Ideas to improve schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas to improve schedule

As many have noticed that this year schedule is terrible. Any idea how it may be improved? I know it had been discussed many times in the past. However, with advances in communication, can we as fans somehow contribute?
    I'm thinking of using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., to discuss live with other fanbases. Too bad I'm not familiar with those communication methods.
    Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

M-ES was always a head scratcher, but this year's disappointing SOS is mostly attributable to bad luck. Lots of teams are performing worse than expected - LBSU, OU, SDSU, etc., and very few are exceeding expectations.

HCGM and staff have come a long way in their scheduling abilities and the OOC schedule the last few years has been quite strong - this season is the outlier when you look at the last 5 years.

I am sure the staff is trying their best to load for bear next season given the senior and junior heavy nature of the roster for 2017-18.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      M-ES was always a head scratcher, but this year's disappointing SOS is mostly attributable to bad luck. Lots of teams are performing worse than expected - LBSU, OU, SDSU, etc., and very few are exceeding expectations.

HCGM and staff have come a long way in their scheduling abilities and the OOC schedule the last few years has been quite strong - this season is the outlier when you look at the last 5 years.

I am sure the staff is trying their best to load for bear next season given the senior and junior heavy nature of the roster for 2017-18.
      This ... Coming into the season, this looked like one of our stronger schedules. Nearly every team on our schedule is under-performing in comparison to last year.

Comment

This year's non-con schedule took two hits. One was not that preventable. The other maybe was.

1) We have already discussed in other threads and here that much of what look to be good didn't pan out because so many of the "better quality" teams had down years: LBSU, Tulsa (still time to turn out OK), CSU (new add to this group), St. Louis, OU (not a killer, but down), and SD St.
        LSU was weak and losing to an unusually down Mich St didn't help our cause.

2) Don't know if it was just not avoidable, but too many cupcakes: SC St, EMSU, and late in the non-con Southern Nazarene. These teams were even worse than the normal cupcakes. Two "easy" wins are good for working out kinks, but I'm not sure what was gained by these 3. There should be a lot of better choices than from the MEAC, SWAC, and Northeast conferences.
        I think most here would rather a quality H/H and have one less gimme each year and those games have to be available, if the right dates agree.

If we were to have a let down in schedule, this is probably the year to have it with so many young and/or new faces, plus no seniors.

I'll also add that we have had pretty good schedules the previous 3 years with no more than 2 expected cupcakes each year.

If you think our non-con schedule was weak this year, start with 2012-13, work back through Marshall's early years, then compare them to this year.

Comment

Louisville, Michigan St., OU, O-State, Colorado St. at their gym, after they had just beat the Buffs at their gym, is a weak OOC schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            Louisville, Michigan St., OU, O-State, Colorado St. at their gym, after they had just beat the Buffs at their gym, is a weak OOC schedule?
            I think the whole point to this renewed discussion is HOME OOC.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

A new conference would help. There's the obvious way, but also I think it would help us schedule non con.

Comment

Blackmail
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

We didn't know Tulsa, Long Beach and St. Louis would be terrible when those contracts were signed. You roll the dice and hope for the best with some of these teams.

Comment

We could match the head coach salary for each of the bottom half of the MVC and tell them to double the talent. Then OOC would matter less and we hit two birds with one stone.

Comment

Some mentioned that SLU and Tulsa tanked this year. Of course it's because of the coaching changes. We know how important the coach is to a program. That's why Houston may be a better choice than those two. How about East Tennessee (with new coach Steve Forbes)?
                      Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

I suggest home and homes with:

Duke
                        North Carolina
                        UCLA
                        Indiana
                        Kentucky

Buy games (renewed annually) with:

Dayton
                        Davidson
                        Valparaiso
                        Princeton

And one of the following MTEs on a rotating basis:

Maui Invitational
                        Battle 4 Atlantis
                        2K Classic
                        Advocare Invitational

Where do I pick up my check? Thank you very much that was easy.

Comment

Duke
                          North Carolina
                          UCLA
                          Indiana
                          Kentucky

Buy games (renewed annually) with:

Dayton
                          Davidson
                          Valparaiso
                          Princeton

And one of the following MTEs on a rotating basis:

Maui Invitational
                          Battle 4 Atlantis
                          2K Classic
                          Advocare Invitational

I'd like half of your earnings by suggesting that we move to the Big 12 Conference as well.

Comment

Maybe next year we should just go all Beach St. You know...go on the road to Carolina (Duke included), UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, etc. Perhaps lose 'em all and then roll the Valley. What would that accomplish? IDK...maybe a record of 23-7 or something like that. Maybe an rpi of 30 something???

I would never sell my Shockers short...so I would say we could/would probably split that ooc record and wind up at 26-4. Then we get a 1 or 2 seed??? IDK...just wondering out loud after seeing us play a conference member who brought our rpi down 20 freakin' points even after WINNING the damn game. Shiesh...
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Duquene
                              North Carolina A&T
                              UC - Santa Barbara
                              UIPUI
                              Western Kentucky

Fixed for you

Comment

Working...
                              X