History of Bracket Matrix Misses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Bracket Matrix Misses

Here are the biggest misses by the bracket matrix over the last 5 years. Aside from a bonkers seed for Oregon in 2013, you can basically count on the matrix doing no worse than +/- 2 seed lines, and for the vast majority of teams, it is much closer than that. Remember, these are the WORST SINGLE MISS for each year.

Year - Miss - Projected Seed - Actual Seed - Team
    2016 - 1.9 - 8.9 - 7 - Oregon State
    2015 - 2.2 - 8.8 - 11 -Dayton
    2014 - 1.7 - 5.3 - 7 - UConn
    2013 - 4.3 - 7.7 - 12 -Oregon
    2012 - 1.7 - 6.3 - 8 - Creighton

Also, for reference:
    2016 - 1.1 - 9.9 - 11 -WSU
    2015 - 1.5 - 5.5 - 7 - WSU
    2014 -0.02-1.02 - 1 - WSU
    2013 - 1.0 -10.0 - 9 -WSU
    2012 - 0.2 - 5.2 - 5 - WSU

WSU is currently at 8.54 in this year's matrix. I'd say the odds are high that WSU gets an 8 or 9. 7 or 10 are possible. Anything else would be completely shocking... pun intended.

Oh, and I feel obliged to add... Jerry, you're an idiot.

Up from 8.54 yesterday to 8.46 today now that the last few stragglers updated their brackets to include the win Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
      Up from 8.54 yesterday to 8.46 today now that the last few stragglers updated their brackets to include the win Sunday.
      I wouldn't be surprised to see this continue to tick to a improved seed line over the coming days.
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

So in only one instance did we get a better seed than Bracket Matrix. If history continues it looks like we can expect to subtract 1 from whatever their final number is.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
          So in only one instance did we get a better seed than Bracket Matrix. If history continues it looks like we can expect to subtract 1 from whatever their final number is.
          You make it sound worse than it is.

1 better
          2 equal
          2 worse

Comment

You make it sound worse than it is.

1 better
            2 equal
            2 worse
            Sort of. One of the 'equals' was a gimme on which people didn't really have a choice.

Comment

Where is Illinois State at?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Where is Illinois State at?
                Normal.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Bahahaha. It would be even better if they decline the NIT bid.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Looks like Georgia Tech stepped out of their way tonight. Maybe they still have a chance.

Comment

I'd say the odds are high that WSU gets an 8 or 9. 7 or 10 are possible. Anything else would be completely shocking... pun intended.

I'd say the seed will start out as an 8/9 and will be adjusted up to a 7, or down to a 10 depending on who else is in that same seeding vicinity due to having to avoid rematches and other things like that. I'm rooting for a 7 or a 10 personally.

Comment

WSU is currently at 8.54 in this year's matrix. I'd say the odds are high that WSU gets an 8 or 9. 7 or 10 are possible. Anything else would be completely shocking... pun intended.

Are these based off of the final bracket matrix? If so I seem to remember there being a lot of volatility in the last week before selection Sunday. So I agree with your analysis but I think we move some more over the next couple of days

Comment

WSU is at 8.41 TODAY. They will move only as much as teams around them jump them or fall behind them due to conference tourneys. In all likelihood, the final matrix on Sunday will have WSU as an 8.xx.

Comment

If that is the case then it would appear that the RPI has a strong correlation to the seeding and other metrics not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock View Post
                              If that is the case then it would appear that the RPI has a strong correlation to the seeding and other metrics not so much.
                              Not always.

Gonzaga is RPI #10, KenPom #1, BracketMatrix of 1.14 (#4)
                              Cincinnati is RPI #13, KenPom #20, BracketMatrix of 5.05 (#18)
                              Illinois State is RPI #31, KenPom #49, Bracketmatrix of "first team out" (#48)
                              UNC-Wilmington is RPI #25, KenPom #59, Bracketmatrix of 11.85 (#49)

Comment

Working...
                              X