Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
    Yes, as long as you leave your feet.

I had one coach admit to me at the start of the year he had his players doing nothing but jumping in the RA with arms/hands extended for 45 minutes of a practice.

Conversely, the previous rule regarding secondary defenders in the RA remains in effect if they do NOT leave their feet.
    It is a blocking foul EVERY time.

That is all.
    You obviously have the rule right and the refs made the right call per current rules.

I think the rule intent was to eliminate defenders from arbitrarily standing under the rim in an attempt to draw a charge. Shaq wasn't there attempting to draw a charge (we all know the UNI position) he was trying to block a shot similar to the way he successfully did it against OU on multiple occasions.

I would like some more adjustments to the rule. I don't know why jumping matters. That idea completely ignores height differences....

Comment

• I can't believe the s-storm that was started when I pointed out that it was an obvious foul on Shaq to anyone not obsessed with ref blaming. I didn't take into account how few people might actually know the rule.

I agree that the new change on jumping is ridiculous. It should be as simple as the defender can't make physical contact with the offensive player within the circle or it's a defensive foul. If the defender can get ball with no other contact, then good play. Otherwise, get the hell out of the restricted circle or be called for a foul.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
        I can't believe the s-storm that was started when I pointed out that it was an obvious foul on Shaq to anyone not obsessed with ref blaming. I didn't take into account how few people might actually know the rule.

I agree that the new change on jumping is ridiculous. It should be as simple as the defender can't make physical contact with the offensive player within the circle or it's a defensive foul. If the defender can get ball with no other contact, then good play. Otherwise, get the hell out of the restricted circle or be called for a foul.
        Keyser,
        Then you will have to take it up with the coaches, as they are the ones who pushed for this change.
        Coaches refer to this as "walling up" on players who attack the basket. Their point (and it's legit) is the defensive player has a right to jump and stay vertical anywhere on the floor
        The other reason is the game had started to evolve where coaches determined that offensive players could just drive towards the basket and be rewarded with a foul and free throws almost every time.
        WSU fans should be familiar with this approach, think UK and the Barnes brothers in the 2014 tournament game.

It is a good rule.

That is all.
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
          Keyser,
          Then you will have to take it up with the coaches, as they are the ones who pushed for this change.
          Coaches refer to this as "walling up" on players who attack the basket. Their point (and it's legit) is the defensive player has a right to jump and stay vertical anywhere on the floor
          The other reason is the game had started to evolve where coaches determined that offensive players could just drive towards the basket and be rewarded with a foul and free throws almost every time.
          WSU fans should be familiar with this approach, think UK and the Barnes brothers in the 2014 tournament game.

It is a good rule.

That is all.
          I also think it's a good rule. I hope it encourages changes to charges everywhere, pushing defenders to actually have to play defense to draw a charge, walling up, etc. I am not a fan of the clutch your pearls charge, put your hands up and contest the ball. I can't think of a single situation in another sport where you actively try to do nothing, ignore the ball, and hope it works out.

Comment

I can't believe the s-storm that was started when I pointed out that it was an obvious foul on Shaq to anyone not obsessed with ref blaming. I didn't take into account how few people might actually know the rule.

The explanation in the video was "sufficient contact" for there to otherwise be a foul called. It is not simple contact, so the defender must not absolutely run away, but it puts the offensive player in the position of making certain that the contact is severe enough. I don't like it, but that appears to be the rule.

In my ideal world, an offensive player who initiates contact anywhere on the floor with any part of his body should be called for an offensive foul.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Well count me in who didn't understand the rule. Lol. Obviously after reading through all these post with very good clarifications on the rule...ShaQ fouled by not jumping or getting out of the arc. Looks like a lot of posters (including me) learned more about the rule the last 48 hours so perhaps this s-storm was a enlightening matter. Lol.

Now let's just hope ShaQ himself was "enlightened" as well.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I am not sure what the rationale for the different treatment of jumping vs being grounded is. Perhaps the thought is that if you are jumping you have had time to anticipate the offensive player's move and have gotten in position in time to jump before contact. If you're grounded there is the opportunity to slide into place late after the offensive player has committed in an attempt to draw a charge. The jumping vs not jumping may just be the easiest way to reduce the judgement involved in making these calls. Rauno does a pretty good job of "walling off" for the Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I am not sure what the rationale for the different treatment of jumping vs being grounded is. Perhaps the thought is that if you are jumping you have had time to anticipate the offensive player's move and have gotten in position in time to jump before contact. If you're grounded there is the opportunity to slide into place late after the offensive player has committed in an attempt to draw a charge. The jumping vs not jumping may just be the easiest way to reduce the judgement involved in making these calls. Rauno does a pretty good job of "walling off" for the Shocks.
                  I believe the rationale is that jumping makes it apparent the defender is defending (i.e. trying to deter the shooter or blocking the shot) rather than trying to draw a charging foul.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                  X