No announcement yet.

Aubrey Sherrod (1981-85) Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see Cleo be a future guest. I think that would be nice to hear his thoughts on the game.

Comment

Paul Wight gets my vote. He is a natural show man. I thought Aubry did as well as most people with no experience. He has the BBIQ just not the skill to pass it on talking about it. Did much better as the game progressed. I agree that it is great the way HCGM tries to keep the previous players involved in the program.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
        Paul Wight gets my vote. He is a natural show man. I thought Aubry did as well as most people with no experience. He has the BBIQ just not the skill to pass it on talking about it. Did much better as the game progressed. I agree that it is great the way HCGM tries to keep the previous players involved in the program.
        A wrestling blog recently released news that our beloved "Big Show" had passed away. The news was erroneous thankfully. I was a HUGE fan of Sherrod as a Shocker player, but am in the minority about his work as an analyst. He was bad in the beginning and below average after that. The majority of the time he regurgitated what Shane said, or made a blanket statement without explaining the details. I hope the next guest analyst is better.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          A wrestling blog recently released news that our beloved "Big Show" had passed away. The news was erroneous thankfully. I was a HUGE fan of Sherrod as a Shocker player, but am in the minority about his work as an analyst. He was bad in the beginning and below average after that. The majority of the time he regurgitated what Shane said, or made a blanket statement without explaining the details. I hope the next guest analyst is better.
          Watch more Drake and Evansville home games. Their regulars are horrible!
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Watch more Drake and Evansville home games. Their regulars are horrible!
            Our standards are what we make them. I get what you are saying, but we aren't Draville. We should put a better product on the air than just throw caution to the wind hoping a hall-of-famer carries the day. He swung and missed. I hope this experiment gets better.

Comment

I am unsure of what Aubrey currently does for a living, but it is incredibly difficult for anyone who does not do color commentary for a living to come into a situation like this and be really great the first time out. It also probably doesn't help that he's a more soft-spoken guy by nature. I'm sure he could become more comfortable the more often he did this (I'm not sure what plans they have for the future), but commentary in general is a tough job and you also need the right personality and temperament for it.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I was a HUGE fan of Sherrod as a Shocker player, but am in the minority about his work as an analyst. He was bad in the beginning and below average after that. The majority of the time he regurgitated what Shane said, or made a blanket statement without explaining the details. I hope the next guest analyst is better.
                Our standards are what we make them. I get what you are saying, but we aren't Draville. We should put a better product on the air than just throw caution to the wind hoping a hall-of-famer carries the day. He swung and missed. I hope this experiment gets better.
                You make valid points; it's probably not a good idea to let someone on the air (color commentator) without experience or an audition (I'm making an assumption here). If the person passes the audition, maybe a 'smidge' of training before throwing them to the wolves. Interview these former greats at halftime of a home game and hire someone with a little broadcast experience to do 'color'. Maybe there's a local sportscaster that would be interested in providing color commentary? Please, please don't give us Will Kunkle.

At least Aubrey didn’t say, “and boom goes the dynamite”; yikes, talk about stage fright. :)
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Some of you act like they are auditioning for a job. I got the idea that they are trying to get former Shocker players/greats involved with the program.

Maybe they are auditioning for a permanent color analyst, but I didn't get that idea.

Comment

I think there has to be more respect given to the task of having a person that has the ability to communicate the details of what takes place during a high level college basketball game. I don't have knowledge that Sherrod has any previous experience delivering this skill. My interpretation is this isn't in his future. I still love him for what he brought to this program. If our fan base heard this product during a Redbird game with Osiris Eldridge doing the analysis, and it turned out just like Sherrod's game, we would have a field day criticizing the end result, just sayin.

Comment

... Randy Smithosn

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        Some of you act like they are auditioning for a job. I got the idea that they are trying to get former Shocker players/greats involved with the program.

Maybe they are auditioning for a permanent color analyst, but I didn't get that idea.
                        You’re probably correct and some of us are over analyzing the situation; sounds like it’s a one-time appearance for Aubrey and the other two unless someone knocks it out of the park on the air. Maybe someday Ron Baker will return as a color commentator; I believe he has the skills to do it well.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          ... Randy Smithson
                          Funny. Because that thought popped into my head as I was typing my post. Of course, the next thought was "Please God, No!"

To bad Fred and Ron are otherwise occuppied they would be great.

Jason Perez perhaps?

Comment

I am 99% positive that this was an effort to include former Shocker players and NOT an on the air interview process to measure applicants. I mean if they really wanted to go to the bottom of the barrel I know a guy that is a really good golfer and has some broadcast experience they could get him. :)

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              I am 99% positive that this was an effort to include former Shocker players and NOT an on the air interview process to measure applicants. I mean if they really wanted to go to the bottom of the barrel I know a guy that is a really good golfer and has some broadcast experience they could get him. :)
                              That bottom is apparently endless...especially if you know a guy who knows a guy (wink, wink).

Comment

Working...
                              X