No announcement yet.

Failed Wichita State Logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is way way way off topic, but I was in school when the 1980 Wu was the prototype. I figured out how the geometry of the head worked and could build them out of paper mache for homecoming displays, floats etc. Mind you, this was before cell phones. I am at work the year after I graduate and a buddy finds my work number, calls and asks if I could make one for a sorority. I ask him what does he think it's worth. He reminds me, in light of his companionship desires, it was invaluable. So I fabricated a Wu Shock head several hundred miles away from Wichita, meet him 200 hundred miles down the road, so my buddy would not be lonely. He owes me to this day. I loved the pinched cheek with the wheat stock. No kinder, gentler WU for me. I loved the pissed WU.
    Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        It's a good one... and I love your idea.

I think that will always be my favorite WU.

Comment

I have one.

Comment

It's a good one... and I love your idea.

My favorite as well. Was thinking of a FVV "Let them hang" version! LOL!
            Last edited by shockrah; March 25, 2017, 01:23 AM.
            Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
              I have one.
              But is there any Ezra left in it?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                But is there any Ezra left in it?
                No...shocker, huh!

Comment

I was on the staff of The Sunflower back in 2002 when the school unveiled that awful attempt at a new logo. We eviscerated it in the opinion section. Corbett Smith covered it from a reporting angle. I was one of the writers who wrote opinion columns and our editorials on it. Some of the pushback coverage was picked up by the Eagle. We were a pretty proud staff when the athletic department announced they were pulling the plug.

Comment

I probably should let sleeping dogs lie but... I was on the focus group that was assembled to review the new logo design that Jim Schaus's athletic department was advocating. Schaus described it as follows; a "kid friendly mascot" and a "third color". He told me that they weren't getting rid of WuShock but they intended to diminish it in their marketing.

I said at the time that I thought this an extremely bad idea because we have very few traditions and none of them as unique as "WU". I went on to share with the focus group that I would be strongly against the changes that the athletic department was contemplating. Later that evening I was at fundraising event at the Orpheum Theatre and shared my thoughts with Dr. Beggs and Shirley. I'm of the opinion that Mrs. Beggs was instrumental in ultimately killing the new mascot ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      nm
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Wonder if the administration plans to revise or update any of the logos like CU did when they joined the new little big east.

Comment

Yup I do too.
                          I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                            Wonder if the administration plans to revise or update any of the logos like CU did when they joined the new little big east.

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/creig...560d29b87.html
                            It's easy to rebrand when you don't have a brand. (also when you just steal logos from pro baseball teams in canada.)

Otherwise, it's expensive.

Comment

Creighton had to do something with their branding designs because they were looking really tired and low rent. They could've done it 10-15 years earlier, and it would have been money well-spent even then.

On the other hand, WSU just had all of our stuff revised something like five years ago, and it's wearing fine. The WSU AD also had a proprietary typeface developed in the past few months that you now see used on their media stuff, and I'm sure will make it to all sports unis in the near future. I think we're good in that regard.

Comment

Does anyone remember "shadow," the solid black smaller shock that followed WU around, repeating his actions? It's been a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X