Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aubrey Sherrod (1981-85) Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

"Aubrey Sherrod to serve as TV analyst" - KWCH

Shockers Hall of Famer Aubrey Sherrod will serve as the guest analyst for the television broadcast of Wichita State vs Indiana State.

and

WICHITA, Kan. – Shocker Sports Hall of Famer Aubrey Sherrod will serve as television analyst for Wednesday's Wichita State men's basketball game at Indiana State on Cox Channel Kansas.

"Shocker Sports Hall of Famer, Aubrey Sherrod will serve as guest analyst on Wednesday’s (12/28/16) Wichita State men’s basketball telecast at Indiana State on Cox Channel Kansas.

Sherrod was a three-time all-conference selection for the Shockers from 1981-85 and ranks seventh on the school’s all-time scoring list with 1,765 career points.

Cox is scheduled to produce three Shocker road dates in 2016-17. Games at Drake (Feb. 1) and Southern Illinois (Feb. 15) will also feature a Shocker legend as guest commentator, alongside play-by-play voice Shane Dennis. Selections will be announced approximately two days prior to each contest."

If they only would've had the 3 pt line all four years he was here....

Comment

This is a "drop the mike" idea!

Comment

Also McDonald's all-american game MVP.

Comment

Nice!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            Also McDonald's all-american game MVP.
            Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            Nice!
            It's safe to click on the link below; no "Shock" warning... :)

"The 1981 McDonald’s game, held in Wichita, Kan., was no exception. I saw the 6-foot-5 Jordan pour in a game-record 30 points, including the tying and winning free throws with 11 seconds left, as the East nipped the West, 96-95. He drilled 13-of-19 from the field and all four free throws. In addition, he had six steals and four assists. His 30-point record stood for 17 years until 6-11 Jonathan Bender (Picayune, Miss.) scored 31 in the 1999 game.
            Incredibly, the John Wooden MVP award was shared by 6-6 Adrian Branch, who had 24 points, and 6-4 Aubrey Sherrod, who had 19."

MaxPreps News - The annual high school basketball showcase has featured some of all-time greats, served as a sign of the times over the past three-plus decades.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

"The 1981 McDonald’s game, held in Wichita, Kan., was no exception. I saw the 6-foot-5 Jordan pour in a game-record 30 points, including the tying and winning free throws with 11 seconds left, as the East nipped the West, 96-95. He drilled 13-of-19 from the field and all four free throws. In addition, he had six steals and four assists. His 30-point record stood for 17 years until 6-11 Jonathan Bender (Picayune, Miss.) scored 31 in the 1999 game.
              Incredibly, the John Wooden MVP award was shared by 6-6 Adrian Branch, who had 24 points, and 6-4 Aubrey Sherrod, who had 19."

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/G8mGlzK...-the-years.htm

The article is a fairly accurate account of the times. As someone who has followed college hoops heavily, including high school All-Americans, I remember sitting in the Round House with a buddy asking "Who is that tall guard from North Carolina?" He stood out, by far, even then. Chris Mullin was pretty impressive too.

Comment

That AA game might have had one of the best group of recognizable names of all time. Definitely alot of NBA superstars in that group.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/G8mGlzK...-the-years.htm
                  Awesome! I was lucky enough to be there in the Roundhouse that evening as an 11 year old basketball junkie. A smorgasbord of talent! Appreciate the story and recount WstateU.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

"Forrest believes in Jesus Christ – and helping others, more than he expects others to help him. One day, he wants the teenagers that he coaches and then counsels to find something better than his mug shot when they Google his name. He wants them to work toward a goal with the laser focus that he lacked."When I played in the McDonald's all-American game in Wichita (Kansas), everybody wanted to go out after practice," Forrest said. "As we were leaving, we saw all the lights turned off except one. There's Michael Jordan shooting.

"Me and Milt (Wagner, his future teammate at U of L) looked at each other said, ‘Look at this stupid guy out there shooting.' It should have been us out there with him. I should have been out there working on my game. That's the thing I didn't have … growing up, I didn't have any guidance.""

Comment

Had to laugh at the price of this... click (a safe click) on link below and then click (another safe click) on the score card. Wonder if the former @DaShox: is the seller? Guess I should have kept my program; what a dummy!

Comment

I always wondered what happened to Eugene "The Dunkin' Machine" McDowell.

I lost my game roster/program many years ago. It's nice to have a reminder of that experience right here on Shockernet.

Also, wasn't Sean Miller the halftime entertainment for the '81 game as well?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          I always wondered what happened to Eugene "The Dunkin' Machine" McDowell.

I lost my game roster/program many years ago. It's nice to have a reminder of that experience right here on Shockernet.

Also, wasn't Sean Miller the halftime entertainment for the '81 game as well?
                          You might be correct... this mentions four years in a row. Unfortunately, my memory is fading. :)

“The next year, 1978, the McDonald's All-American Game was launched at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. It marked the first time that the country was evenly divided and drew a crowd of 13,063. The West won, 94-86, as MVP Rudy Woods (Bryan, Texas) produced 13 points and 16 rebounds in just 23 minutes.
                          Halftime entertainment was provided by a phenomenal 9-year-old ball-handler named Sean Miller, whose father, John Miller, was one of Pennsylvania's top coaches. He could dribble five basketballs at one time, spin the ball on his finger and do many other impressive feats. He was introduced by 8-year-old Patrick Regan, resplendent in a tuxedo and top hat. They received a standing ovation and were held over the next day to perform at halftime of a 76ers game.
                          This young but talented duo returned for another four years and continued to get standing ovations. Miller was such a big hit that at age 14 he was a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. He had a fine college career as a point guard at Pitt and today is the head coach at the University of Arizona. To show how different recruiting was in that era, the 6-11 Woods signed with Texas A&M on his way to the airport, and another player signed at the airport.”

MaxPreps News - The annual high school basketball showcase has featured some of all-time greats, served as a sign of the times over the past three-plus decades.

Comment

As I suspected; Aubrey was also MVP of the Capital Classic that same month.

The Capital Classic was an All-Star game pitting the best of the DC area (traditionally a hot-bed) against the Rest. Lot's of future Hoya's as you could imagine.

Here's the roster: http://dcbasketball.com/capital_box_scores.php Not much change over from the McDonald's roster.

Comment

Aubrey struggling early.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                              X