2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#5!!!!! Pre-Season???? Holy!!!!

I knew returning everybody would defintely give us some creed...and I'm sure almost pulling off the upset against an NBA team back in March gave us huge respect...and I know who coaches this team...but daaaanng...this AAC thing is FUN!!!!

If that preseason ranking holds true come AP Poll preseason time...will this be the highest preseason ranking we EVER had ???
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

I knew returning everybody would defintely give us some creed...and I'm sure almost pulling off the upset against an NBA team back in March gave us huge respect...and I know who coaches this team...but daaaanng...this AAC thing is FUN!!!!

If that preseason ranking holds true come AP Poll preseason time...will this be the highest preseason ranking we EVER had ???
      2015 we were 10 in preseason AP

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

1964-65 we were #3
        1963-64 we were #5
        1981-82 we we're #6

Rankings above were for the preseason AP Poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
          1964-65 we were #3
          1963-64 we were #5
          1981-82 we we're #6

And, for what it's worth, Sports Illustrated actually picked the Bookend Boys to win the national championship and featured WSU on the cover -- I still have the magazine around here somewhere. Damn jinx.

Meanwhile, dizzle is right -- what's The Flagship doing up ahead of WSU? Of course, the Rug's Thugs specialize in preseason acclaim and rankinganyway, whereas Marshall's teams focus on actual tournament performance (as Perry Ellis realized only too late).

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
            "College basketball rankings: Late recruiting lifts Duke to No. 6 in Top 25 (and one)" - CBS Sports

by Gary Parrish
            May 15, 2017, 11:00am

"The CBS Sports Preseason Top 25 (and one) will continue to change over time -- specifically when underclassmen who have declared for the NBA Draft without agents finalize decisions and impactful prospects still uncommitted announce their college destinations. But, for now, Kansas, Arizona, Michigan State, North Carolina and Wichita State represent the top five....

1. Kansas
            2. Arizona
            3. Michigan State
            4. North Carolina
            5. WSU

Notable players definitely gone: Daishon Smith
            Notable players also expected to leave: None
            Notable players expected to return: Markis McDuffie, Landry Shamet, Darral Willis, Shaquille Morris, Conner Frankamp, Zach Brown, Rashard Kelly, Rauno Nurger, Austin Reaves
            Notable newcomers: Asbjorn Midtgaard, Samajae Jones

Why the Shockers are here: Almost every relevant player from a Wichita State team that won 31 games and finished eighth at KenPom should be back -- most notably Markis McDuffie and Landry Shamet. So Wichita State will be the favorite in the American Athletic Conference in its first year in the American Athletic Conference.

6. Duke
            7. Louisville
            8. Kentucky
            9. Villanova
            10. USC..."
            After I read ours, I started skimming through really fast and had to remind myself to slow down and look for teams in our conference 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
              After I read ours, I started skimming through really fast and had to remind myself to slow down and look for teams in our conference ��
              I had to re-click the link to do the same, haha.

Comment

i wonder where the shockers would have been ranked had they still been in the mvc. 18th?

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                  i wonder where the shockers would have been ranked had they still been in the mvc. 18th?
                  25 to 30th
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

If I'm remembering correctly, we were Top 10 in most pre-season polls before we even switched conferences.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Officially, we are still in the MVC. We aren't in the AAC until July 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        If I'm remembering correctly, we were Top 10 in most pre-season polls before we even switched conferences.
                        We were 6 in the first way too early rankings as MVC members. Conference must not have played as role in making the rankings.

Comment

Conference doesn't affect our rankings much ... Only NCAA seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                            1964-65 we were #3
                            1963-64 we were #5
                            1981-82 we we're #6

Ahhh yes! Thanks for the refresher! Should've been able to remember that. And I call myself a Shocker fan... (rolling eyes).
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Has a team ever had a league's highest pre-season ranking in their first year as a conference? Can't say I recall.
                              Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

That ranking has got to help reassure the American that, yes adding WSU was a good decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X