
                      Seed 11 1% 2%
                      Not Rated 1%
                      Totals 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
                      Overall 2 Seed 4-Seed 3-Seed 4-Seed 6-Seed 7-seed
                      Average 2.84 4.15 3.36 4.12 5.80 7.18

Comment

• "NCAA tournament bracketology" - USA TODAY

By Shelby Mast and Scott Gleeson Sports
                        Published 9:50 a.m. ET Feb. 7, 2018 | Updated 11:39 a.m. ET

#4 Cincinnati vs #13 Vermont in San Diego, California

#8 Wichita State vs. #9 TCU in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

First Four Out
                        Houston

Comment

• shocks02
                          shocks02 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cincinnati as a 4? Yep, this bracket is invalid.

• "NCAA Tournament bracket projection" - Sporting News

By Ryan Fagan
                        Posted: 02/07/18, Updated at 3:34 p.m. ET

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...v1nxnp91dbyb8j

No. 3 seeds
                        Cincinnati (22-2): Pom/RPI/KPI: 4/11/9. vs. Q1: 4-2. vs. Q2: 8-0. vs. Q3/4: 10–0

No. 5 seeds
                        Oklahoma (16-7): Pom/RPI/KPI: 26/19/14. vs. Q1: 5-6. vs. Q2: 3-1. vs. Q3/4: 8-0

No. 7 seeds
                        Wichita State (18-5): Pom/RPI/KPI: 19/24/25. vs. Q1: 1-3. vs. Q2: 9-2. vs. Q3/4: 8-0 - Wichita State has a nice collection of good, not great, wins, but nothing resembling a bad loss. Still, if the Shockers want to avoid that 8/9 game, they should avoid getting swept by Cincinnati (both games are still ahead).

No. 10 seeds
                        Houston (17-5): Pom/RPI/KPI: 35/37/45. vs. Q1: 3-2. vs. Q2: 2-2. vs. Q3/4: 12-1

No. 12 seeds
                        New Mexico State (WAC)

No. 14 seeds
                        Loyola-Chicago (Missouri Valley), South Dakota State (Summit)

No. 15 seeds
                        Florida Gulf Coast (Atlantic Sun), Charleston (Colonial)

First four out
                        SMU (15-8): Pom/RPI/KPI: 49/71/59. vs. Q1: 2-3. vs. Q2: 3-4. vs. Q3/4: 10-1

On Life Support (SN's pretty generous bubble (in alphabetical order):
                        Baylor (14-10): Pom/RPI/KPI: 40/72/78. vs. Q1: 1-7. vs. Q2: 2-3. vs. Q3/4: 10-0
                        Marquette (13-10): Pom/RPI/KPI: 50/61/55. vs. Q1: 2-8. vs. Q2: 2-2. vs. Q3/4: 9-0
                        Notre Dame (13-10): Pom/RPI/KPI: 42/76/73. vs. Q1: 2-5. vs. Q2: 2-3. vs. Q3/4: 9-2
                        Oklahoma State (14-10): Pom/RPI/KPI: 69/105/56. vs. Q1: 3-8. vs. Q2: 1-2. vs. Q3/4: 10-0
                        Temple (13-10): Pom/RPI/KPI: 86/34/38. vs. Q1: 4-6. vs. Q2: 3-0. vs. Q3/4: 6-4

Comment

Working...
                        X