No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The love is diminishing quickly. The best thing we have going for us is that everyone around us is also losing.

Comment

• Weekly results from the USA TODAY Sports NCAA Men’s College Basketball coaches poll, conducted weekly using a panel of head coaches at Division I schools.

PUBLISHED ON: 02-05-2018

#6 - Cincinnati

#21 - Wichita State

Comment

• "College hoops Power Rankings: Who are the best of the rest?" - ESPN

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
        Posted: 02/05/18, 7:49am cst

Virginia, Villanova and Purdue have been college basketball's best this season, so that leaves us with one important question: Who is fourth? Don't give up on Xavier or Kansas, even after the Jayhawks' home loss to Oklahoma State.

9. Cincinnati Bearcats
        Record: 21-2
        Last week: 9

So much for a competitive title race in the American Athletic Conference this season. Cincinnati has a three-game lead on Wichita State and Houston, and neither of those teams looks all that likely to close the gap. How high can the Bearcats rise, seeding-wise? Worth noting: They still have road games left at SMU, Houston and Wichita State.

OUT: Wichita State

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
          Just win...the rankings will take care of themselves. If we win out, we can still at least tie for the conference title. That's the most important thing at this point.
          My math isn’t working out here.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Last week (week 13), I thought there would be about 8 Top 25 AP teams lose and there ended up being 11 losses.

This week (week 14), I think there were be about 17 losses as lots of Top 25 match-ups and quite a few teams on the road.

Same thing in two weeks (week 15), I think there were be about 17 losses.

The Shockers will have a great chance to move up in the AP Rankings over the next two weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              The love is diminishing quickly. The best thing we have going for us is that everyone around us is also losing.
              No kidding. There are multiple teams in the top 10 with 4 or 5 loses.

The top 25 is littered with teams that have 5 and 6 losses. We're alright right where we're at.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

My math isn’t working out here.
                Oops---my mistake!!!! I had heard that Cincy had been beat by UCONN this weekend (sorry, that wasn't true)...it was even on the tv at the gym when I first read that. I need to stop reading when I'm about ready to die on the elliptical machine. But, I'll modify a bit...if we win out, we're still going to tie...because I think Cincy will lose one other game to someone other than to us (if we win them both.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                  Calling my shot: #22 on Monday
                  ShockerFever ... Where’s UT Arlington these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post

ShockerFever ... Where’s UT Arlington these days?
                    Sitting next to your mom.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                      Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I expect nothing less from you Fever. You never disappoint.

• Just wondering how KU stayed in the top 10?

Comment

Editing a comment
                      Would you rank St Mary’s (#11) or Gonzaga (#12) in front of them? I wouldn’t.

• im4wsu
                      im4wsu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      2 comments

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue
                      #1405.1
                      Yeah, but it was O-STATE!! That's a good loss!
                      But not a good win on the road for us!

Editing a comment
                      WSU went from AP #6 to #3 after the OSU win.
                      It’s a tier 2 win on WSU’s official NCAA team sheet.

Who is saying it isn’t a good road win for WSU?
                      im4wsu Are you just here to make up unjustified complaints?

• Serious questions-- what's the best case scenario for the Shockers? What if we beat Cinci three times? Twice?

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                      Shocktoberfest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Totally depends on what happens to the teams in front of us of course. I'm just hoping we can finish strong, get one or two good wins and sneak back up into the top 10.

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                    Serious questions-- what's the best case scenario for the Shockers? What if we beat Cinci three times? Twice?
                    From an RPI standpoint, lose 2 more (say both to Cincy), we're around 18 RPI.

Add a loss @SMU, about 22 RPI.

Win out regular season, around 8 RPI.

Win the first AAC tourney game, lose the second (say to Temple), about 12.

Win the AAC tourney, made a 6 RPI, but that depends a whole lot on the others around that group.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                      Serious questions-- what's the best case scenario for the Shockers? What if we beat Cinci three times? Twice?
                      Last July I predicted 5 losses would = 2 seed.
                      https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...12#post1036912

The SOS hasn't worked out quite as nicely as I thought it would pre-season, so here's a February update.

Losses - Seed
                      5 - 3
                      6 - 4
                      7 - 5
                      8 - 7
                      9 - 9
                      10 - 10
                      11 - 12
                      12 - NIT

Absolute best case, 5 losses, 3 wins over Cincy, teams like Auburn, Clemson, and Tennessee stop playing over their heads, and WSU slips in as a 2 seed.

Comment

• jdshock
                        jdshock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's so easy to just criticize everyone else when they're wrong when you never post predictions. C'mon!

• May be late to the party here, but ESPN just told me WSU is one with lots of work to do. Got lumped in with Houston and Temple. Yuck.

Comment

• Horn28Clem30
                        Horn28Clem30 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The only saving grace for Wichita right now is the name recognition. If it was blind resumes, they would like uncomfortably similiar.

Editing a comment
                        No. Just no. Also, no.

• "Bilas: The best 68 teams in college basketball and the search for one great one" - ESPN

By Jay Bilas
                      Posted: 02/07/18, 8:00am cst

The Bilastrator has spent months looking. He has found very good teams. He has found quite a few good teams. He has found teams loaded with talent. But a truly great team? Not yet.

8. Cincinnati Bearcats
                      The Bilastrator is on record: Cincinnati leads the nation in playing hard. The Bearcats are better on the offensive end, but that is not their calling card. The identity of this team is defense and rebounding. The improved flow on offense is a nice bonus. One of the more underappreciated players in college ball is Gary Clark. He is a Wooden Award candidate, but too few voters have him on the radar, GPS or whatever is used today. Clark is among the nation's best and most efficient players, a stud.

13. Wichita State Shockers
                      Fans and media in Kansas are not used to losses in January and February. Well, guess what? The American is a better league than the Missouri Valley Conference. The athletes are bigger, stronger and faster, and the teams in the middle and bottom of the league are way better. Wichita State is very good and still capable of reaching the Elite Eight. Remember, Wichita State doesn't have a bad loss.

44. SMU Mustangs
                      The Ponies have lost five of eight heading into Thursday's game at Houston. That stretch, though, includes a win over Wichita State. SMU has Shake Milton, who is terrific, but a pretty average defense

46. Houston Cougars
                      The Cougars are great on the offensive glass and play their tails off for Kelvin Sampson. But Houston does not get to the foul line enough -- and it puts opponents on the stripe too much. Houston is good, but the margin for error is thin. The best wins are against Arkansas and Wichita State.

Comment

Working...
                      X