2017 Maui Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
    I'm not sure how they seeded this thing. If ND is the one, would that make Mich the 4 and either VCU or Marquette the 3? I don't really know. I don't really care either, I'm just glad we don't have to play Chaminade. Unless they're really good. And we get to beat them at their place for the championship. :)
    If ND is 1 and WSU 2, VCU and Marquette have to be 3and 6. Mich. and LSU have to be 4 and 5. If not, the organizers just flipped coins for seeds.

Comment

• Alternatively, seeding came out pretty much exactly as you'd expect if we were the 1 seed except that Chaminade and Cal were flipped in the 7/8 slots. Perhaps we did not want 2 non-Division-I opponents this year and specifically requested the change (we have made specific requests to avoid certain opponent(s) in the opener of prior MTEs).

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        If ND is 1 and WSU 2, VCU and Marquette have to be 3and 6. Mich. and LSU have to be 4 and 5. If not, the organizers just flipped coins for seeds.
        That's what I meant, but I don't see either of those VCU/Marq being better than Mich. I admittedly haven't researched either of them very much though. I also don't see LSU being better than either of them, but again haven't done adequate research to say that with any conviction.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Outside of us and Notre Dame this might be the weakest Maui field I've seen lately.
          Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

• 2017 Field's average 2017 RPI: 60.7
            2016 Field's average 2016 RPI: 71.9
            2015 Field's average 2015 RPI: 72.3
            2014 Field's average 2014 RPI: 48.6
            2013 Field's average 2013 RPI: 52.6
            2012 Field's average 2012 RPI: 88.3
            2011 Field's average 2011 RPI: 26.0
            2010 Field's average 2010 RPI: 60.3

2017 Field's average 2017 kenPom: 52.7
            2016 Field's average 2016 kenPom: 48.7
            2015 Field's average 2015 kenPom: 58.1
            2014 Field's average 2014 kenPom: 42.4
            2013 Field's average 2013 kenPom: 37.9
            2012 Field's average 2012 kenPom: 77.9
            2011 Field's average 2011 kenPom: 38.6
            2010 Field's average 2010 kenPom: 50.3

8-year year-prior RPI: 60.1
            8-year year-prior kenPom: 50.8

Don't let the names on the jersey's fool you. And don't let the fact that WSU is the Top 5 team they got instead of Duke or UNC skew your view of the field. Based on using year-prior data, this appears to be in line, if not slightly better than the previous 2 tournaments, and pretty much average for the last 8 years. The 2017 field only has one clunker, and it is the only team over 70 in the year-prior RPI. The past 2 fields each had 3 such teams.
            Last edited by Cdizzle; July 20, 2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
              Outside of us and Notre Dame this might be the weakest Maui field I've seen lately.
              I've heard a few people say this...and if you're saying that, you're undervaluing the Shockers. This field has 2 teams who could be considered elite this year and a couple other good teams...same as any other year.
              Last edited by martymoose; July 20, 2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                I've heard a few people say this...and if you're saying that, you're undervaluing the Shockers. This field has 2 teams who could be considered elite this year and a couple other good teams...same as any other year.
                I love the Shocks just as much as anybody, but I think the PK80 Invitational muddied the rest of the pickings for tournaments.

Comment

I love the Shocks just as much as anybody, but I think the PK80 Invitational muddied the rest of the pickings for tournaments.
                  Perhaps it did. Irrespective of that, Maui put together a quality field 100% in line with the past 8+ years of their tournament (I quit going back, cause if people don't want to believe if with that much data, they ain't gonna believe it).

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    2017 Field's average 2017 RPI: 60.7

Don't let the names on the jersey's fool you. And don't let the fact that WSU is the Top 5 team they got instead of Duke or UNC skew your view of the field. Based on using year-prior data, this appears to be in line, if not slightly better than the previous 2 tournaments, and pretty much average for the last 8 years. The 2017 field only has one clunker, and it is the only team over 70 in the year-prior RPI. The past 2 fields each had 3 such teams.
                    Were those rankings made the year before or year of the tournament?

I can't imagine LSU and Cal being good this year, in fact both might be in the basement of their respective leagues.

VCU will be okay, but not the VCU of the past few years.

Comment

In terms of the PK80...hopefully you'll be pulling for your new conference-mate...

UCONN
                      Oregon

Michigan St
                      Georgetown

Arkansas
                      Oklahoma

UNC
                      Portland St

Comment

• "Basketball Trip to Hawaii Will Be No Day at the Beach" - The Bear Insider

By David Bush, Staff Writer
                        Posted Jul 18, 201

"...Cal is one of eight teams in the Maui Invitational (officially the Maui Jim Maui Invitational) and the field is loaded. The Bears open against Wichita State, which returns everyone who matters from a team that went 31-5 and scared Kentucky in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Shockers will start the season ranked in the top ten and figure to be heavy favorites over the Bears.

"Bring it on," is Jones' attitude. He feels this is as a good way as any to give his team the experience it needs to compete in the Pac-12.

"It's an unbelievable way to get their feet wet, just to see what we're working with," Jones said in a conference call Tuesday. "It is an unbelievable atmosphere. It will pump our guys up They should be ready to go.

"We have a young team, but we've got some veteran guys, Kingsley Okoroh, Marcus Lee, Don Coleman...and our freshmen I think they are going to be ready...."

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                          In terms of the PK80...hopefully you'll be pulling for your new conference-mate...

UCONN
                          Oregon

Michigan St
                          Georgetown

Arkansas
                          Oklahoma

UNC
                          Portland St

Absolutely.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

For this year's field of the PK80, the average RPI rank is 89.75 and the average KenPom rank is 69.5.
                            This compares to the Maui with RPI 60.7 and KenPom of 52.7.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                              2017 Field's average 2017 RPI: 60.7

@Cdizzle:, thanks for sharing your password with me so I could post under your user name.

Comment

Were those rankings made the year before or year of the tournament?

I can't imagine LSU and Cal being good this year, in fact both might be in the basement of their respective leagues.

VCU will be okay, but not the VCU of the past few years.
                                All the rankings are from the year before the tournament. So, when fans were having discussions in July about how strong each field was, these are the numbers they had. Comparing the year-of numbers could be interesting. But not until January or February.

Comment

Working...
                                X