Ideas to improve schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
    Maybe next year we should just go all Beach St. You know...go on the road to Carolina (Duke included), UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, etc. Perhaps lose 'em all and then roll the Valley. What would that accomplish? IDK...maybe a record of 23-7 or something like that. Maybe an rpi of 30 something???
    During our undefeated season, Gary Parrish was talking on his show about potential remedies for our scheduling problem. He came up with an idea called the "Kick Your Ass Tour". Basically take a few checks to come into someone's (P5) building and ruin their party for them. I thought it was hilarious. Wouldn't necessarily work in practice since we need so many home games for the $$$, but I thought it was hilarious. Maybe limit it to one a year?

But Marshall wouldn't ever even go for that so it's a moot point.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      I'd like half of your earnings by suggesting that we move to the Big 12 Conference as well.
      That is a great idea. Drop KU from the league. The Big 12 members would appreciate having a new league champion in basketball, and our football program would be an upgrade over the Jayhawks'.

Comment

Our scheduling has improved remarkably. Adding OU and OSU to our schedule for two years is a major improvement. Unfortunately, there will always be some schools who look good, but then unfortunately tank or don't reach expectations. We can not control this unless we ever get to the point where we are regularly play the so called Blue Bloods, who even in a bad year are still ranked in the top 15 or 20.

The problem this year is that we had a major (and I don't care what some choose to call it) rebuilding or reloading, after the graduation of Fred and Ron. We were a young team with players without a lot or any Div 1 experience playing against three top 10 to top 50 teams (at the time) very early in the season. But, with these games under our belt, it is obvious that we are getting better with every game)

If our early OOC schedule is basically as good next year, then we definitely will have a much better chance of winning those early games with a much more seasoned and mature team.

The fact is that as long as we are in the Valley, the vast and perhaps the only ranked teams in the top 50, and perhaps the top 100, we will play, take place early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          We didn't know Tulsa, Long Beach and St. Louis would be terrible when those contracts were signed. You roll the dice and hope for the best with some of these teams.
          True, but we did know it when picking our buy games for this year.

There have been too many games this year with the team regressed. I am not sure how to fix it, but this scheduled combined with Bradley/Drake have been making us worse not better.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            Maybe next year we should just go all Beach St. You know...go on the road to Carolina (Duke included), UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, etc. Perhaps lose 'em all and then roll the Valley. What would that accomplish? IDK...maybe a record of 23-7 or something like that. Maybe an rpi of 30 something???

I would never sell my Shockers short...so I would say we could/would probably split that ooc record and wind up at 26-4. Then we get a 1 or 2 seed??? IDK...just wondering out loud after seeing us play a conference member who brought our rpi down 20 freakin' points even after WINNING the damn game. Shiesh...
            Beginning to think forfeiting the game at Drake might be better than actually playing. RPI might go down ten spots instead of 20.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar48 View Post
              , and our football program would be an upgrade over the Jayhawks'.

Nah, we don't have anyone that can run the ball like Myhaulick.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Nah, we don't have anyone that can run the ball like Myhaulick.

The Dallas Cowboys do

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. They saw that Mikhayliuk had clearly rushed for a full ten yards, earning the first down and on the spot, they decided that a first down was worth 2 points. They waved the basket but awarded KU with the win based on the yardage.

That would have been less egregious than missing a travel that bad so I can only assume it's what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                    Our scheduling has improved remarkably. Adding OU and OSU to our schedule for two years is a major improvement. Unfortunately, there will always be some schools who look good, but then unfortunately tank or don't reach expectations. We can not control this unless we ever get to the point where we are regularly play the so called Blue Bloods, who even in a bad year are still ranked in the top 15 or 20.

The problem this year is that we had a major (and I don't care what some choose to call it) rebuilding or reloading, after the graduation of Fred and Ron. We were a young team with players without a lot or any Div 1 experience playing against three top 10 to top 50 teams (at the time) very early in the season. But, with these games under our belt, it is obvious that we are getting better with every game)

If our early OOC schedule is basically as good next year, then we definitely will have a much better chance of winning those early games with a much more seasoned and mature team.

The fact is that as long as we are in the Valley, the vast and perhaps the only ranked teams in the top 50, and perhaps the top 100, we will play, take place early in the season.
                    The idea of 2year contracts or agreements is good, though the staffs may have to work harder (than 4 year ones). Playing some Blue Bloods and a good tournament also are good. The main thing is replacing teams like South Carolina, Maryland Eastern Shore, ... with teams like Nevada (from Mountain West), St. Mary (from West Coast), or other good teams from some good conferences.
                    To avoid teams in their down years, of course the staffs need to do research, especially important factors like coaching changes and recruits.
                    Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Originally posted by T.VuOP View Post
                      To avoid teams in their down years, of course the staffs need to do research, especially important factors like coaching changes and recruits.
                      I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you realize Okon and co. obsess over this stuff ad nauseum when building the schedule, right? HCGM has talked about what an incredibly painstaking process it is many times before.

When he first got here, coach readily admits he had to ramp up his talents for scheduling in a hurry since Winthrop generally didn't design its slate with at-large goals in mind. I think he's come a long, long way from the OOC teams we played during the CBI and 2 NIT seasons.

Sometimes the best laid plans just go wrong, as they did season. It's not just as easy as saying "We should grab home and homes with X, Y and Z, with only the finest of buy games from projected winners of these particular low-level conferences, etc. Thus, let it be done!" We'd all love to see more elite H-H's set up - so would Okon, so would HCGM, so would Boatright, and they all work to try to make those happen. It's tough stuff.

Comment

Just accept the offer to join the AAC.

Comment

I wonder if the people that want to pay $300K for buy games are the same people that hate the Ashley Furniture Shootout.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                            I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you realize Okon and co. obsess over this stuff ad nauseum when building the schedule, right? HCGM has talked about what an incredibly painstaking process it is many times before.

When he first got here, coach readily admits he had to ramp up his talents for scheduling in a hurry since Winthrop generally didn't design its slate with at-large goals in mind. I think he's come a long, long way from the OOC teams we played during the CBI and 2 NIT seasons.

Sometimes the best laid plans just go wrong, as they did season. It's not just as easy as saying "We should grab home and homes with X, Y and Z, with only the finest of buy games from projected winners of these particular low-level conferences, etc. Thus, let it be done!" We'd all love to see more elite H-H's set up - so would Okon, so would HCGM, so would Boatright, and they all work to try to make those happen. It's tough stuff.
                            From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Comment

Agreed! As I recall, most, if not everyone, was lauding this schedule before the start of the season. My question is, what would the rankings look like had the Shocks won all of the three they lost or even two of the three?

Comment

I suggest home and homes with:

Duke
                                North Carolina
                                UCLA
                                Indiana
                                Kentucky

Buy games (renewed annually) with:

Dayton
                                Davidson
                                Valparaiso
                                Princeton

And one of the following MTEs on a rotating basis:

Maui Invitational
                                Battle 4 Atlantis
                                2K Classic
                                Advocare Invitational

Where do I pick up my check? Thank you very much that was easy.
                                Now if we could only get those schools to agree with that. I'd send you a check.

Comment

Working...
                                X