No announcement yet.

2017 Maui Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to see Chaminade on the other side of the bracket. You'll be getting 3 good, resume-building games. Now go win them all.

Comment

• Isn't it a 4:30 game not noon? (5:30 EST) That would make it a little easier for most to catch...

Comment

• Jay Bilas likes us to win it.

Q: Who do you see as the favorite heading into the Tournament?
        A: "Wichita State is the favorite. They have just about all of their players returning. They were within a bucket last year of doing something extraordinary again. I think Wichita State has the chance to reach the Final Four again. That's how good they are. They are going into a new league, so I think there is going to be a lot of excitement around the program. What will not be new is their level of intensity and level of winning that they've had over the years. I can see this being another 30-win, Elite Eight or further type of team.
        http://mauiinvitational.com/news/2017/7/17/general-bilas-breakdown-espn-analyst-previews-the-2017-tournament.aspx

Comment

• This looks like we received a first round game vs. Cal by request since Savannah State will seemingly not count as a D-1 opponent for RPI purposes this coming year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
            This looks like we received a first round game vs. Cal by request since Savannah State will seemingly not count as a D-1 opponent for RPI purposes this coming year.
            It's also possible Marshall requested not to be in the same bracket as LSU. I like the draw. Could be better if Michigan and ND weren't in the same bracket, but we do get all the RPI-goodness of no Chaminade in our side.

Comment

• Looks like the mainland game is the only open slot we need to finalize the OOC portion of the schedule.

Comment

• Would relish an Irish revenge

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  It's also possible Marshall requested not to be in the same bracket as LSU. I like the draw. Could be better if Michigan and ND weren't in the same bracket, but we do get all the RPI-goodness of no Chaminade in our side.
                  Highly doubt that...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                    I'm ok with this. We don't have to play Chaminade, but should still beat Cal handily. Then we get the winner of VCU/Marquette, which I'm surprised because I figured if we were the "2 seed" we would have Michigan on our side of the bracket. But I like our chances of making the championship game and playing either Notre Dame or Michigan.
                    This is what makes me think they set up the brackets the way they did. Wichita St and Notre Dame are the two projected to be great teams in this tournament so I would expect them to want that matchup for the championship game.

Now let's hope Notre Dame can hold up their end of the bargain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                      This is what makes me think they set up the brackets the way they did. Wichita St and Notre Dame are the two projected to be great teams in this tournament so I would expect them to want that matchup for the championship game.

Now let's hope Notre Dame can hold up their end of the bargain.
                      I don't really give a crap who losing team in the championship game is, so long as the winner is WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        I don't really give a crap who losing team in the championship game is, so long as the winner is WSU.
                        I hear ya, but beating Notre Dame in the championship would be the RPI boost we're seeking by playing in this tourney.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                          I hear ya, but beating Notre Dame in the championship would be the RPI boost we're seeking by playing in this tourney.
                          I'm all for resume wins. But there are 2 things that make singular games less relevant. First, 2 games in an MTE is not the entire extent of WSU's schedule this year. And second, if you go 34-0, it don't matter who you beat, you're a 1 seed.

Comment

• notre dame gets to play chaminade. doesn't that make them, the irish, the #1 seed?

that's just why i totally wanted to see wichita state vs chaminade- it would have meant that the shockers were the top seed - how could you have wanted to see different- rpi after chaminade be damned. 'little bit of a dis to the shox.. underseeded again.. but the rest is up to them, so we'll see what happens.
                            Last edited by another shocker; July 18, 2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• "Maui Invitational 2017 bracket: Wichita State, Notre Dame headline tournament" - CBS Sports

by Kyle Boone
                              07/18/17, 5:30pm

"...On paper, Wichita State should be considered the favorite to win the bracket. The Shockers return Conner Frankamp, Shaquille Morris, Zach Brown and Rashard Kelly for their senior seasons, and will likely enter the 2017 season as a top-five team in national polls. Gregg Marshall has enjoyed his greatest successes with veteran-heavy rosters, and his projected starting five next season will feature four seniors as well as an up-and-coming sophomore in Landry Shamet.

Notre Dame also projects to be a major player in the tournament, and if it's one thing we've learned, it's not to pencil Mike Brey's team as an underdog. Coming off a 26-win season, the Fighting Irish also boast an experienced starting five -- headlined by senior point guard Matt Farrell and potential national player of the year candidate Bonzie Colson, who likely would have been selected in the NBA Draft had he declared early.

Of the two projected top-20 teams, the Shockers have the more clear path to the title game, with Michigan providing a good road block in the way of the Irish and their hopes to march to the championship...."

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                                notre dame gets to play chaminade. doesn't that make them, the irish, the #1 seed?

that's just why i totally wanted to see wichita state vs chaminade- it would have meant that the shockers were the top seed - how could you have wanted to see different- rpi after chaminade be damned. 'little bit of a dis to the shox.. underseeded again.. but the rest is up to them, so we'll see what happens.
                                I'm not sure how they seeded this thing. If ND is the one, would that make Mich the 4 and either VCU or Marquette the 3? I don't really know. I don't really care either, I'm just glad we don't have to play Chaminade. Unless they're really good. And we get to beat them at their place for the championship. :)
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X